Archery Education Courses Set for 2004
South Dakota’s big game archers who need archery certification should note that a number of dates for National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) have been posted to the Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) website.
All first-time bowhunters, all bowhunters under the age of 16 and all archery elk applicants must complete a National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) sanctioned Bowhunter Education Course before applying for any of South Dakota’s archery big game licenses.
"Archery application deadlines and seasons will come about quickly, so now is as good a time as any for hunters to schedule an NBEF course," said Hunting Safety Program Specialist Al Bahe. "To help hunters, a list of some of the upcoming courses is listed on the Game, Fish and Parks Web site at www.state.sd.us/gfp/. Look for the archery education link under "Popular Shortcuts." He added that additional classes will be added to the list as information becomes available.
Courses may not be offered in every community, so hunters need to plan ahead to find a convenient course. The first archery deadline to note is archery elk on May 14. Paper applications must be postmarked no later than that date. Online applicants will have up to midnight of the following Monday to apply online.
Following is the current course listing. Call the listed number for further details.
* March 6, Mitchell, K & B Archery 996-9810
* March 6, Mitchell, Cabela's, Tom Norwick, 996-0337
* March 13, Sturgis, Harry Globstad, 347-0027
* March 13, Pierre, Dan McCormick, 224-6528
* March 13, Archery Outfitters, Don Nankivel, 367-9871
* March 28, Yankton, Dakota Archery, Bruce Cull, 665-8340
* April 3, Outdoor Campus-Sioux Falls, Don Nankivel, 362-2777
* April 17, Custer Top Pin Archery, 673-5880
* April 17, Madison, Don Warren, 256-6115
* April 17, Mitchell, Cabela's, Tom Norwick, 996-0337
* May 8, Outdoor Campus-Sioux Falls, Don Nankivel, 362-2777
* May 9, Yankton, Dakota Archery, Bruce Cull, 665-8340
* June 19, Mitchell Cabela's, Tom Norwick, 996-0337
* July 11, Yankton, Dakota Archery, Bruce Cull, 665-8340
* July 17, Sturgis - Community Center, Harry Globstad, 347-0027
* Aug. 7, Outdoor Campus-Sioux Falls, Don Nankivel, 362-2777
* Aug. 7, Pierre, Dan McCormick, 224-6528