20 replies [Last post]
mossbuck35's picture
Whats your opinion on a 3006 or a 7mm mag for elk!!

Hey Everyone, I am a happy person right now, my dad told be that for my birthday I can get a new hunting rifle!! I want either a 3006 or a 7mm mag for mostly elk hunting. He told me I cant go wrong with the 06 but Im really thinking the 7mag might be a better choice to reach out there a little farther. I am graduating from the 270 and the 308, Whats your opinion between these to rifles ? thanks for advice

mossbuck35

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
These are the only 2 calibers

These are the only 2 calibers I have hunted big game with. Honestly with good bullets and proper shot placement I have seen little difference between them.

The 7 is now my all around rifle due to the somewhat flatter trajectory.

HOGGETTER's picture
If you already have a 270

If you already have a 270 then a 30-06 isn't much of a jump up. A 7mm Rem mag, 7mmWSM, 300 Win mag or a 300WSM might be the way to go. What your dad shoot? Maybe get the same caliber so you can share his bullets. Its always nice to have someone in the same camp have the same rounds as you.

Good luck and happy B-day

exbiologist's picture
I agree

If I've already got a .308 and a .270, there's way too much overlap with .30-06 or a 7mm Rem Mag.  But, just as importantly, what features are you currently missing with your present rifles?  Stainless steel, lightweight?  What's your recoil tolerance and do you reload?  I really like the idea of the .325 WSM, but the ammo is way too expensive if you're buying factory stuff.  My buddy has one that I've worked a few different handloads for, and I've pretty impressed with its versatility.   Plus it's very different from what you currently have.

TwoBear's picture
Lucky

exbiologist wrote:

If I've already got a .308 and a .270, there's way too much overlap with .30-06 or a 7mm Rem Mag.  But, just as importantly, what features are you currently missing with your present rifles?  Stainless steel, lightweight?  What's your recoil tolerance and do you reload?  I really like the idea of the .325 WSM, but the ammo is way too expensive if you're buying factory stuff.  My buddy has one that I've worked a few different handloads for, and I've pretty impressed with its versatility.   Plus it's very different from what you currently have.

I completly concur, not much a 30.06 can do that can't be done with a .308.  I like your choice and would also throw out a .338 RUM.  To the OP, here is a chance to start building your rifle collection to fit your species.  A 30.06 is a great all around gun, but once you build your rifle collection to fit the species, a .308/30.06/.270 has a hard time filling a niche.  IE: 25.06 antelope/.223 or 22/250 predator/ 257 roberts deer/ .30 cal mags/elk etc.  Of course everybody has their caliber preferences but you get the idea.  Congrats you lucky dawg.  I'm the one always doing the buying for other people;)

Topgun 30-06's picture
Although the 30-06 is a great

Although the 30-06 is a great allaround gun and why I took it for my username, I would suggest something along the lines of a 300 Win Mag if you want a gun solely dedicated to elk hunting.  It will pack more punch at greater distances and allow for shots on a big bull that you might not want to take with the smaller 30-06.

elk caliber

as stated above there is not a lot of difference between the 7mag and 30-06 the 30-06 has a wider bullet selection the 7mag has more ft pounds of energy at longer ranges. I too would recomend a 300win mag for a dedicated elk round any thing the 7mag can do the 300 can do better . people will tell you that the 7 mag has less recoil I've shot both and I don't see much difference. 

mossbuck35's picture
Thanks for the replys!!

Thanks guys for the replys, I am looking for a synthetic stock with a blued or stainless barrel. The reason why I am mostly intrested with these two rifles is because my uncle is the one that reloads for my family. And he has both an 06 and 7 mag and says he reloads good bullets for both of his guns. I just talked to him today and he reloads a good 160 gr bullet for the 7 mag so Im probably will lean towards the 7 mag. I am not afraid of the recoil on both of these guns, And I would also have the 300 as an option but he doest reload for that round!! haha its just so hard trying to pick one because I know they are both good caliburs for elk!! Thanks guys for the replys and if you have any more ideas between the two please post!! Thanks

mossbuck35

Just Buy Uncle a set of .300 dies

I have reloaded since 1974 and honestly I must say I would not let the dies your uncle already has dictate the choice of round you get.  Reason being that a set of dies and a shell holder should/would be all that would be needed to add another round to his reloading bench.  The money saved on 2 to 3 boxes worth of .300 WinMags would offset the cost.  Why not ask your uncle if he would be willing to load the new round if you sprung for the dies and holder, or he might take the hint and give you a set as a birthday gift from him. Thumbs up   With the obscene cost of new brass these days you might be just as well off to buy a couple boxes of factory rounds to shoot then use that brass to reload. 

Just some thoughts.  Good luck with your decision.  I am an .06 guy and my hunting buddy is a .300WinMag guy.  Both get the job done.  I hear a lot about how flat the 7 mag shoots, but according to my reloading books comparable loads only show around a 1" difference at 300 yds when sighted in at 200.  The difference is in favor of the 7 mag so if 1" less drop at 300 is a game changer the 7 is the gun to get.

Topgun 30-06's picture
I think bucmeister54 hit the

I think bucmeister54 hit the nail on the head with his post!  Don't limit yourself to what you are talking about when you can buy a few boxes of shells or a bag of new brass along with the dies and other components for your uncle to help you out.  I started into reloading by buying the dies and components for my 25-06 and 30-06s and developed my loads with one buddy using his reloading equipment.  Then after a couple years I lucked into all the other equipment needed when my best buddy gave me his because he got too old to go out west and quit reloading!  For a minimal amount of money if your uncle will do the reloading for you, get the 300 Win Mag and other stuff needed to reload for it. 

mossbuck35's picture
Thanks guys!!

Thanks guys for the advice, I really like that idea! I am going to talk with him and my dad about that!!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
whats your opiononsteven_seamann112/06/2010 08:17 am
My fisrt deer hunt, is this gun ok?gohip20002008/06/2007 08:05 am
Remington 3006 180gr Premier Bonded ammoG2GTactical005/13/2008 07:41 am
Full length VS Neck sizingJJD1001/13/2009 07:54 am
outfitter sponsored licensesswollen tongue1307/18/2003 19:50 pm