19 replies [Last post]
Utah Antlerless Elk Hunt 614 - Wasatch Mountains-West

Hi!
We drew antlerless Elk tags for unit 614 ( Wasatch Mountains-West). Of all the hunt choices we selected, ofcourse, we get drawn for the one which I have no experience with.

Can anybody out there give me some good places to harvest some cow elk in this unit? As of right now, we know very little about the area, with the exception that there are supposed to be a lot of elk there.

This will be my wife and my sons first elk hunt also, so I am trying my best to make it a memorable one for them.

This is also a D.I.Y. hunt., so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

I can point you in a few directions that may help....

There are a ton of elk up Spanish Fork Canyon up by Soldier Summit. About 4 weeks ago I was up there and the place was crawling with elk. I almost applied for a hunt up there but went with another unit. Now your hunt is only on the north side of the road and West side of the summit but there is still a bunch of elk in that area. Start walking the ridgelines, get away from the roads, and do a lot of glassing and you should find them.

There will be elk around Strawberry, up Hobblecreek, and a few up American Fork Canyon as well.

The one negative you have is that you will be hunting during the general elk season so you will have to be out with lots of hunters so keep in mind you may have to do some hiking and get away from the roads.

Thanks for the reply, Rather_be_hunting!
So, in your opinion, where would the Best area to concentrate on for opening? I realize nothing replaces first- hand scouting, and I intend on doing that as it gets a little closer. Just looking for some solid "areas" first.

rather_be_huntin wrote:
I can point you in a few directions that may help....

There are a ton of elk up Spanish Fork Canyon up by Soldier Summit. About 4 weeks ago I was up there and the place was crawling with elk. I almost applied for a hunt up there but went with another unit. Now your hunt is only on the north side of the road and West side of the summit but there is still a bunch of elk in that area. Start walking the ridgelines, get away from the roads, and do a lot of glassing and you should find them.

There will be elk around Strawberry, up Hobblecreek, and a few up American Fork Canyon as well.

The one negative you have is that you will be hunting during the general elk season so you will have to be out with lots of hunters so keep in mind you may have to do some hiking and get away from the roads.

If it were me I would start scouting up by Soldier Summit. From what I've seen this year that's where I've seen the most elk within your unit. That doesn't mean that really is the best place of course. Doesn't mean the elk are still there either because that was 5 or 6 weeks ago.

Start there and let me know what you find.

I'll let you know. We plan on a scouting trip about a week from today for that unit.

My scouting plans fell through. I will try again in August.

Do you have any experience with the area over by Midway (Soldier Hollow), up some road from the old Olympic complex? I was told that may also be a likely spot to find elk.

Sorry.....but no. I've heard there is elk up in that general area but I've never spent any time up there.

I was looking at a map of Soldier Summit. There are a few roads branching out. Theres one traveling North and looks to follow the ridgelines. Is that a good route. Or should I look to the South?

That's the one. I can't remember the name of the road, Left Fork or Right Fork or something like that. From what I can see on your boundaries I don't think you can go south. I think you can only hunt to the north.

Wasatch -West (614)

Yep. Youre right. So thats a pretty good road? ( I drive a full size Dodge pickup)

Yep you should be good. Be prepared to walk a little though to find the elk. I would walk ridges towards the West from that road and you should find them. In short they are all around the summit area. You just gotta figure out which drainages they are haning in on any given day. Some days you'll see em from the highway so they really are all over that area.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Wasatch West ElkMikeandBecky009/17/2008 16:44 pm
Utah wasatch Moosegrunt_smacker407/07/2014 19:45 pm
utah wasatch mountas muzzleloaderdesertpointbrian806/01/2011 20:29 pm
Help! need info on Utah wasatch LE tagcklspencer108/12/2009 19:26 pm
utah cow elk huntasc7873601/21/2009 13:58 pm