16 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: Chestertown, Md
Joined: 09/08/2005
Posts: 25
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT

Just returned from Zimbabwe and harvested a 40 inch 2200 pound Cape Buffalo and a 180 pound Leopard with hounds. The buffalo was taken at 150 yards with a 375 H&H Federal Sledgehammer bullet. It went down with one shot. Broke his shoulder, broke his neck, and then went thru his horn. Four holes in one buffalo with one bullet. A second shot was taken from 100 yards to insure the buffalo was finished. First time in 25 years that my PH has seen a buffalo go down with one shot from a 375 H&H. Hound hunting a leopard is a heart pounding experience with the cat at bay on the ground. I had to approach within 30 feet and wait for an opening to fire. Most times one is only seconds away from a charge. Two weeks before a doctor had a charge and missed. The two professional hunters fired and the leopard died on one professional hunter"s leg. My situation was somewhat different. One shot with a Barnes X bullet in 375 H & H and the kill was instant. This was my second trip to Africa. The first trip was for plains game in Namibia. Anyone interested in an African Safari and looking for pointers for what to look out for, give me a shout.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT

I am 98% sure I want to go to Africa to hunt buffalo. I'll take any reccomendations you have to offer.

BTW, my homestate is MD.

Offline
Location: Chestertown, Md
Joined: 09/08/2005
Posts: 25
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT

MY home state is Maryland also.. Need to fine out some way to talk to each other.

Offline
Location: Mobile County, Alabama
Joined: 09/09/2007
Posts: 310
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT

Africa is indeed a fantastic place to hunt. I went in 2005 to South Africa.

A friend of mine puts together hunts and took me along. I enjoyed every minute of it.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT
leopard wrote:
MY home state is Maryland also.. Need to fine out some way to talk to each other.

Yes, I saw that you're from Chestertown, MD. I've been gone for about 11 years so my geography is a little rough. I have a bow hunter cousin that lives in Denton and my brother who now lives in PA hunts on the Eastern Shore.

So, what pointers can you provide on hunting buffalo in Africa?

Offline
Location: Chestertown, Md
Joined: 09/08/2005
Posts: 25
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT

Many outfitters offer a buffalo special. If you are not going to provide retirement for a taxidermist, that is the way to go. There are some great deals in Botswana and Tanzania. If the climate in Zimbabwe gets bettter , I would consider that first. I have a friend in Zimbabwe as we speak hunting for a buffalo and leopard. I will know more when he returns. I took a buffalo and a leopard special back to back . The Buffalo special was $8495 for a 7 day hunt and the leopard special was $7995 for a 10 day hunt.Trophy fees included. That makes for a 17 day hunt for $16,500. Had I taken the standard 14 day leopard-buffalo combination, the costs would have been the $800 daily rate times 14 days which would have been $11200 plus a trophy fee of $3500 for the leopard and $2500 for the buffalo bringing the total to $17200. I actually got three more hunting days for $700 dollars less. It is up to the outfitter if he chooses to honor that arrangement and mine did. I know the prices have gone up on all the hunts. Just some food for thought. I am 62 years old and buffalo hunting is a young mans sport. My outfitter was wonderful and paced the hunt to match my physical ability. I still walked 12 miles in the bush to get my buffalo. Take my word for it. If you want to hunt a buffalo and money is the question, save half, borrow the other half, and go do it. I should have gone 20 years ago. Better late than never. My next trip will be for crop damage elephants in Zimbabwe. The normal trophy fee for one elephant is $10,000 to $14,000. The crop damage permit allows you to shoot five elephants for $10,000. The only catch is if you want a set of tusks, you must place a reserve bid on them at the local ivory auction. In closing, if you plan to hunt buffalo, start walking now.

Offline
Location: USA
Joined: 06/04/2006
Posts: 166
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT
leopard wrote:
Many outfitters offer a buffalo special. If you are not going to provide retirement for a taxidermist, that is the way to go. There are some great deals in Botswana and Tanzania. If the climate in Zimbabwe gets bettter , I would consider that first. I have a friend in Zimbabwe as we speak hunting for a buffalo and leopard. I will know more when he returns. I took a buffalo and a leopard special back to back . The Buffalo special was $8495 for a 7 day hunt and the leopard special was $7995 for a 10 day hunt.Trophy fees included. That makes for a 17 day hunt for $16,500. Had I taken the standard 14 day leopard-buffalo combination, the costs would have been the $800 daily rate times 14 days which would have been $11200 plus a trophy fee of $3500 for the leopard and $2500 for the buffalo bringing the total to $17200. I actually got three more hunting days for $700 dollars less. It is up to the outfitter if he chooses to honor that arrangement and mine did. I know the prices have gone up on all the hunts. Just some food for thought. I am 62 years old and buffalo hunting is a young mans sport. My outfitter was wonderful and paced the hunt to match my physical ability. I still walked 12 miles in the bush to get my buffalo. Take my word for it. If you want to hunt a buffalo and money is the question, save half, borrow the other half, and go do it. I should have gone 20 years ago. Better late than never. My next trip will be for crop damage elephants in Zimbabwe. The normal trophy fee for one elephant is $10,000 to $14,000. The crop damage permit allows you to shoot five elephants for $10,000. The only catch is if you want a set of tusks, you must place a reserve bid on them at the local ivory auction. In closing, if you plan to hunt buffalo, start walking now.

