14 replies [Last post]
Why not a 308???

Just curious, but why doesn't this amazing cartridge get a lot more credit? To start with, it meets or slightly exceeds the 30.06 in bullet weights up to the 165 grain range while burning less powder (and tops it in all around accuracy). It also doesn't require a long barrel to do it's thing and with the low recoil it can be built in nice, handy rifle sizes. I still personally advocate something with a little more steam while hunting on Grizzly turf, but as a good do it all without rattling your brains rifle, how could you beat it?

Why not a 308???

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder Big smile There is nothing "amazing" about the 308 or any other cartridge for that matter. Because it may out perform the 30.06 in some aspects(I don't know) doesn't make it # 1 on any list. The 06 just happens to be the most versatile rifle,in my most humble opinion but that's about as good as it gets. I like the 308,30.06 and about thirty more calibres equally.
They will all be around until/if their popularity declines but I don't think any one reading this will live long enough to see it.

Why not a 308???

Cause its not new and exciting.

Don Fischer's picture
Why not a 308???
remington wrote:

Even if it was, it doesn't drive a hunting bullet over 3000fps. It's actually one of my favorite cartridges, I do prefer it over the 30-06. But mine has been stolen by a punk kid with the same initals as me. Had to rescue a number of rifles from him recently! I only hope he grows to love that rifle as I did. Thing that really irks him is that my 6.5x55 is reserved for his daughter when she grows up! Big smile

Why not a 308???
Don Fischer wrote:
remington wrote:

Even if it was, it doesn't drive a hunting bullet over 3000fps. It's actually one of my favorite cartridges, I do prefer it over the 30-06. But mine has been stolen by a punk kid with the same initals as me. Had to rescue a number of rifles from him recently! I only hope he grows to love that rifle as I did. Thing that really irks him is that my 6.5x55 is reserved for his daughter when she grows up! Big smile

It comes real close with 150 grain bullets. Just flipping thru the Nosler Reloading guide and it shows 150 grain bullets at 2948fps. The 06 only beats it by about 50 fps. The 308 was designed by the military to replace the 30/06 ballistically with 150 grain bullets. It does all of that. Now if ya get into the 180 or bigger it peater off quickly. Granted it's no hot road but like the 06 it kills game real nice.

Why not a 308???

We know a lot of cartridges are similar. What matters more to me these days is the rifle. I am older and I want a light gun for the hills.

The Kimber 84M Montana or a Classic for that matter is a lot lighter than many rifles. This pleases me.

I am an old 30-06 fan from way back. I never bothered with the 270 and the only 308 I got way back then was a pre 64 M70 and that was to get the rifle too.

My 308 Kimber is very good for me.

Why not a 308???

I couldn't agree more. I've done my time with heavy packs and heavy rifles and heavy everything. I hunt for pleasure and to see country and enjoy it and discovered that enjoyability goes out the door while packing heavy gear which is another big reason I find the 308 so appealing these days.

Don Fischer's picture
Why not a 308???
remington wrote:
Don Fischer wrote:
remington wrote:

It comes real close with 150 grain bullets. Just flipping thru the Nosler Reloading guide and it shows 150 grain bullets at 2948fps. The 06 only beats it by about 50 fps. The 308 was designed by the military to replace the 30/06 ballistically with 150 grain bullets. It does all of that. Now if ya get into the 180 or bigger it peater off quickly. Granted it's no hot road but like the 06 it kills game real nice.

Hate to say it but if the 30-06 was introduced today it would fall on its face!

Why not a 308???

I have hunted with a .308 for several years. I use 165gr bullets and it has always dropped deer like a bag of rocks.

Why not a 308???

I've had it with this argument. I'm going out right now and just get one of each. I don't have a .308 or an 06 anymore. None of you guys better tell my wife either. So there! neener!

Why not a 308???

At one time, in one of their manuals. Speer had a 150gr 308 win load listed that surpassed the 150gr 30-06 load.
I called and questioned them on it and they verified it to be true. It made sense seeing as how the 308 win is loaded to much higher pressures than the 30-06.