5 replies [Last post]
wyoming antelope 2004

Hi-
I am from Indiana and have always thought about trying my hand at antelope hunting in Wyoming. Last year I ordered the big game application booklet and studied it but it was too daunting to figure out where to apply. I was afraid that I'd pick an area that is too rugged or not suitable for antelope. This year I got the urge again, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with info as far as what units have decent public land possibilities, how the hunter access program works, etc. I've checked out all the draw and harvest information on the WY game and fish website and frankly, I'm even more unsure of what to do! I understand that sometimes people don't like to post info like this on websites so if you want to email me, my email address is marty_amy@zcloud.net It will just be me going out by myself so if you have any advice on safety tips that'd be great too!! Here in Indiana, the most dangerous thing is falling out of a tree stand!
Thank you for your time,
Marty

bitmasher's picture
wyoming antelope 2004

Take a look at this thread for some ideas.

If your going to hunt alone, just tell somebody when you leave and when you expect to be back. Then check in when you get back.

Good Luck! You'll be amazed at how fast they are at full throttle.

[ This Message was edited by: bitmasher on 2004-01-15 22:21 ]

wyoming antelope 2004

Martyd77:

1) Bitmashers second comment should be heeded.

2) Click on Forum Index and scroll down to Offseason topic and click. You can either read article or skip it and scroll down to Wyoming address and click it. This is somewhat helpful though there are still OTHER options. If no one has E/m'd you yet and you feel you need more info, send me an E/M (I'll send you my address in P. Message so as not to tie up Forum anymore) I've been to a few different areas since the 70's in Utah, Wyoming and Idaho. I went to college in Idaho and am hoping to move back there FOR GOOD soon, however I may have to spend a few years in Utah first due to potential new employer.

Re: Bitmasher's closing comment: I can personally attest to the fact that the Pronghorn can motor. On my first bowhunt while prescouting to get the lay of the land, my hunting partner and I were driving down a long prairie road and a herd buck ran up started to pace us about 3 yds to the right of my truck. I sped up and it turned into a pacing game and fairly quickly he had enough and kicked it into Mac2 and cut in FRONT of my truck(by a VERY HEALTHY margin) and as I glanced down at the speedo, it was at 55MPH and he passed us like we were standing still and he STILL had some more O/D speed left, trust me on this. It was truly amazing.

You MUST to be an EXTREMELY CAPABLE MARKSMAN or a former SOPS SIPER to be able to make CONSISTENT 1 shot kills on SPRINTING antelope. Grazing or standing, no problem. A COMPLETELY different situation. I hope you enjoy Wyoming, it's a great state.

wyoming antelope 2004

Martyd77:

Sorry for the typo. That should have been SOPS SNIPER.

Apologies to any former Snipers.

"MY BAD"

wyoming antelope 2004

Thanks alot for the info guys, all the help i can get is appreciated!!
Marty

bitmasher's picture
wyoming antelope 2004

I've witnessed the same thing Knobs, regarding the antelope and the running by a vehicle. It has happened to me two times, neither time was I driving. Both were males (one pretty decent) and both times it was in the dark, one before dawn and the other after sunset on dirt roads.

First time it happens, it is definitely a "WHAT THE ....?!?!" moment, its not everyday game (of an variety) decides to run beside your vehicle.

I suspect they are just curious creatures and get attracted to the head lights or something.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Wyoming AntelopeCVC1609/15/2007 09:37 am
Wyoming Non-resident Antelope or Mule Deerminnesota_muley2604/07/2012 05:13 am
Wyoming Antelope ResultsCOMeatHunter806/20/2013 17:36 pm
Wyoming Antelope Unit 16nmmuledeerhunter1608/29/2012 21:17 pm
Wyoming Antelope Hunting Accesscodyac21610/16/2010 20:11 pm