12 replies [Last post]
niceshot_smitty's picture
when will the new Colorado 2012 hunting stuff be out?

Just wondering when the 2012 book will be out and when you can start puting in for hunts in Colorado?

exbiologist's picture
February

New regs and application period opens in february.  Season dates are available now

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
When was the actual draw

When was the actual draw though Exbio?  I am trying to organize when i put in for hunts.  It will make a difference if I go to Colorado or somewhere else next year.  I am putting in for Valles Caldera in new mexico, which I think is an April deadline.  Then California elk is in june, and finally, i think Colorado.  That way, I should know already for the other 2, before finalizing Colorado. 

If I draw either of those 2, I won't go to Colorado until the following year.

exbiologist's picture
you mean when will you know?

The deadline is the first Tuesday in April, bu the actual draw does not take place until the quotas and objectives are approved during a commission meeting in late April, I think.  Then after that they start drawing for the trophy species, then elk and deer.  Official results were out May 31 for elk this year and June 2 for deer.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Okay, that might be cutting

Okay, that might be cutting it close.  Does Colorado allow you to turn in your tag for a point, if you opt out of it?  Say I draw a deer tag there, but find out I can't hunt.  Can I turn it in for a refund (Minues the $35-40 fee) and have a point for the next year?

I know you focus on Colorado, but are you familiar with the V.C. hunt in new Mexico?  A guy I know on another board has gotten a few there, and his wife got a dandy there this year.  It's like a raffle system, and is seperate fromt he regular draw.  The area they hunt looks absolutely breathtaking, and it would be closer for me.  So, if I draw that, I think that would be my #1 choice.  However, the odds are really, really long, so it's probably a moot point anyway.

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
In Colorado you can get your

In Colorado you can get your money back minus the $3 fee but I know there are stipulations. You would have to call the DOW and get the info on how/what needs to be done. I have not heard of them giving you a point since you did successfully draw. Not so bad if you only lose $3 for the application fee.

exbiologist's picture
you can turn it in

You can get a refund but not a preference point.  I know someone here claimed otherwise, but the way it is SUPPOSED to work is that you can turn the tag in for the fee or to have your points prior to the draw restored.  Can't have both.  If I remember right, you now have one preference point for Colorado, in which case you've got a tough decision to make.  I don't really know much other than what you've just described about the VC hunt, but the odds are much tougher to draw a tag like that than a deer tag in Colorado.  I don't believe there is any additional $35 or $40 fee.  There is a $25 fee that you can opt out of for a refund if unsuccessful if you don't want a preference point and haven't bought any other Colorado licenses in the past year.

Umpqua Hunter's picture
Just my 2 cents

As far as returning a tag in Colorado, I did it in 2010.  I drew Unit 201 archery elk in Colorado and had a scheduling conflict   Cry baby .  I had 18 points built up and wanted to keep my points.  I recall I had two options, return the tag for a refund and lose my points, OR the option I took...return my tag, lose the tag fee and keep my points.  I did NOT however get a point for that year, so now I am one point back, which can be darn hard to make up in those NW elk units.

hunter25's picture
At least with the regular

At least with the regular hunts you have a pretty good idea here when you will actually draw with the preference point system we have. In new Mexico it could happen any time and in most other states you at least have a chance even on the first try. It makesit hard to plan sometimes but I just try to not overlap as little as possible and go with the idea that it would be nearly impossible to draw more than one limited tag anyway. 

It's good to start planning now though as it will be here before you know it.

SGM
SGM's picture
Smiity, these guys are all

Smiity, these guys are all over it for when applications are due to books going out. Only point to add is that the online book will be out before you can get a hard copy. Also I really doubt much will change from 2011 to 2012 so you can get a good 80% idea of your hunt time and unit. Good luck on the draw even thou it is still over 5 months out. 

niceshot_smitty's picture
Thats guys.  i hope to

Thats guys.  i hope to finally get a chance to hunt Colorado this next year.   I have hunted the Valles Caldera 4 times in the last 7 years.  It is a blast to hunt, just hope that the fire didn't do to much damage to the east side of it. 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like