1 reply [Last post]
Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .300 win mag ?

I have been looking at the the Weatherby Vanguard 2 for quite some time. It is cheap and gurantees Sub-MOA. I would like to top it with a Redfield Revenge Rifle Scope. I would like to get it in .300 win mag. My question is, is this rifle going to last ? It only weighs 7.5 lbs and with the scope ( Redfield Revenge 3-9 by 52mm ) it is 8.5 lbs or so. What can I do to add weight to it by buying attachments and NO construction on the rifle ? Does it have a good recoil pad ? Is the gun a nice gun ?

buffybr's picture
Weatherby Vanguard

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby a few years ago. It will consistantly shoot several different TSX, TTSX, and other bullets sub-moa. It's now one of my favorite rifles, but I did make some changes on it.

First, I re-stocked it in AA Fancy Claro walnut that is pillar and fully glass bedded and floated the barrel. I put a mechanical recoil absorber (about 8 ozs) in the shock, and fitted it with a Limbsaver recoil pad. I also had a KDF muzzle brake installed on it. It's topped with a 4-12x Leupold.

When hunting, I carry it with a leather sling. All of that makes it weigh just under 10 lbs. It's felt recoil is less than my pretty much stantard 700 BDL Remington in 7mm Rem mag.

So, to specifically answer your questions: "My question is, is this rifle going to last? It should last as long as you take care of it.

It only weighs 7.5 lbs and with the scope ( Redfield Revenge 3-9 by 52mm ) it is 8.5 lbs or so. Your scope choice should be fine. Obviously, a larger scope will add more weight.

What can I do to add weight to it by buying attachments and NO construction on the rifle ? Is it a wood or plastic stock? A leather sling, a mechanical or mercury recoil reducer (may require drilling a 7/8" hole in the stock, behind the recoil pad), or just plain drilling holes in a wood stock and filling them with lead, or adding lead to cavities in a plastic stock will add as much weight as you want.

Does it have a good recoil pad ? I have replaced the factory pads on all of my rifles and shotguns with either Limbsaver or Pachmyer pads.

Is the gun a nice gun ? Basically, for the money, yes.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
weatherby vanguardbillybob1003/09/2015 09:11 am
Weatherby Vanguard 300 Wby with Nikon Scope - Newjjk308005/03/2008 11:30 am
Weatherby Vanguard RH LA synthetic stock only. $25ndemiter212/01/2012 18:47 pm
bushnell scope questionjefflb916703/27/2011 05:58 am
7mm Rem Mag Weatherby Vanguardwooduckman1104/22/2013 10:48 am