Any-Deer Permit Applications Due July 16
Whitetail either sex permits will be available over the counter Aug. 1; seasons, permits outlined PRATT - The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) has announced that applications for resident 2004 Any Deer permits will be available in mid-June from most KDWP offices and the KDWP website.
For those hunters who wish to hunt a mule deer, an application for an Any Deer permit must be submitted to the agency by July 16. All other resident deer permits and game tags, including Whitetail Either Sex permits, may be purchased from license vendors beginning Aug. 1 through Dec. 31. Applications will be mailed to all resident deer hunters who applied for firearms permits last year. Although hunters can obtain Whitetail Either Sex permits throughout the season over the counter, hunters are encouraged to obtain these permits early through the mail to avoid waiting in lines.
Whitetail Anterless Only Deer Game Tags and Statewide Archery permits may also be purchased throughout the season at KDWP offices, county clerks, and some license vendors. Again this year, each hunter is limited to a maximum of one antlered deer permit. However, each hunter may purchase as many as seven antlerless permits and tags in addition to that single antlered permit.
The KDWP deer permit system is designed to maintain healthy numbers of mature bucks in the deer population while allowing a liberal antlerless deer harvest to stabilize the state's deer population.
Deer seasons are as follow:
* Muzzleloader season - Sept. 11-24, 2004;
* Youth and disabled season - Sept. 25-26, 2004;
* Archery season - Oct. 1-Nov. 30 and Dec. 13-31, 2004;
* Special urban firearms season (Unit 19) - Oct. 16-24, 2004; * Regular firearms season - Dec. 1-12, 2004;
* Extended whitetail antlerless only season - Jan. 1-2, 2005 (open only in Deer Management units 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 19) and Jan. 3-9, 2005 in the northern portions of Deer Management Units 7 and 8;
* Deer Management Unit 19 archery antlerless whitetail only season - Jan. 3-31, 2005; and
* Special Southeast Firearms Whitetail Antlerless-Only season (portion of DMU 12): Jan. 3-31, 2005 (by special permit only - apply through KDWP Pratt office by Nov. 5).
Other provisions for the 2004 deer seasons include the following:
* Whitetail Either Sex firearms permits are valid for use during the early muzzleloader-only season and the regular firearms season, with equipment legal for the season in which they are being used.
* Whitetail Antlerless Only permits may be purchased (limit of one per hunter) throughout the season and are valid in all deer management units and on KDWP lands. They are valid during the early muzzleloader, regular firearms, and archery seasons, with equipment legal for the season in which they are being used.
* Any hunter may purchase as many as four Whitetail Anterless Only Deer Game Tags, but only one whitetail antlerless-only game tag may be used in units 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, and 14. The Game Tags are valid for white-tailed antlerless deer only, and may be used during any muzzleloader, archery, or firearms season with equipment legal for the season in which the hunt occurs. Deer Game Tags are not valid on department-managed lands, but may be used on Walk-In Hunting Areas that allow deer hunting. Whitetail Antlerless Only Game Tags may NOT be used in Deer Management units 1, 2, 17, and 18.
* Leftover Antlerless permits (Either Sex, Either Species permits left over from July draw that revert to antlerless only permits) are valid in any season with legal equipment for the season. These permits are available on a first-come, first-served basis from the Pratt Operations Office beginning Aug. 1. They revert to Whitetail Antlerless Only permits during the January seasons.
* Deer management unit 19 will be continued this year to focus greater deer harvest in the Kansas City-to-Topeka corridor, which continues to harbor high deer populations. The boundaries of adjacent units 9, 10, 11, and 14 were realigned to create the new urban unit. In addition to regular seasons (early muzzleloader, archery, regular firearms, and extended antlerless-only), Unit 19 will host a pre-rut firearms season (Oct. 16 - 24), as well as an antlerless-only whitetail archery season (Jan. 3 - 31, 2005).
Those who may hunt Unit 19 include the following:
* Unit 9, 10, 11, and 14 Whitetail Either-Sex permit holders during the muzzleloader season (with muzzleloading equipment only), the regular firearms season, the Jan. 1-2 whitetail antlerless season, and the special Oct. 16-24 firearms season.
* Statewide Archery permit holders during the regular archery season, as well as the Jan. 3-31, 2005, special whitetail antlerless archery season.
* Holders of Hunt-Own-Land permits valid in Unit 19, during any season with legal equipment.
* Holders of Whitetail Antlerless-Only permits, during any season with legal equipment.
* Holders of Whitetail Antlerless-Only Game Tags, during any season with legal equipment. Preference points will be given to unsuccessful applicants in the firearms Any Deer permit draw. Applicants will earn one point for each year he or she is unsuccessful in obtaining an Any Deer permit.
Any Deer, Whitetail Either Sex, Whitetail Antlerless, and Leftover Antlerless only permits are $31. Resident Whitetail Antlerless Only Deer Game Tags are $11.
All permits that may be purchased over the counter will be available by Aug. 1. Applications and detailed information on deer seasons and permitting options are available in the booklet mailed to all of last year's firearms deer permit applicants.
Any hunter who does not receive an application booklet through the mail may obtain one by contacting the department's Pratt Operations Office, (620)672-5911. The deer season information and application booklet can also be downloaded from the KDWP website (www.kdwp.state.ks.us).