7 replies [Last post]
Utah DWR Considers Major Changes for 2011 Seasons

Full Story:

Please use this area to post comments or questions about this news item.

i dont like the idea of the elk hunt and the deer hunt going on at the same time that is to many hunters out in the hills, you have hunter who only rifle elk hunt and who only deer hunt add those together it will be a mess. how ever i do like early deer hunt and the late. i would also like to see the gen muzz elk hunter have either sex, so you can shoot a spike or a cow and cut those late cow tags down. I hate the fact that hunters are shooting cows in DEC and JAN those months are important for the wildlife. The dwr sets dates on picking up horns i think after april because it critical time for them but yet they are allowing hunts to go on in the heart of winter Shame on You! Shame on You!
let me tell you what else i would like to see this would take some of the max points down for limited entry deer is a nov gen area deer hunt like mid nov a 5 day hunt maybe 25 tags per area n,ne,c,se,s I would give up my six deer points for that hunt any way i can keep wishing for some good changes. also a 3point or better on these gen areas and the kids only can shoot 3point or smaller. it is hard to keep up with all these changes they do every year.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator

You think that it is hard keeping up with the changes you need to try and figure it out for 3 or 4 different states like I try and do.
I like the idea of being able to hunt deer and elk in the same season is that if you are limited in your vacation it will help a lot. Colorado has had that option for as long as I can remember and just lately change it to where you can hunt deer and elk in different seasons. Colorado has one elk only and 4 combined hunts each year and I really haven't heard of any complaints. As far as Utah's late cow hunt it's designed to get their numbers down and really shouldn't be considered a hunt but a meat gathering opportunity. Colorado on the other hand complains that they have too many elk but still schedule the cow hunts at the same time that the general elk seasons are and a lot of the state is 4 pt bull only. So how are you going to reduce the numbers that way? I do agree with you in that the kids need a chance to take a deer and putting a 3 pt restriction on adults sounds good until you really look at what will happen. Dad will see a 2 pt and put the kids tag on in and send the kid home without firing a shot. I read a lot of statistics on hunting in the 70's and 80's in Utah and the ones coming through the check points first with animals were women. It was almost as high as 4 women hunters to1 man.
I think that the big thing is it is going to get interesting in the coming years is what ever state you hunt in. Colorado just changed a lot of the regs for next year and now I need to go hire a lawyer to know what I am going to do and I guess that I'll keep him around to figure out what Utah does for 2011. I can't wait to see what Arizona, Wyoming, and Montana are going to do to me.

i understand they need to give cow hunts maybe allow some of the rifle spike hunters to kill a cow or spike. ya there would be dads that would do that but there are hunters that go spike hunting and shoot a big bull there will always be error with hunting. i do know it was tough for me not to take the 223 from my little girls hand when she shot the first time but i held back and let her do it . i would imagine if a dad did that he would feel like a ass after he shot it and the kid said why didnt you let me shoot it and then you know how kids are they go home tell mom dad shot my deer and no sex for 2 week u s o b and after the kid told the grmpa uncle so forth i think he may learn his lesson that is how i would see it go down. anyway i dont have all the right awnsrs but would like them to consider some of the hunters views sometimes. [/i]

The article says they are doing this to split the number of hunters into multiple groups. thus reducing the number of hunters in the field at the same time.

But then they combine Elk and deer hunts. Seems to me you are just putting the same numbers of hunters back on the mountain.

I ride horses 7 miles back in from where I park the truck, Other than a few dirt bags riding atv's where they shouldn't, I never see other hunters. So why woud I worry about how many hunters are on the mountain? I guess those folks that road hunt or don't stray very far from the roads, want to reduce the numbers. but it's just not a big deal for me.

that is what they want you to think is they are going to split number of hunters in the field but its a trick idea. kinda like last year they reduce the price on the deer and elk tags to make you kind think that you would save a little but now you have to buy a combo lic to hunt deer or elk no matter what even if you didnt fish or hunt birds, so a reg elk tag would be 60 and now its 40 but with that demanding combo your spending a little more than you would 70 or 80 dollars. with everything increasing the past 5 years tags combo's habitat number of hunters where is all that money going. hunting in utah is starting to be a rich man's sport anymore

elk and deer

I don't see any issues with hunting elk and deer at the same time.
In Colorado they have done that for as long as I can remember and there has never been any problems or issues.

I don't like hunting deer and elk at the same time for a number of reasons.

1 - Totally eliminates the idea of "less hunters in the field". Counterproductive.
2 - You are bound by region for the deer hunt. So if you don't draw the right deer hunting region then you'll be stuck hunting another region away from your normal/favorite elk hunting grounds almost forcing you pick between the two.
3 - Simply put I don't hunt elk and deer on the same ground. I've got good deer spots and generally there are either no elk on some or its a spiike only unit and I can't hunt any bull. This would force me every year to hunt either my favorite elk or deer spots with a rifle but I couldn't do both anymore. Since Utah has not done it this way we have traditional spots where we go elk hunting and then deer hunting. They are not the same areas!! I am a dedicated hunter so I guess I could make this one work since I can do archery and muzzlelaoder for deer but still a down side for hunting with buddys that do rifle only.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like