7 replies [Last post]
Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
What bullet for BLR/.325 WSM & Idaho bear?
Took advantage of a somewhat cool morning the other morning and did some final tuning on my .325 WSM BLR in preperation for a hunt I leave for on Saturday. The two loads I was looking to decide between were a 200gr NP or a 200gr TSX. Turns out that both shoot well in my rifle and only 1/4" difference in groups at 100 yards; 1 1/8" Vs 1 3/8". I was leaning towards the NP, but surprisingly enough the best group went to the TSX.

Both are close enough on paper as to be interchanable with only about 3/4" in elavation seperating the groups from both loads. Both mirror each other horizontally. I had planned on using the NP loads and have been a big fan of the NP bullets for a long time. Thinking I might just have to give the TSXs a shot tho...(pun intended ) What says you?? Confused

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I've been a Barnes fan going

I've been a Barnes fan going on 15 years now.  I started comparing recovered bullets shot out of my .340 Weatherby for a elk hunt.  When I dug out the 250 grain Nosler  you could see the expansion and the loss of the frontal part of the bullet but it did exactly what it was designed to do.  The rear end held its shape as it should of. 

Then when I dug the 225 grain Barnes X bullet out you could see that it expanded into a perfect mushroom with about 1/2 of the bullet back side left intact.  That along with the 225 grain Barnes penetrating further into my phone books than the 250 grain Nosler I decided to go with the Barnes.  That along with the fact that the Nosler just would not shoot close to the point of aim of the other bullets that I was shooting where the Barnes did.  I never have figured that one out. 

The end results will be that they both will get the job done quite well.  The Barnes quite likely will give you complete penetration with a good exit wound if you care about that stuff.  Of the 17 elk that I have shot with the 225 grain X bullet or the 185 grain XLC out of my Weatherby I have only recovered 2 bullets and both of them were from shoulder shots and were recovered on the off side hide after they had smashed both front shoulders and dropped the elk in their tracks. 

hunter25's picture
I'm not surprised that the

I'm not surprised that the Tsx bullets ended up shooting so well for you as they are usually the most accurate hunting bullets I have tried for nearly all of my rifles. Unlike you I have never used the partitions even though they are so highly recommended, mostly because I tried the Barnes bullets first and they have always worked so well for me. I have taken everything from a badger to an elk on the same hunt with the same load and gotten the same results. Nearly immediate expansion and full pass through penetration. I have used them in my 30-06, 7mm Remington mag, and my sons .270 with the same results.

I guess if I was you and they shot so well I would give them a try just for something new. But there's nothing lost if you stick with what you know and trust and go with the partitions either. It's a no lose choice and just personal decision at this point.

Good luck on your on hunt by the way and let us know what you use and how they work for you.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Thanks

Thanks for the replies and info. I have used Barnes "Xs" in several rifles and have taken deer with them in .270, .308, 30/06 and .35 Whelen. They certainly are effective game getters. Being the stubborn old coot that I am though, I also like the more explosive nature of the NP bullets and although they will not retain weight like the "X" bullets, I like the generally larger mushroom they give. Decisions... decisions....

Thanks again for all the info! Thumbs up

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
It sounds like you like the

It sounds like you like the Noslers better so if I was you I would go with them.  As far as the mushroom of the bullet the Barnes wins hands down.  With the mushroom that they obtain and the retained weight I personally believe that they are the way to go. 

Tndeerhunter's picture
Well, we will just have to

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree about the larger mushroom for which bullet. The Barnes "X" certainly opens to a very pretty and uniform mushroom and as I said, I've used them in several different calibers, but the mushroom is typically not as wide as a NP will open up to (from my personal experience with both) 

That being said, I may use the TSX depending on typical ranges there since they were slightly more accurate in my rifle.  Big smile

Tndeerhunter's picture
Leaving

I depart early in the AM. I am simply hoping that I might have some news to give everyone reference the performance of one bullet or the other...lol.  Yes

hunter25's picture
Good luck again on your hunt.

Good luck again on your hunt. I have to say that I'm extremely jealous right now. I have a few great ones planned this year but not this month and it hurts.

I say throw the bullets in a bag, shake it up and hunt with the one that comes out first.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
30 06 round for bearVeloxlock2907/19/2005 21:45 pm
Muzzle loader for black bear?Browning804/10/2014 16:34 pm
bullet selection for .450 Marlinbullmoose77010/25/2003 00:57 am
Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless ?geneinnc212/10/2007 11:05 am
Choose your bullets CarefullyHammer11411/16/2006 16:31 pm