7 replies [Last post]
Whitetail Hunting stand for 2006 season

Hey guys i have been fartin around in my hunting area and have found a couple places were i want to put stands although i want to put up 2 stands i dont think i will and will probably only end up putting one up. well i have a few choices and i want you guys to tell me what my best bet would be for downing a big buckduring the archery season or during the gun season if i dont get one during the archery season.

1. I could put it beside a dried up sometimes wet pond i was scouting by it and found a giant rub in the pond and alot of other high rubs around the rubs all lokked fairly fresh plus this is close to where i killed my buck in the 2005 season. I can see a good distance and there is a an old stone quarry were a 14 point was supposedly killed in the 2005 season also? And also above the creek on the other side od the pond there is a row of evergreens that have scrapes below them

2. Theres some thick fairly far away from the other stand part the thick is very big but their are trails through it and some older rubs not sure about if there fresh or not? some people told me that the thicker the better for a deer season i would probably only be bow hunting there because of the housing plan parellel to the thicket. Actuall i was scouting the other day and ran in to some deer in that area but i also ran in to the deer at the 1st stand idea.

3.There is some thick that is really close to my hunting entering spot were a guy told me he saw a buck with a giant thick rack during the 2005 and has a creek going through it and there are a few rubs there cant tell if there fresh but there are trails by it and thers a lot of cut down timber around it too.

please tell me wich stand location would be my best bet nd wich would be my second best bet too

Without scouting it myself, I'd say your best bet is in the creek bottom between the bedding area and the feeding area. Good luck, I hope you get a nice one.

saskie's picture

I agree - spot 1 near the creek is where I'd want to be.

Spot 2 in the thick and nasty stuff might be good later in the season once the pressure is on.

thinking

well guys i built a homeade stand out of some left over wood and will now be bale to put up two stands please tell me wich 2 will be my best bet now im already putting my homeade stand by the 1st stand choice but wich one would be better 2 or 3?

My guess would be which ever two weren't farted around. HAHA just kiddin'

I would go with #'s 1 & 3

If this property is fairly close to your home, I'd keep an eye on it and make notes on where and when you see deer.

I believe #1 near the creek is your best option, but if you can wait and keep an eye on the deer patterns, I'd make a decision about where to put the other stand a couple of weeks before the season starts.

although it isnt that close to my home it is close to my grandfathers homeand thats were we go and park our car before we go hunting we go there and then i go back into his back yard number one hunting area is about 300 yds away from his backyard 2 is about 200yds away but my father could drop me off up the street from my paps house and let e walk to that location wich would be like 500 yds and number 3 is about 150 yds from my grandfathers backyard.

The best results we have using stands for big bucks is on scrape lines I would suggest putting one on a scrape line and only watch it on rainy days or after a rainy night. It is suprising that once you take one it dosn;t take another one long to fall into the same patern.

Good luck.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like