23 replies [Last post]
Haver Used long action and

Haver Used long action and short action rifles. Seen animals taken down bye all calibairs but wsm like the quick snap kick. But dont like the reload seem have be little slower to feed another round in tube. Even with high quality rifle. Make got road hunter gun. But in mountains I trust my long action. Feeds fast no worrys. And mader to me lost when got your animal down it get ready pack out. And that few seconds of reload can mean your life. Had bears coming for two direction blow shot at there feet put stop. And one case of wolf pack attack. So guess you pick on where you hunt and your style hunting if hunt alone lots are got somone else help watch your back. Hope this helps make your desicion on the long are short action.

Don Fischer's picture
I doubt the days for the

I doubt the days for the 30-06 will be over anytime soon. The short mags have come on awful strong but cartridges like the 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag and other's still have a huge share of the market.

for a long range hunting round I always figured that either the 7mm Rem Mag with a 160gr bullet was hard to beat. Probably the only thing better suited was the 300 Win Mag with the 200gr bullet. Those longer heavier bullet's shine in the big mag cases. A 30-06 or any other 30g standard cartridge cannot handle the 200gr bullet's like the 300 Win mag. The 300 Win Mag keep's recoil at somewhat tolerable levels, much better than other 300 mag choices and still get's the job done well.

Granted other 300 mag cartridges will push the same bullet's faster but how much faster is really necessary? You get out past 300yds very far and every cartridge is going to require hold over of some kind. It's no longer a matter of, boy is this flat. Flat is a relative term. A cartridge with a certain bullet that drope 12" at 500 yards is concidered flat compared to the one with the same bullet that drops 14". Both deliver more than enough power for well beyond that range. Better is the cartridge more shooter friendly, less felt recoil. i shot a friends 300 wsm, two rounds, will never fire one again! Damn that hurt!

Being able to kill out to 400yds and betond is more about how well someone shoots and understand's their rifle than it is about what the rifle is chambered in. A 270 win with a 150gr bullet could make a very good long range cartridge. That bullet is long, maintains good velocity and flys well.

A long range hunting rifle/cartridge has more to do with the mechanic than the tool!

BikerRN's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Summed Up

Don Fischer wrote:

I doubt the days for the 30-06 will be over anytime soon. The short mags have come on awful strong but cartridges like the 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag and other's still have a huge share of the market.

for a long range hunting round I always figured that either the 7mm Rem Mag with a 160gr bullet was hard to beat. Probably the only thing better suited was the 300 Win Mag with the 200gr bullet. Those longer heavier bullet's shine in the big mag cases. A 30-06 or any other 30g standard cartridge cannot handle the 200gr bullet's like the 300 Win mag. The 300 Win Mag keep's recoil at somewhat tolerable levels, much better than other 300 mag choices and still get's the job done well.

Granted other 300 mag cartridges will push the same bullet's faster but how much faster is really necessary? You get out past 300yds very far and every cartridge is going to require hold over of some kind. It's no longer a matter of, boy is this flat. Flat is a relative term. A cartridge with a certain bullet that drope 12" at 500 yards is concidered flat compared to the one with the same bullet that drops 14". Both deliver more than enough power for well beyond that range. Better is the cartridge more shooter friendly, less felt recoil. i shot a friends 300 wsm, two rounds, will never fire one again! Damn that hurt!

Being able to kill out to 400yds and betond is more about how well someone shoots and understand's their rifle than it is about what the rifle is chambered in. A 270 win with a 150gr bullet could make a very good long range cartridge. That bullet is long, maintains good velocity and flys well.

A long range hunting rifle/cartridge has more to do with the mechanic than the tool!

Sums it all up nicely.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Get out there and VOTE!!!awmiller711/13/2010 21:25 pm
Vote Vetspangolin1006/01/2009 07:22 am
Vote to have a wolf hunt.Hiker507/27/2009 06:58 am
HUNTERS VOTEBIG BUCKER703/17/2008 00:47 am
Help me again please!!!doggey111012/20/2012 22:38 pm