11 replies [Last post]
what do you think of the .223?

Now i'm well aware the .223 isn't enough for deer hunting around here and I wouldn't use it for that unless I had to, but I just wanted to know what you all think of it?
I may be buying one in the near future.

its cheaper to shoot then my 22-250 but i still perfer my 22-250 over the 223....alot more punch. but if your a fur hunter the 223 is a way better choice less damage

It's OK but I wouldn't trade the 220 swift for it. It seems to be accurate out of my bushmaster and ammo is cheap. It is not a caliber that I will be hunting with only, rifle competitions for my setup but a FMJ for less pelt damage should make it a good fur harvesting choice.

saskie's picture

Never fired it, except in a service rifle.

An accurate and fun cart to shoot but just give me something in 7.62 and I'l be happy. Thumbs up

Cool, if I can get it for cheap I'll be doing some precision gopher and crow elemination. Not to mention general fun and target shooting.

Looks like this year could get pricey new scattergun, video camera, and lord only knows what else will tickle my fancy...oh well could be worse I could have a drug addiction.

jim muir wrote:
Cool, if I can get it for cheap I'll be doing some precision gopher and crow elemination. Not to mention general fun and target shooting.

Looks like this year could get pricey new scattergun, video camera, and lord only knows what else will tickle my fancy...oh well could be worse I could have a drug addiction.

If you are going to hunt with the .223 make sure you buy a rifle that is non-restricted. Mine is a Bushmaster AR-15 type so it is restricted is only for target shooting. Saskie is also talking about an ar-15 variant. Ruger makes a "mini 14" semi that is non-restricted and fairly inexpensive. Most of the big rifle companies make a bolt .223 as well but if I was buying a new bolt gun I would be getting the 22-250.

All i know is its not an AR, I haven't seen it yet....but you make an interesting point the guy that has it is the fire arms officer for NB if I understood him correctly I'd think he wouldn't offer me a weapon I don't have the permits to own Think

I've got a Savage 10FP in 223 and just love it. Here in NB I can pack it anywhere, pretty much anytime. When I had my TC Encore in 223 I was shooting Speer 50gr TNT's for coyotes. They did very little pelt damage so long as the shot went into the boiler room. A shoulder hit would just splash and result in a lost coyote.

It's hard to beat for an all-around fun round. Cheap factory ammo, easy to reload with a wide range of capabilities. My 10FP likes Berger 70gr VLD's and I can really lob them out there a fair ways with excellent accuracy.

You're gonna have a lot of fun with your 223. By the way, for non-restricted military type semis, the Armalite AR-180-B2 would be a great choice. I don't own one right now but it's on my list.

souwest_ghillie wrote:

You're gonna have a lot of fun with your 223. By the way, for non-restricted military type semis, the Armalite AR-180-B2 would be a great choice. I don't own one right now but it's on my list.

There is a couple of choices for military style 223 semis if that is the way you want to go and $$$ isn't a big factor because they are expensive. HK SL8, Swiss Arms "Black Special", Sig (not sure of model name), and Robinson Arms XCR all make the non-restricted ar-15 look rifles. I was looking at most of theses recently before I bought the bushmaster but with the exception of the AR180B all of them were $2300+cdn.

Yeah I'd like to own an AR or AK style rifle (not a SKS) but if I can't swing that much cash or justify owning a gun I'll never hunt with. Mind you remington's 7615 that'll accept AR 15 magazines is interesting..especialy since if I read the laws correctly I could own the 20&30 round mags and use them for general shooting. Something about that kinda seems nice. Not that its practical or necessary.