Arkansas G&F Commission Sets Hunting Seasons
For the first time in modern history, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission is proposing an alligator hunting season in the state. Forty alligator possession tags will be available for certain public and private lands in southwest and southeast Arkansas. The proposed season would be the last two weekends in September.
A new one-time hunting license was also proposed for consideration. The proposal offers a hunting license for those hunters looking to experience the sport for the first time while deferring the hunter education requirement. The DHE license would be available to anyone at least 16 years of age and born after Dec. 31, 1968. The hunter would be required to hunt with an adult at least 21 years of age with a valid hunter education card and hunting license. The commission will vote on the proposed license at its April 19 meeting in Little Rock.
Two new deer zones were also proposed in northeast Arkansas. If approved, the two new zones would be designated 4B and 5B and would have a modern gun season (shotgun with slugs or muzzleloader) from Nov. 10 to 18.
The fall hunting season dates were also approved at the meeting.
Season dates for the 2007-2008 deer hunting season:
- Archery – All zones: Oct. 1 to Feb. 29.
- Modern Gun - Zones 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11: Nov. 10 to Nov. 18 and Nov. 22 to Dec. 2.
- Zone 4: Nov. 10 to Nov. 11.
- Zone 5: Nov. 10 to Nov. 11 and Nov. 17 to Nov. 18.
- Zone 4A, 5A, 13, 14 and 15: Nov. 10 to Dec. 9.
- Zones 9 and 12: Nov. 10 to Dec. 16.
- Zone 16, 16A and 17: Nov. 10 to Dec. 25
- Muzzleloader - Zones 1, 2, 3, 4A, 5A, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 15: Oct. 13 to Oct. 21 and Dec. 15 to Dec. 17.
- Zones 4 and 5: Closed.
- Zones 9, 12, 16, 16A and 17: Oct. 13 to Oct. 21 and Dec. 29 to Dec. 31.
The statewide Christmas holiday modern gun deer hunt will be Dec. 26 to 28 with the special youth modern gun deer hunt in all zones (excludes certain WMAs where a modern gun or muzzleloader permit is required to hunt) is scheduled for Nov. 3 to 4.
The commission also tentatively announced the 2008 opening dates for deer season. Archery deer season would open on Oct. 1, 2008 followed by muzzleloader season on Oct. 18, 2008 and modern gun season on Nov. 8, 2008.
A condensed list of the hunting regulation changes are as follows:
- Deer - Remove the zone doe quota permit requirement for Deer Zones 1 and 10 and in turn, add one doe to the combined muzzleloader and modern gun bag limit in those zones for the period of Oct. 13 to Oct. 17 and Nov. 10 to Nov. 11.
- Elk - Changed the Elk Zone 3 quota for the five day December season to two either-sex youth permits and five antlerless permits and changed the Elk Zone 4 quota for the five-day December season to two bull permits and five antlerless permits. Elk Zone A quota changed to three elk for the September 2007 hunt and three elk for the December 2007 hunt. Establish a new Elk Zone B with season dates of Dec. 3-5.
- Computer Assisted Hunting - Banned “computer assisted” hunting to kill wildlife located in the state.