32 replies [Last post]
Nikon is good optic, however,

Nikon is good optic, however, for scopes it is my experience leupold is the way to go.  they are unbelievably durable.  I see alot of different scopes in the hills every year.  I have never seen a leupold fail.  Not to say they don't.  Most bang for the buck, my money is on leupold.  I've been guiding hunters for years.  good luck and happy hunting.

ndemiter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
on average with 165 gr

on average with 165 gr bullets, there's about 150fps difference between a 30-06 and a 300 win mag. that's enough to notice a difference, i'm just not sure how much of one, since i'm never owned a .300 win mag.

i use a nikon 4.5-14 buckmaster scope. it gathers light very well. mine is mil-dot, not bdc though. i prefer the mil-dot to practice rangefinding with the scope. it's a fine piece of equipment, and it handles the rough country every year.

as far as gun chaps. a layer of camo duct tape will help protect a wood stock as much as anything else, and is cheap. i would try to find a neoprene cover for your scope. if you slip and fall on a rock, you can really mess up your scope, then your hunt is ruined.

nikon

I beleive you are refering to the 4.5-14 power thats what I have on my rifle it's a great scope with crystal clear optics. probably about the best scope available for around $300. nikon is known for high quality optics. I've looked through scopes that cost twice as much that were'nt as clear. nikon all they way! Leupold is very popular as well but their cheaper scopes won't be as clear as the nikon for the same money, the vx II and vxIII are the place to start if you go with leupold 

hunter25's picture
The 30-06 is a great choice

The 30-06 is a great choice and with the money saved not buying a new barrell you can spend more on practice for the type of shots you will be taking.

The Nikons are good scopes, I have never used the Buckmasters but have a couple Prostaffs that have held up very well.

Personally I'm not a fan of adjustable focus scopes on my hunting rifle. I have a Zeiss that I had problems with at very close range this year just before dark so I switched it to an antelope rifle I'm setting up now. At least the antelope are usually much farther away and more time to think about adjusting things if needed.

Nikons & gun chaps

Nikon makes great scopes, a friend has 4 or 5 on different guns from .223 to .338 mag & has never had reason to complain.  I'm partial to Leupolds if for no other reason that their warranty & service just cannot be beat.  That said, it's not often that their scopes need warranty. 

I personnally don't care for high magnification large objective scopes with a lot of bells & whistles (cluttered, cross hairs, adjustable objectives, side focusing turrets, etc) for typical multi-species hunting rifles.  My go-to rifles carry 4X & 2-7X scopes, usually an '06 with a 2X7 which is almost always set on 2X.  My shots on elk have run from 15 yards to about 350.  On both the close and the far shot, the scope was set on 2X & I never even noticed it on the long shot until later when we were boning it out and a buddy noticed it set on 2X.  I have missed a couple of opportunities at game when the scope was left set on high magnification and the shot came at feet distances instead of yards. 

An elk is a pretty big target.  Your '06 sighted in for 200 yards will be low about 9 inches at 300.  You can aim "on hair" out to close to 400 & be confident of a heart-lung hit.  Odds are you'll never have to shoot any farther unless your goal is to do so.  The trick is to get real familiar with your choice of rifle/cartridge combination.  Get it sighted in then leave the bench rest behind & practice in the field at all the ranges you want to get good at, whether it's 25 yards or 400.

Oh & I'll profess ignorance but what are "gun chaps"? 

Elk hunt

Well. I went to a gun show yesterday and traded for a 700 7mm rum, to take elk hunting.  What scope and size is a good combo for the 7mm rum.

ndemiter's picture
gun chaps were the name of a

gun chaps were the name of a product that came out in the early 90's i believe. it was a vinyl camo film, a sticker, that you could place over the wood finish of your rilfe to conceal and protect it.

i've never used them, but i've done similar things for the same reason. there's a company now that makes a slip on neoprene cover that i'd like to get, but it's hard to find in natural gear camo, which is how i want it.

hunter25's picture
Any of the scopes talked

Any of the scopes talked about already are just as good for the 7mm. Some people opt for higher magnafication than normal but it's not needed.

The scope I have been using for years on my 7mm is the Leupold VariXIII 3.5x10. It goes down low enough for closer rande hunting and has more than enough magnafication for long range.

As mentioned before the Nikons are an excellent choice.

And I think gun chaps are those vinyl covers or something that go over your rifle for protection while hunting.

7mm scopes

Thanks hunter25,

My outfitter has suggested Leupold VXIII.  But with the cost of everything going into the hunt, I was trying to get the best bang for a tight budget.

scope

the vx III is an excellent scope the nikon 3-9 buckmaster runs about $200 you might also consider the redfeild which is made by leupold they run about $150 . I don't know if I would worry about spending a little more money on a scope when you have already invested thousands in this hunt . get what you want and don't look back!!!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
firearm importationelkaholic4life311/20/2007 03:26 am
Encore or Omegaviappc309/04/2003 18:54 pm
best cal. for an encore pistolgrendel1511/28/2008 21:43 pm
T/C encoremartinc64501/02/2008 19:57 pm
T/C EncoreIABucks612/17/2003 19:08 pm