6 replies [Last post]
Where to go for 2012 Bull Elk Archery Hunt

I am trying to plan a elk archery hunt later this year and I wanted to ask advice on places to go. I was looking into Colorado and Montana. I know people who have been to both places and have had success at each. Which would you choose and why?

Thanks,

Will

BoneCollector's picture
By shear number, Co has the

By shear number, Co has the highest population, thus increasing the odds a little.

I hope to make my 1st trip to Co this fall and 1st for elk. That is how I choose my destination.

Good luck!

Highest population of elk or

Highest population of elk or hunters?  Big smile

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Numbers

Still Hunter wrote:

Highest population of elk or hunters?  Big smile

Both

exbiologist's picture
tough choice

On average, you'll be looking at about 4-6 elk per square mile in most of the units west of the Continental Divide.  But you'll also be looking at 1-2 hunters per square of public land, and sometimes even more than that during archery season.  Much of Western Colorado can be hunted with an OTC tag, so you're at least guaranteed that.  In Montana, you'll be looking at about half the elk density.  I don't have a very good idea of the hunter density during archery season, but the good thing is, it is a very long season.  Consider going that last or 2nd to last week of September or even wait til the first of week of October.  Plus there's no muzzleloaders in Montana.

The license costs almost twice as much in Montana, but that now makes it much easier to draw.  You might consider applying to both states... The Montana general tag, and a limited Colorado tag, with the Colorado OTC license as a back up.

Yeah, since Montana raised

Yeah, since Montana raised their price for an elk tag to $800. It's a bit easier to get now.  Huh?

ndemiter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
ould be looking closely at

ould be looking closely at arizona, and new mexico. if i were to be headed on an archery hunt. and personally, probably new mexico first. colorado does have the highest population, but the trophy potential is higher south of there. with the fact that you'll be archery hunting will probably greatly increase your chance at a tag. and finding the elk is a little more simple there, i n my opinion.   i

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
AZ Extreme Bull Hunt!coueshunter16011/27/2012 19:15 pm
Illinois trophy deer hunts.trophyhunter1008/12/2012 11:08 am
Where to hunt Colorado for elk.Elk crazy710/29/2012 16:23 pm
Wyoming archery elk questionKleinpm1012/26/2011 18:39 pm
archery elk success970TBONE1210/17/2013 10:37 am