9 replies [Last post]
Win. M40 .270wsm????

I'm new to this forum but I saw this review posted on another forum for this rifle. My local hunting suply store (Wal-Mart) has one of these rifles and I really liked the looks and some of the features. Has anyone used one of these rifles and how well has it preformed? I'm looking at the Winchester model 70 super shadow .270WSM

I want to know ALL of the pro's and con's and what (if any) modifications had to be made to get it to preform to a high standard.

Thank's ahead of time for any help.

Win. M40 .270wsm????

My brother just got one of those in 300 wsm and he loves it. It is a fine little gun and really light. The stock is a bit flimsy but I'm used to the stock on my rem sendero which is much tougher and much heavier. I would not hesitate to buy one of whose whinchesters at all. Brothers is very accurate for a light rifle.

Win. M40 .270wsm????
ChesterGolf wrote:
My brother just got one of those in 300 wsm and he loves it. It is a fine little gun and really light. The stock is a bit flimsy but I'm used to the stock on my rem sendero which is much tougher and much heavier. I would not hesitate to buy one of whose whinchesters at all. Brothers is very accurate for a light rifle.

The .270 that I was looking at seamed like it had a really sturdy synthetic stock on it. I haven't bought it yet so I haven't fired it. How do you mean flimsy? What kind of problems was he having with it and what did he do to fix it, if anything?

Win. M40 .270wsm????

OT

Took apart the exact rifle you mention to tweak the trigger a bit for a friend. The bedding looks like hot glue gun squirts. The stock forend is on the flimsy side to me, not as bad as a savage but not like a good one should be. But if you don't apply sling tension while shooting it shouldn't matter anyway.

Other than tweaking the trigger the gun is all factory in 270wsm and topped with a quality scope it shoots under an inch at 100 for 3 shot groups. Not shabby for a factory rifle.

Jeff

Win. M40 .270wsm????

If I decide to purchase it what can I do to fix the problem with the stock? What recomendations for the beding to make it a more stable rifle, I do use sling tenson and don't want it falling apart on me.

Win. M40 .270wsm????

If it were me, I'd replace the stock with a McMillan if I had the cash.

But the simple fix will add a little weight but work well. Get some small aluminum stock. Angle or tube. Small enough to drop in 2 pieces in the front end. YOu'll have to relieve some places to get it down to the bottom and away from the barrel. Then set it up in acraglass gel or something like JB Weld or Steel bed. That will stiffen it up considerably.

If really important you could add in chopped fiberglass or fiberglass 2 pieces of stock together with mat until just about big enough and then bed that in the front end.

On the bedding, thats easy. Just rebed it with Devcon or Steel bed. Take out the pressure point and float the tube. If it won't shoot you can put the pressure point back in.

Jeff

Win. M40 .270wsm????

Like rost said the stock is just not a quality stock. No worst than most factory syn. stocks but there are better stocks out there. The Mcmillan is an excellant choice and I am happy with the HS Precision that is on my Sendero. If you handle the winchester and compare it with one of the above stocks you will immediately see the difference but the other stocks will add weight to the gun which could be a consideration.

Win. M40 .270wsm????

I've been thinking about going with a thumbhole stock, problem is I haven't been having any luck finding a synthetic one. This, like all of my rifles, is going to be a working weapon and I'm not real big on the wood stocks for the kind of terrain and weather conditions we got here in E.TX. Anyone have any ideas were I can check for a synthetic thumbhole stock?

Win. M40 .270wsm????

Here is a link to one company that makes those stocks:

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/product8.html

Win. M40 .270wsm????

The BC stocks that I've seen will end up being about the same as the Win stock. But you can get it and modify it to stiffen it up.

I just got to thinking, with your short range shots and all, there really wouldn't be that much reason to go to thumbhole etc.... you could get by with factory everything. Even with the weak stock as you don't need to sling up to make a 50-100 yard shot. Just toss it up and pop one off?

Good luck, Jeff

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Opinions on Weatherby 270 mag Mark V Pleasejigman608/10/2005 18:15 pm
Benelli R-1elkaholic4life002/21/2006 15:23 pm
Savage Riflesnmmuledeerhunter305/21/2012 07:38 am
What would you carry?fuzzybear1112/05/2005 15:26 pm
Went to the range today.hunter251309/10/2011 17:55 pm