Arkansas Big Game Seasons Set for 2010-11
Commissioners from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission formally approved regulation changes as part of the 2010-11 hunting season-setting process. One change would allow hunters, 65 and older, to participate in the January portion of the statewide youth season.
The 2008-09 season was the first season that hunters 65 and over were allowed to harvest a deer when accompanying a youth hunter during the November youth season. After examining the harvest data, less than 5 percent of the harvest during the two-day youth season was attributed to 65+ hunters. The move will simplify deer hunting regulations, while providing additional hunting opportunities without negatively affecting the resource.
Visit http://www.agfc.com/ to see a summary of the 2010-11 hunting regulations.
Season dates for the 2010-11 deer hunting season:
- Archery – All zones: Oct. 1 to Feb. 28.
- Modern Gun - Zones 1, 1A, 2, 3, 6, 6A, 7, 8, 8A, 10 and 11: Nov. 13-Dec. 5.
Zone 4: Nov. 13-14.
Zone 5: Nov. 13-14 and Nov. 20-21.
Zones 4A, 5A, 14 and 15: Nov. 13-Dec. 12.
Zones 4B and 5B: Nov. 13-21.
Zones 9, 12 and 13: Nov. 13-Dec. 19.
Zone 16, 16A and 17: Nov. 13-Dec. 24.
- Muzzleloader – Zones 1, 1A, 2, 3, 4A, 5A, 6, 6A, 7, 8, 8A, 10, 11, 14 and 15: Oct.16-24 and Dec. 18-20.
Zones 9, 12, 13, 16, 16A and 17: Oct. 16-24 and Dec. 29-31
Zones 4, 4B, 5 and 5B: Closed.
The statewide Christmas holiday modern gun deer hunt is proposed for Dec. 26-28 with two special youth modern gun deer hunts proposed. The first would be Nov. 6-7 with the second Jan. 1-2, 2011.
In other business, the commission:
- * Approved a budget increase of $100,000 in Marine Fuel Tax funds for repair of one mile of the Hunger Run Access Road at Lake Monticello. The trophy bass fishery is a popular spot for largemouth anglers. The City of Monticello is providing an additional $400,000 toward the total project cost of $500,000.
- * Approved a budget increase to fund eight additional waterfowl projects on Petit Jean River and Ed Gordon Point Remove WMAs.
- * Approved a budget increase of $39,417 to be used in the development of a shooting sports range at Batesville. The City of Batesville and Independence County are partners in the project.