11 replies [Last post]
Weatherby Vanguard 300 Wby Magnum

Just sent my new Weatherby back for warranty. After third shot, the bolt cannot be opened. Seized shut until you let it cool down.
Bolt opens no problem after second shot, but is seized solid after third.
Waiting to hear from Weatherby on what they will do for me.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,

Mazlo

Are you running factory ammo or hand loads?

300 wthby

I'v had one since 2003. Shot deer and a elk with it. I use factory loads. remi 180 grn loads. Also likes the hornady loads. I have never had a problem with the rifle. Sighted her in with 40 rounds to brack new bbl in.Oh yeah i wore a recoil pad.There made by Howa for wthby, There great rifles. Thumbs up

Weatherby Vanguard 300 WBY Magnum

Factory ammo. Sighted in with Hornady 180 grain. Shot two shot groups b/w marking the shots, no problem.
Next day out, fired three shot groups with Weatherby 180 grain factory ammo, about a thousand dollars per box of 20. This is when the problem showed up. After third shot, bolt would not open. Same thing with federal and Hornady, third shot, seized up.
Wholesale Sports sent it to Weatherby for warranty check. No guarantees, and I'm out the money, and the gun. We'll see what happens next.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Re: Weatherby Vanguard 300 WBY Magnum
mazlo wrote:
Factory ammo. Sighted in with Hornady 180 grain. Shot two shot groups b/w marking the shots, no problem.
Next day out, fired three shot groups with Weatherby 180 grain factory ammo, about a thousand dollars per box of 20. This is when the problem showed up. After third shot, bolt would not open. Same thing with federal and Hornady, third shot, seized up.
Wholesale Sports sent it to Weatherby for warranty check. No guarantees, and I'm out the money, and the gun. We'll see what happens next.

I sure can't blame you for being WAY disappointed with that kind of performance from a new rifle. Is there a reason why you said there was no guarantee, or was it simply a comment you were making, in general. Surely Weatherby would have to cover any repairs or replace with a new rifle after so little use on a brand new rifle.
Good luck!!

Re: Weatherby Vanguard 300 WBY Magnum

No guarantees...this is Weatherby's official written guarantee, that there is no specific guarantees, rather they consider each issue case by case. So Wholesale sent my gun to Alberta or BC, where their gunsmiths will decide if he agrees there is a problem, and what they will do about it.
Still waiting. Will keep you posted.

I wonder if this is a headspace problem (??). As a member mentioned earlier, these Vanguards are built by Howa of Japan and are of good quality. My .338 Win. Mag. (Classic II), works fine and likes the Federals. Weatherby is, as a good rule of thumb, a stand-up company who wants no negative P.R. I bet they will do you right and look forward to their response from you. Thumbs up

JJD
JJD's picture

Might be a head space problem or a chamber milled to tight.

As long as rust is not a factor which I seriously doubt, or it'd siezed on the first rd rather than the third. I believe Weatherby will stand behind their product. They always have in the past. As a matter of fact, I would not be the least bit surprised if the sent you back a new rifle. Often times firearms manufactures will do this so they can keep the flawed arm to study it and get an understanding of what went wrong.
Know of an instance where this occured in an O/U shotgun in Weatherbys line.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard 300 Wby Magnum

Just wanted to update you guys.

Got my Vanguard back. Jennings in BC, Canada is Weatheryby's official gunsmiths here. They did some machining to it. Specifically said adjusted the chamber and headspace to "Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute" (SAAMI) specs, and test fired it. Have to get out yet to test fire it myself, but should be okay.
If not, you'll surely hear about it as well.

Thanks for your interest, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and happy hunting!

Maz

Glad to hear you made out well. Fortunately, my experience with the Weatherby type of 'case by case basis' warranty from firearms manufacturers has been nothing but positive. I've sent two older Brownings back for work (again, no stated warranty other than 'free from manufactured defects, case by case) and in both cases I was treated well, and they refused any payment.

For the most part, the higher-end firearms manufactures try to take care of consumers; their brand's 'elite' reputation rides on good word of mouth and repeat sales.

bitmasher's picture
cmb3366 wrote:
For the most part, the higher-end firearms manufactures try to take care of consumers; their brand's 'elite' reputation rides on good word of mouth and repeat sales.

Based on my experience, I think this is correct. If a gun is truly shooting poorly, most manufactures will make it right and your usually just out the shipping to them for repair.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like