Very good advice Leopard! Especially the leopard hunt should be an exclusive hunt for Leopard, and should be a minimum of 14 days, for a bait hunt, and and a minimum of 18 days for a tracking hunt. A dog hunt can be done in a shorther time, and with fewer baits (cutting cost). Most Leopard PHs use baits whether you are hunting over bait, tracking, or dog hunting.

Dog hunters usually place baits along roads, to get a strike point for the dogs to start on, saveing valuable time. Trackers also use baits for the same reason to get a starting point in the quickest way possible. The bait hunter will place several baits in trees , and replentish them every two or three days. This takes a lot of baits, and time, so this hunt needs to be longer, to assure success. Of course the baits, can be trophies as well, but that inflates the cost.

For hunting Buffalo only, you can do as little as a 7 day hunt, and have a fiar chance of getting a good Buffalo, and no baits are needed at all. It would be a shame, however, to go all the way to Africa, and not take at least a couple of plains game in the process. The airfare is the same either way, and it will cost the airfare AGAIN when, and you will return, to go again to collect things you wish you had taken the first time.

When you consider the cost of a guided ELK hunt in North America, for "ONE" animal, that you may or may not get, being higher than a 7 day Cape Buffalo hunt, for a Buffalo, and two or three other animals, the choice is a no-brainer!

On my first trip to Africa, I took a Cape Buffalo, and Hippo, and Cookson's wildebiest, an Impala, and wart hog, and a zebra.

Figure on the trophy fees, but the shipping will be alomst a year later, and the taxidermy can be done on a "one at a time" basis over the next year. It's all fun, and the spread out over three years, is not only less painful financially, but lengthens the joy of the Safari! I'm 71 yrs old, and I was 46 yrs old before I went to Africa, that first time, and I too wish I had done it much sooner.

don't wait, go down in Africa, and listen to the lions roar, while sitting around the lappa, with your PH, with the Southern Cross in view , there is nothing you can do with your cloths on that can compare, and WILD Africa is fast disappearing ! If you want to know how I feel about Africa, read my signature line below! Don't wait! Thumbs up [/b]

Offline
Location: USA
Joined: 06/04/2006
Posts: 166
Re: Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT
leopard wrote:
Just returned from Zimbabwe and harvested a 40 inch 2200 pound Cape Buffalo and a 180 pound Leopard with hounds. t.

MAN!!!! that was one big Buffalo, I'd like to see a picture of him. The average Cape Buffalo male weighs about 800 Ks, which equals 1760 lbs. A 2200 lbs bull would tip the scales at 1000 Ks, which is very big indeed for a 40" bull. Your leopard is a big one as well, and though they go bigger, that is one fine spotted cat. Thumbs up

Where were you hunting in Zim, and who was the dog man on your Leopard?

Offline
Location: Chestertown, Md
Joined: 09/08/2005
Posts: 25
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT

I was hunting about 2 hours south of Bulawayo on a ranch called Sandeloni. The houndsman was Tristen Peacock. He has taken over 250 leopards with his hounds. I have done the bait hunts for leopard, seen some smaller cats, but, nothing compares with the rush of a pending leopard charge from 25 feet away. I was a parachutist for many years of my life and always said that feeling could never be duplicated. I even went back at 55 years old and jumped from 14000 feet. The pending leopard charge surpassed the feeling. The safari company was Zimafrica. Tristen is their primary leopard man.

Offline
Location: Marfa, Texas, USA
Joined: 01/05/2008
Posts: 25
Cape buffalo

We won't allow our nine cape buffalo to be hunted yet, for we have not yet established a breeding herd, but once our numbers are up ithe option will be on the table. Untill then there are many other animals that are interesting. Plus, on this ranch you can't tell that your not in Africa.

Offline
Location: Canada
Joined: 01/02/2008
Posts: 6
Zimbabwe Buffalo and Leopard HUNT

Leopard,

Can you tell me what has to occur for me to bring my rifles into Zim. I am traveling from Canada to Frankfurt to Jo-Burg.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
leopard huntingjdemby203/21/2004 14:37 pm
Swap Maryland Goose and Deer Huntleopard008/18/2007 01:58 am
Leopard hunting in Zimbabweleopard108/17/2007 13:34 pm
I'm researching my first African Safari huntKamloopsGrizzlyHunter1002/06/2013 13:29 pm
Leopard hunting in AfricaHunt Okanogan203/28/2011 10:14 am