61 replies [Last post]
What caliber do you use for elk? Me, I've switched to a 243

I was just wondering what everyone here uses for an Elk hunting catridge.

I used to use those big "thunder and lightening" guns/calibers, .338 on up with a premium bullet. I don't think they kill any better than the standard calibers and I can shoot the .243 darn good too.

Anymore, I'm using a .243 Win w/Hornady 100 grain standard bullet. I have been thinking of loading up some Trophy Bondeds or just buy the Remington Sirocco in the .243

What do you use?

just make sure and use the lumberjack trick,shootem behind the ear every year!GoodLuck!!

I use a .54 caliber. Of course, it's a muzzleloader.

If you shoot the .243 accurately enough, and are willing to limit your shots to those that a .243 can handle, more power to you. I would, however, NEVER recommend the .243 to anyone who is trying to decide on a caliber for elk hunting. It's one of those cases where, if you've got to ask what caliber to use, then the .243 is defnitely NOT for you!

I agree with Donmillion, if you know exactly what your own abilities are and can execute the shot with absolute precision, then it'll work.

I think I'm in good company using the .243 Win on elk.

Wayne Zwoll (?) recently wrote an article in one of the gun rags stating he like using the .243 on elk. He's killed a bunch.

Most who shoot a .243 can place their shots a lot better than most hunters who use a .30-06 or larger. I know hunters, and I'd say less that 5% shoot their rifles enough to know how to shoot them.

Once a year, they go to the range (or not) to see if it comes close to where they had sighted it in 4 years ago. They cry at the amount of recoil a .30 has or how much they have to spend for a box of shells.

The .243 will kill as well as any .30-06 can, if the bullets go where you want them. True of any caliber. With it's soft recoil, a hunter/shooter can concentrate more on the shot than worrying about getting hit in the eye or shoulder by a big thumper.

I've used them all. Killed a lot of elk. I may regret the use of the .243, then again, maybe not.

Generally speaking, a 270 Winchester or a 30-06 is pleasant enough to shoot that good marksmanship should be relatively easy to obtain, given sufficient practice. 15-20 ft-lbs of recoil is not that bad. Much less than that of the magnum .30's.

Like I said, if you feel comfortable taking the shot using a 243, then by all means go for it. It can be done.

I use a 7MM its a good allaround gun and good for varmits and big game.

Predatorhunter

Yhe but good lord dont you cringe everytime you think about the recoil of a 7 mag ; ) if you are thinking about the recoil of your gun as you are taking a shot at an elk or any game animal you dont get nearly as excited as I do,I dont believe I even feel the recoil of any gun while hunting.I shoot a 7 mag year round and i have never had a cut eye or a bruised shoulder and i do alot of shooting,get a decent recoil pad and some comon sense.

The 243 Scirocco is a good choice. Another one, also from Remington too consider is the Accu-Tip. Saw the way these performed on a large whitetail and was very impressed. On the other hand, you might just want to try reloading and using the bullets over 100 grains, I think there is a 105 and 110 grain, I'll have to double-check.

The Core-Lokt Ultra might be a better choice than the 95 grain Accu-Tip.

One thing though, regarding your previous post, are you talking about the price of magnum ammo or 30-06 ammo? Everywhere I've bought ammo the 243 and 30-06 ammo are the same price.

RattleSnake Jake wrote:
Most who shoot a .243 can place their shots a lot better than most hunters who use a .30-06 or larger.

I suspect that if we did a random sampling we'd find that .243 shooters are not, on average, any better than .30-06 shooters. My guess is that it's just the shooters you happen to know are a bit better than average. That's probably true of most of us. The fact that we are here thinking and discussing about hunting and shooting indicates that we take more interest in it than the oh-so-many hunters who don't even bother to sight in their rifles but maybe once every three or four years.

Quote:
The .243 will kill as well as any .30-06 can, if the bullets go where you want them. True of any caliber.

Yes, and you can kill an elephant with a .22 short if you hit it in just the right spot. That doesn't make the .22 short a "good" caliber for elephant hunting. And it most CERTAINLY doesn't make the .22 short a good caliber to recommend to someone trying to decide what rifle to use for elephant hunting!

Again, please, don't take this as criticism of your choice. If you know what you're doing, and know your limitations, then the .243 can work just fine for elk hunting. Nonetheless, I still think it would be irresponsible to recommend the .243 to an average hunter who is trying to decide what rifle to get for elk hunting. If he's good enough to hunt elk with a .243 then he won't need anybody's recommendations.

Looks like you already got your mind made up so there's no point arguin with ya. But I will say in todays day and age a .243 isn't an elk caliber.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
358 WinchesterHuntnFish212/21/2008 21:27 pm
Best caliber for dangerouse game ??Harald504/17/2008 09:01 am
One CaliberTrophy_Hunter_416503/29/2008 01:46 am
Gun adviceRAKMAN206/05/2006 11:35 am
What caliber for pronghorn and mulies?dms-13702/22/2006 18:59 pm