27 replies [Last post]
cowgal's picture
White Mule Deer -more photos 10/23/06

I finally got to see the "white deer" at dusk yesterday and got some photos! I don't believe its albino after seeing it for myself. It has some dark markings on the face and a spot on its back. There is some shading on the back of his head, behind his ears that fades to white. The antlers appear to be a normal color as well as his nose.

So I wonder how this happened? I don't believe we have white deer in this area. Does anyone have info on how or why a species suddenly throws some white offspring?

PreviewAttachmentSize
white_mule_deer2.jpg
white_mule_deer2.jpg41.3 KB
white_mule_deer1.jpg
white_mule_deer1.jpg34.67 KB
bitmasher's picture

Good pictures!

Most likely this is still albinism; because there are various degrees of albino depending on how melanin production is effected. For instance in people it is possible for albino to only be effected in the eyes while otherwise having typical melanin production. The opposite is possible as well.

Note that animals that change color with the seasons are exhibiting a control over pigment production that is effected by the time of the year (seasons). This suggests that color phase in any animal is a complex pathway. Thus different shades of albinism can be an alteration in just one of the pathways rather than a complete break in the system (complete albinism).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism

Who knows perhaps this buck actually shifts to a whiter phase in winter and sheds to a darker coat in the spring, much like rabbits and coyotes.

Help posting pics

Nice pics of whitey! I have some pics of him and a couple of others I've seen in CO but don't know how to get them posted. I tried to attach one but the file was too large. Can anyone school me in posting pics? Thanks for the help.

redrider's picture

I usually adjust my image size down to about 500 pixels, makes the pic ~ 175KB.

Check here under Attachments:
http://www.biggamehunt.net/forums/faq.php

Thanks. I'll see if I can figure out how to get that done. Stay tuned.

Still haven't figured out how to drop the res. on my pics but here goes.

PreviewAttachmentSize
whitebuck3.jpg
whitebuck3.jpg866.24 KB

here is a fawn that one of my friends sent me, I think this one would be considered a full albino. I don't know the source of the photo but wonder if it's from a deer farm.

PreviewAttachmentSize
ATT000161.jpg
ATT000161.jpg54.02 KB

Poor pic but you should be able to make it out. This one was near Kremmling,CO

PreviewAttachmentSize
logging 018.jpg
logging 018.jpg537.47 KB
Serious Hunter wrote:
That is a cool deer.

There was an albino-ish deer in E. WA when I lived there that I wanted to bag. It seems at the time (word of mouth) that albino deer were protected. I think to get the last word you would need to call the local gammie - and even that might not be the last word.

It has been three years now but I seen a half albino or pie-bald 2 point mulie near Davenport Washington.....but I only seen him for about 20 mins.....never heard or seen other wise of him since....

white deer

beautiful animal!!!
hopefully no-one will kill him.
her in mich.it is illegal to shoot a true albino(though that one is not-he's a piebald).the "logic" in our state is based on a centuries old native american
belief that albino deer are sacred to the tribes and the MI dnr way back when decided that they should be protected due to those beliefs.
i agree as they are rare and always exciting to see;they look much better live
than on someones wall or in a mega-sports store.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Northwest Colorado Mule Deer Photoscowgal2209/14/2006 15:06 pm
Colorado Scenic Photoscowgal604/04/2005 22:23 pm
My Friends DeerBull Buster1112/29/2010 19:39 pm
deer calls303hunter201/09/2010 18:18 pm
Mule Deer eyeguards.bigbucks8501/07/2007 13:13 pm