4 replies [Last post]
BoneCollector's picture
Wyoming 2014

Well…hopefully this is the year. I’ve got 2 pp and should draw a Region H-General Rifle tag. I’ve been on a 2 year hunting hiatus due to my wife’s battle with cancer. Yeah…she kicked its butt!  I’ve always wanted to hunt the high country and now she is encouraging me. Who am I to argue?! 

I’ve hunted eastern Wyoming (B) back in 2011, thus this areas will be my backup plan and a filler on the off years for Region H. However, it lacks that “IT” factor only found in the peaks of the Rockies. I’m not looking for GPS coordinates, but from 2,000 miles away, it can be a daunting task of selecting the “right” area. I want to find a unit that I can plan to hunt and learn every other year. I understand that I need to steer clear of the wildlife areas and private as this is a DIY hunt. Region H seems to offer this opportunity. I am hoping that a few of my hunting brothers can comment on my thoughts here and possibly offer some new ideas. You can pm me if you’d rather it not be made public.

I plan to get into the unit a day before season and get as far from roads and trails as I can. I know this can make for a heavy pack-out. But is there a better feeling! (Insert “old enough to know better, to young to care” comment here) I’m looking at units 151, southern 152, 142, 138. Based on my research, there is ample public ground and descent heard numbers. I’ve got a call into a biologist and have a list of questions prepared for the Pinedale and Jackson wildlife offices. As helpful as they are, they can be equally as frustrating at times with the vague answers. I understand why they speak this way, but sometimes it creates more doubt in your mind.  The present winter and winter of 2012/13 along with good rainfall last year should prove to be beneficial. Here’s to hoping for another good summer. The 2012 harvest was low, but understandably so.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions. Any questions for me, ask away.

~Bill

BoneCollector's picture
Still looking

Still looking for any advice. I narrowed down my list to my top two units within the General Area. One I mentioned earlier and I added a new one. Research is tough from a pc, even with google earth, but I'm getting as ready as I possibly can.
I can't wait until September!

Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
First off, I'm glad to hear

First off, I'm glad to hear your wife licked the big C! Second, I think you meant "wilderness" areas, rather than staying out of the "wildlife" areas, LOL! Third, I'd stay up in the first two units you mentioned and find some good pockets holding deer, get to hidden high vantage points, and then sit and glass until you literally are going blind! The other good thing about those two units is that they are 100% National Forest, which completely takes the possible trespassing issue out of the picture. Good luck and be safe!

BoneCollector's picture
thanks

Thanks TG. I will send you an e-mail with a few more detailed questions that maybe you can assist me with.

Yeah...sorry about the typo's. smile

Can't wait until September!

Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Fire away and I'll do my best

Fire away and I'll do my best to either answer or contact someone that can!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Wyoming deer huntingmattyboy13112/22/2013 21:15 pm
2014 Wyoming deer hunting advice...mikep12004101/24/2014 12:40 pm
2014 ProclaimationJSmitty301/09/2014 07:04 am
Wyoming Tag Fee IncreasesCritter1101/19/2013 06:04 am
NM ELK muzzy 6c. 2014chucky008/21/2014 17:06 pm