Arizona Reviewing 2009 Elk and Antelope Regulations
The proposed recommendations for the 2009 pronghorn antelope and elk hunting regulations will soon be available for review on the department's Web site and at a series of open houses at the Arizona Game and Fish Department's regional offices.
Once approved by the Commission, the 2009 pronghorn antelope and elk hunting regulations establish the season dates, open hunting areas, and hunt permit-tag quantities and allocations.
During the regional open houses, no formal presentation will be made. However, a knowledgeable staff person will be available to discuss regional hunt recommendations. The open house schedules are:
- * Tuesday, Nov. 25, 4-6 p.m., Arizona Game and Fish Department Pinetop regional office, 2878 E. White Mountain Blvd.
- * Tuesday, Nov. 25, 6-8 p.m., Arizona Game and Fish Department Kingman regional office, 5325 N. Stockton Hill Road.
- * Tuesday, Nov. 25, 4-6 p.m., Arizona Game and Fish Department Tucson regional office, 555 N. Greasewood Road.
- * Monday, Dec. 1, 3-5 p.m., Arizona Game and Fish Department Yuma regional office, 9140 E. 28th. St.
- * Monday, Dec. 1, 3-5 p.m., Arizona Game and Fish Department Mesa regional office, 7200 E. University Drive.
- * Tuesday, Dec. 2, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Arizona Game and Fish Department Flagstaff regional office, 3500 S. Lake Mary Road.
The recommendations for pronghorn antelope remain similar to 2008, with the addition of an archery season in Unit 7.
Elk recommendations are also similar to 2008 with a couple of exceptions. To allow for modest population growth in some areas, a reduction of antlerless permits is recommended. However, to encourage hunter recruitment, juniors-only antlerless elk permits numbers are the same as last year. A new CHAMP bull elk hunt of 10 permits is being proposed for Unit 6A. Lastly, the over-the-counter nonpermit tag introduced last year is recommended to continue – but with some minor changes to season dates, hunt areas and boundary descriptions. Hunters interested in this opportunity are encouraged to wait until after the final regulations are available before purchasing a tag.
If you are unable to attend one of these open houses, the 2009 pronghorn antelope and elk hunt recommendations will be posted on the Game and Fish Department's Web site on Saturday, Nov. 22, and you may download a PDF file to review at your leisure. The recommendations will be posted at www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunt_guidelines.shtml.
The recommendations are scheduled to be presented to the Arizona Game and Fish Commission for consideration on Saturday during its Dec. 5-6 meeting at the Francisco Grande Hotel & Golf Resort at 26000 Gila Bend Highway, Casa Grande, AZ 85293.