Antlerless Big Game Hunting Applications

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Applications for permits to hunt antlerless elk, deer, moose and doe pronghorn during Utah's 2002 antlerless big game seasons will be available by June 4.

Those who applied in previous years should receive a preprinted 2002 application in the mail soon. Those who don't receive an application by June 4 may obtain one from the Division of Wildlife Resources' Web site (, hunting and fishing license agents statewide or Division offices.

To be entered in the draw for permits, applications must be received no later than 5 p.m. on June 17.

Beginning June 4, hunters who have an American Express, Discover, MasterCard of Visa credit card can apply for a permit online at the Division's Web site (

Hunters who don't have a credit card can apply by mailing an application and their fees.

A total of 10,594 cow elk permits; 3,695 doe deer permits; 296 doe pronghorn permits; and 55 cow moose permits, will be available through the public draw this year. Many of Utah's private Cooperative Wildlife Management Units will also have public antlerless permits available. Hunters can apply for these public CWMU permits during the application period.

Antlerless permit numbers are found in Utah's 2002 Antlerless Addendum. The addendum is currently available at Division of Wildlife Resources offices and the Division's Internet Web site. Hunting and fishing license agents will have copies by June 4.

To assure their application is entered in the draw, Division of Wildlife Resources Wildlife Licensing Coordinator Judi Tutorow provides applicants with the following tips and reminders:

* Double-check the hunt numbers you listed. Hunt numbers are highlighted in blue in the Antlerless Addendum. Many applicants end up with the wrong hunt, or no hunt, because they listed the wrong hunt number.

* Send the correct fees. Check your math. You may miss out on your hunt if you don't send enough money.

* Check your credit card number and expiration date. The card must be valid through September 2002 to issue a permit.

* Up to four people may apply together for deer, elk and pronghorn permits. Group applications are not accepted for moose permits.

* Group members are reminded not to combine checks and credit cards for payment. Also, all fees for all applicants in a group must be charged to one credit card.

* Sign your application.

* Before applying for a hunt that occurs on private property, make sure you'll be able to use the permit by obtaining written permission from the landowner to access the property. The Division does not guarantee access and does not have the names of landowners where hunts occur. Hunts that occur mostly on private land are indicated by an asterisk in the proclamation's hunt tables.

Draw results will be posted by Aug. 1 at the Division's Web site and Division offices and hunter education centers.

Successful applicants may be notified by mail before Aug. 1.

Those with questions may call their nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office, or the Division's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.