2 replies [Last post]
groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Vihtavuori N560 seems to work in 30-06

The time after hunting season is "reloading season" for me.  Its a good indoor activity for those long winter days.  I had picked up a couple of pounds of Vihtavuori N560 smokeless powder a year or two ago. It was not a powder I loaded with but it worked into a swap deal I had and the price was right.  I thought I could probably pass it along, but I've tried swapping it and selling it, but there is just no local interest.  

I finally did a little internet digging and found that it could be used in 30-06 with 180 grain bullets.  The Load data was for Barnes 180 grain bullets with loads from 53 min to 59 max.  I didn't have Barnes projectiles so I loaded Hornady 180 grain Spire points starting at 52.5 grains and working up to 57. 

I shot a few of each and found that my groups started at about 3 inches at 100 yards, shrunk to about 1 inch at 55 grains then began to spread again. I was shooting with the rifle leaning against a tree to help steady it but by no means off a bench and bags.  I'd expect tighter groups with a proper bench and bags but it was just too cold to be out there that long.  It was about 15F when I was shooting, so that was enough load development for me. 

I spent most of yesterday loading up the remaining projectiles from 2 boxes of the Hornadys.  That should keep me in 30-06 for quite awhile and I was happy to find a use for  something that had been taking up room on the reloading bench.  

So - if you guys happen to stumble on Vihtavuori N560 at a reasonable price, don't hesitate to grab it!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I would just like to be able

I would just like to be able to go down to my local gun store and purchase some powder.  Primers are all over the place but powder is still a endangered spiecies. 

groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Sounds familiar but its getting better

That's how I ended up with the N560.  I had never heard of it, but I figured I better take whatever powder I could get when it was really scarce. 

It is a little better now.  Primers are available and there is even plenty of rifle powder available locally.  Not every powder, but go in looking for a list of them and maybe one out of 4 or 5 will be on hand. If you are willing to pay $33 per pound (OUCH!), but shotgun and pistol powder are not to be found at retail.  Powders like Unique, Red Dot, and Bullseye are just not to be found in upstate NY. The regular trap shooters have quit reloading.  They just can't get powder, so they are buying shells at full retail at places like Dick's and Walmart.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 scope mini reviewTndeerhunter601/01/2011 20:49 pm
THIS IS HOW to FIX CONGRESSonzaman701/19/2010 09:11 am
GMUs In Wa StateMauser3006501/30/2008 01:14 am
Clear and present danger to Americabitmasher1504/06/2005 18:03 pm
TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS IIBikerRN206/22/2011 19:42 pm