Accidental Discharge in Hunter Education Class Highlights Necessity for Firearm Safety

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

An accidental discharge of a shotgun in a state-sponsored hunter education class on Wednesday, April 19, 2006, points to the importance of firearm safety at all times. No one was injured in the incident.

The incident took place during a hunter education class in Livingston. An instructor loaded a 20-gauge double barrel shotgun with a 28-gauge shell with the intention of demonstrating how, in the excitement of the hunt, a hunter can accidentally load the wrong gauge ammunition into a firearm and create a dangerous situation. During the demonstration, the 28-gauge shell dislodged from the chamber and accidentally discharged.

“This is an incredibly unfortunate incident. We are relieved that no one was hurt,” said Thomas Baumeister, Fish, Wildlife and Parks Education Bureau Chief and Hunter Education State Coordinator.

The shotgun pellets went into the ceiling of the community room in the Livingston Public Library. Although no one was injured, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks takes this incident seriously and is investigating.