50 replies [Last post]
SoCoKHntr's picture
Whos putting in for Goats in 2009?
NMBlackGold wrote:
SoCoKHntr wrote:
NMBlackGold wrote:
hellomcfly wrote:
Thanks BlackGold, i got lucky with that buck. he was the first buck we saw, shot him at first light.....and he was the biggest buck we saw all day lol

Antelope hunters are probably the most modest hunters of all, its always "we lucked into one" never giving ourselves credit. But in reality, we spend more time on the range and more time with Binos glued to our eyeballs than any other hunters: If you think about it, because of the short season (s), our room for error is the smallest for any other game animal. There is no "next weekend". I wish other hunters were like us. I would drink a beer with anyone of you all.

Have you hunted elk?

I don't know friend, I've spent plenty of time at the rifle range getting prepped for everything from coyotes to elk and with my eyes pastered to the glass as well on these hunts and not a lot of room for error.

Just saying. Big smile

SoCokhntr: Yes, but I remember using my ears more than my spotting scope or binos. And remember not worrying about getting on another bull before the season ended abruptly. As for coyotes, you may have me on that one.....not sure how long our coyote season is here in NM.

Year round I believe in NM. Give it a try you'll love it as much or more then Antelope. Anyhoo, take care!

hellomcfly's picture

I think for me, elk is the hardest animal to hunt. i've eaten elk tag soup for 5 seasons in a row. your right though, antelope has its challenges too. i think the hardest part is field judging.

come to think of it....all hunting is difficult. But that's why it's called "Hunting" and not "Killing!"

In the great scheme of things I do not find antelope hunting all that hard when compared to some other game animals. It has it's challenges to be sure, as all game animals do.....the challenges are just different.

For me antelope are a 'fun' hunt, as in very enjoyable. Wide open spaces, a unique game animal with great eyes. Lots of glassing. Lots of walking. Easy to pack out. Thumbs up

Makwa wrote:
In the great scheme of things I do not find antelope hunting all that hard when compared to some other game animals. It has it's challenges to be sure, as all game animals do.....the challenges are just different.

For me antelope are a 'fun' hunt, as in very enjoyable. Wide open spaces, a unique game animal with great eyes. Lots of glassing. Lots of walking. Easy to pack out. Thumbs up

I thinking standing in the middle of a pasture and watching a pronghorn buck bedded with 10 does at 1500 yards, armed with a 70lb compound bow is the most helpless feeling in hunting!! The second most helpless feeling, pulling your bow back on one as it sneaks into a waterhole. You might as well be hunting with a rubberband and a stick. Thank god for high powered rifles.

SoCoKHntr's picture
NMBlackGold wrote:
Makwa wrote:

I thinking standing in the middle of a pasture and watching a pronghorn buck bedded with 10 does at 1500 yards, armed with a 70lb compound bow is the most helpless feeling in hunting!! The second most helpless feeling, pulling your bow back on one as it sneaks into a waterhole. You might as well be hunting with a rubberband and a stick. Thank god for high powered rifles.

Well, hell NM, you didn't say it was with a bow! Hunting a 'big buck' with a bow especially if this was stalking and not over a waterhole would be a righteous challenge in and of itself. I've read hunting Big Mulie bucks with a bow is one of the most challenging hunts also.

As others have stated regular rifle antelope, unless again your trophy hunting, is usually a quick affair and tags are filled the first day.

SoCoKHntr wrote:
NMBlackGold wrote:
Makwa wrote:

Well, hell NM, you didn't say it was with a bow! Hunting a 'big buck' with a bow especially if this was stalking and not over a waterhole would be a righteous challenge in and of itself. I've read hunting Big Mulie bucks with a bow is one of the most challenging hunts also.

As others have stated regular rifle antelope, unless again your trophy hunting, is usually a quick affair and tags are filled the first day.

I guess the open terrane they inhabit works in their (pronghorns) favor when up against a bow hunter, and visa versa with a rifle hunter. Is it the hardest animal to bowhunt and the easiest animal to rifle hunt??? Always thought wild turkeys were the hardest, but after years of bent arrows, misjudged distances, and animals jumping the string, i give the edge to antelope. (HAve all animals with a bow except a pronghorn, but not for the lack of effort. It seemed I always needed another day or two to close the deal).

hellomcfly's picture

Bowhunting in general is a challenge. i would think that trying to stick an antelope would be one if not the hardest thing to do. It's an easy rifle hunt though just as you guys said

I put in for a Wyoming tag this year.
This will be my third time lope hunting, all on the same ranch.

rodeojoe wrote:

rodeojoe, any luck in previous years?

NMBlackGold wrote:
rodeojoe wrote:

rodeojoe, any luck in previous years?

Sure, I have taken 2 decent bucks, and a few does.
This year I am going to hold out for a super nice one, even if it means hunting longer than 10am opening morning! lol

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
whos applyin for nevada this yearbrokenarrow1504/23/2011 22:03 pm
Last update before the hunthawkeye2701812/21/2011 00:43 am
Best Place to hunt goatsjman474110/07/2009 20:51 pm
First time goatsmrklean002/10/2009 17:06 pm
Washington Goats...Anyone seen one?Mtn Hunter008/18/2007 20:54 pm