8 replies [Last post]
Where to go for 2014?

So I'm new to the site and I'm looking for some insight. I am looking to book a hunt for the 2014 season. It will be my first mule deer hunt. Im going this September to Main for my first black bear hunt. I'm n just your average everyday factory worker from Kentucky so money is a factor but I don't care to pay for good hunting and good services. But anyway I'm looking for a good free range mule deer/pronghorn hunt. I'm 25 so terrain isn't a big factor. And location doesn't really matter. If I can go somewhere where I don't have to worry about getting drawn for a tag that would be a plus. But if the draw means bigger bucks I don't mind. On a side note I prefer to stay in a lodge opposed to camping...never know when the weathers gonna turn out west, I don't care to hunt in the cold but I'd rather not sleep in it. So if you guys can give me some suggestions it would be great.

P.S.: Ill be rifle hunting. 

Just so you know. Colorado is

Just so you know. Colorado is all draw for deer, and the rifle seasons start in Oct. So, you can scratch that one off your list.

exbiologist's picture
Montana?

You're going to have a tough time with that.  Montana has licenses as leftovers now because they are expensive.  Youll just have to pick a general license area that has lodging nearby.  Wyoming has leftovers every year, but the besstare as are draw only.   Idaho has OTC licenses with a cap and could be a decent mid October option for you.  Utah and Colorado are draw only.  New Mexico, Nevada and South Dakota too.  Nebraska is first come first served with some public land in the northwest.

Next question

Ok my next question. Draw or no draw doesn't matter. What state would you go to if you could go anywhere for your next trophy mule deer. And why?

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Actually he said 2014 for the

Actually he said 2014 for the deer hunt and since antelope was mentioned with it I'd have to go with Wyoming.

Not sure best areas for a combo hunt or possible outfitter but a net search should turn up some options.

A lot of outfitters have private land units thus making drawing what you need easier. Draw opens In January for Wyoming and closes mid March.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I'd also do a combo hunt in

I'd also do a combo hunt in Wyoming for antelope and deer. The nice thing is that you can purchase a point from Wyoming next month to be ready for next year.

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Forgot about that. I've

Forgot about that. I've already purchased my antelope point for the year during the regular draw but still need to buy my deer point.

I think It's July through August actually but not sure. $30 for antelope and $40 for deer?

He said 2014, but also said

He said 2014, but also said this Sept. I'm not sure when he's hunting, but it's kind of late to be making theses decisions for this year.

What year

I mentioned September because I'm going to Maine this year for my first Black Bear hunt. I'm looking for ideas on what to do and where to go for 2014.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like