50 replies [Last post]
Whos putting in for Goats in 2009?

Just curious as to what you all are planning for 2009.? Ive had enough of quail and deer hunting. I'm Ready for some big pronghorns... Yes what about you all??

I'm priority 7 here in Alberta, so now have a decent chance of getting a tag. Had tons of snow here, and it's been crusted for a couple weeks, not to mention a hellish cold snap for weeks on end. I'm going to do some spotting in the spring and see how bad the winterkill was before the June draw deadlines.
Picked up some hornady boattails, and some noslers to start comparing, working up a load though. Here's hoping.

Re: 09
BruceW wrote:
I'm priority 7 here in Alberta, so now have a decent chance of getting a tag. Had tons of snow here, and it's been crusted for a couple weeks, not to mention a hellish cold snap for weeks on end. I'm going to do some spotting in the spring and see how bad the winterkill was before the June draw deadlines.
Picked up some hornady boattails, and some noslers to start comparing, working up a load though. Here's hoping.

Alberta, sorry to hear about the brutal cold. I was up near Slave Lake in Late November hunting Whitetails and it was way to warm.......in the 40s Farenheight. Is priority 7 the highest you can get?? That country between Calgary and the US border looks like great pronghorn country. Saw some nice ones! Good luck on your tag.

Just Wyoming PP's for me this year.

priority

Blackgold, not sure what the highest priority is here. I know some draws take priority 8 or 9 to get drawn. Season 1 doe tags I think take about a 4 now, season 2 prob. 2? Seems nearly all the young fellows that the oilpatch has brought to AB hunt, which is just fine by me, but it has put greater demand on some tags.
I'm in Bow Island, and yes, you can pretty much draw a line across AB at Calgary, and from there S. it's all good for antelope. I've always just hunted them 10 minutes from my house, have a buddy in Med. Hat that claims the huntings better NE of there, suspect the guys in Brooks claim it's better there, HA!
Sorry to hear the weather took some fun out of your hunt. Same thing happened to us, we were about 60mi. SW of Ft. Mac. This year the wife and I are planning to go about 3 hrs. N of where you were, see some different country.
You heading N this yr?

Re: priority
BruceW wrote:
Blackgold, not sure what the highest priority is here. I know some draws take priority 8 or 9 to get drawn. Season 1 doe tags I think take about a 4 now, season 2 prob. 2? Seems nearly all the young fellows that the oilpatch has brought to AB hunt, which is just fine by me, but it has put greater demand on some tags.
I'm in Bow Island, and yes, you can pretty much draw a line across AB at Calgary, and from there S. it's all good for antelope. I've always just hunted them 10 minutes from my house, have a buddy in Med. Hat that claims the huntings better NE of there, suspect the guys in Brooks claim it's better there, HA!
Sorry to hear the weather took some fun out of your hunt. Same thing happened to us, we were about 60mi. SW of Ft. Mac. This year the wife and I are planning to go about 3 hrs. N of where you were, see some different country.
You heading N this yr?

Hey BruceW, I believe I am going to wait a year or two to retrurn to ALB for Whitetails, I saw 30 bucks in 6 days of hunting but non were over 3 years old. The weather was so warm that nothing big was moving plus apparantently they had a bad winter in 2006 in which the wolfs had a buffet on the older deer population. Having said that, I really enjoyed my hunt! The biggest buck was a 171 12 pointer. The rest were all under 140. I would love to do a Mule Deer hunt in S. Alberta, but wouldn't know where to start. If you get tired of not drawing on a pronghorn in ALB, shoot me a private message, I have 8 pronghorn tags on 17,000 acres in Eastern, NM.

7 Mag wrote:
Just Wyoming PP's for me this year.

7 Mag, took my first antelope ever in WY. Have been hooked ever since. Good luck on the draw....

Myself and a buddy are gonna try to get a permit in the Region 7 area of Montana Terry area.

My family and I haven't decided yet. We spent our Wyoming points last year and only have a few CO points, not really enough to draw a decent tag. We sure do love to hunt speed goats.
How does the NM draw work? If we draw do we get assigned to a ranch? Are they all good ranches and should hold some quality bucks?

Hiker wrote:
My family and I haven't decided yet. We spent our Wyoming points last year and only have a few CO points, not really enough to draw a decent tag. We sure do love to hunt speed goats.
How does the NM draw work? If we draw do we get assigned to a ranch? Are they all good ranches and should hold some quality bucks?

Hiker, I am not an expert on the New Mexico draw, but here goes......on your application you will be asked to put in a particular unit (Pronghorn Management Unit) as 1st choice, and 2nd Choice. I believe you can put up to four of your buddies on the same app. If you draw, the state will assign you a particular ranch within that unit. I have never heard of anyone having a bad experience with a state draw tag. Most get their goat, trophy quality is a different story, the hunters with Landowner tags (on the same ranch) will probably have priority on the bigger bucks, but they have the knowledge of the land. If you can get down and scout, you might have a chance at a bigger one.
Its such a short season thats its very difficult to "hold out" for the big one in NM.
The NM Big Game proclamation is out for 2009 and 2010, and will give you all the current info. If you definition of a quality buck is 13-14 inches with 6" bases, you should have a great hunt.

Just going to try for a doe this year in WY. Never been out there before so I figure this might be the best way to ease into it. Bought PP's last year for antelope and mule deer and will do the same this year, so hopefully in a few years I'll be sitting good. Maybe try a few doe hunts in the mean time to get my feet wet! Looking forward to my first trip this fall!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
whos applyin for nevada this yearbrokenarrow1504/23/2011 22:03 pm
Last update before the hunthawkeye2701812/21/2011 00:43 am
Best Place to hunt goatsjman474110/07/2009 20:51 pm
First time goatsmrklean002/10/2009 17:06 pm
Washington Goats...Anyone seen one?Mtn Hunter008/18/2007 20:54 pm