5 replies [Last post]
JimmyB's picture
Utah General Season Deer Possibly SHORTENED for 2010'

DWR is talking about shortening the already short season down to 5 days like the southern units.

Lets hear some thoughts!

Full Story: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=8924518

JimmyB's picture

Ok I'll start.....

IMO I think it's stupid. They want to shorten the hunt to try and keep the heards bigger instead of reducing the amount of tags they give out. They sell 70,000 General Season tags a year and now they want to cram 70,000 hunters into already crowded areas which I think will make it more dangerous. They just want to keep the revenue the same but only have to worry about the hunt for 5 days instead of 8-9. If its only 5 days long then they only have to worry about setting up check points for 1 weekend instead of 2. If they want to shorten the hunt to 5 days they also need to reduce the amount of tags they're going to sell!

Jimmy,

I'm torn on the issue. I see both sides.

On one side I agree with you, no need to restate what you've said.

On the other side I see the state wanting to leave a few more deer on the mountain and there is a direct correlation to the number of days in the field to the overall success rates. By doing it this way they are not taking away the opportunity for some to rifle hunt deer. If they gave out less tags, on Utahs most popular hunt, they would certainly alienate some hunters. Somebody would be left out in the cold when the tags were all handed out. Even though our government has conditioned us to be skeptical of them in terms of money through repeated KY jobs, I do believe that our wildlife division can't afford to lose any revenue and I do believe that our wildlife dollars are being spent responsibly so I'm not sure I want to see those dollars drop either.

Shortening the hunt bites in some ways but there is a part of me that understands it too.

To me ths solution to many of the problems you stated is multiple rifle seasons. I would love to see that. I don't care if I get the last season as long as I'm not seeing a hunter behind every tree.

Re: Utah General Season Deer Possibly SHORTENED for 2010'

Ditto that, the 5 dayseasons are short enough to make it real hard when the place is crawling with hunters like the So. Gen. And the season dates doesn't corespond all the time with good hunting times as we found out this year in the west. The elk rut was all over the place with conditions during hunts. And if you can't find any deer during the 5 days like I did this year,Oh well. It had deer all over 2 weeks earlier,and they disappeared.Don't know of a hunter that I met that had seen a buck,they asked same, where are they? Spread out rif. season would be great in my book. I like longer seasons myself .7-10 days would be OK by me.

Well it passed and it sucks. I dont even rifle hunt and I think it stinks. The idea was pushed through by the S.F.W. According to the DWR it the shorter seasons DO NOT WORK they tried it in the Southern and South Eastern units and found that more deer end up getting killed with the shorter seasons. Just one more example of who really runs this state when it comes to hunting. Why do we even have a DWR?

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator

History has proven over the years that over 80% of the deer that are harvested in the state of Utah and taken in the first 3 days of the season. Weather that season is 5, 9, or 11 days long. Most hunters will shoot the first buck that they see weather it is a spike or a 4x4 with a 40" spread. It has been this way since the first year that I hunted deer back in the 60's. It was also shown that in the 70's when they had the huge checking stations open that women and not men were the best hunters. In that they were the one's coming through the checking stations with the animals.

The deer herds need to be helped one way or another and in the eye's of the board that made this decision the 5 day hunt state wide is the way to go.
I'm going to cheat this year and if I don't draw out on my limited entry tag I am going general muzzelloading season.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like