5 replies [Last post]
mobud's picture
Units 6 & 161

Looking for some information to start planning for the 2011 elk season.

We hunted the Kelly Creek area of Unit 6 for several years and always did fairly well. We were younger and packed it with horses.  Those days are gone.  We drove past Bull Mountain not far from the KOA and talked to people that hunted the mountain and they did fairly well.  Does anybody have any experience with Bull mountain.

We are also considering hunting Unit 161. I have some maps and other information given to me some years ago indicating some good areas.  Anybody here have some info they might share?

Two of our guys are banged up from accidents and they are not able to cover the miles they used to.

Thanks.

I have no experince with

I have no experince with those areas. I do wish you luck. Look forward to see what you can find out.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Is Bull Mtn in unit 6 or unit

Is Bull Mtn in unit 6 or unit 7? I don't have any experience in unit 6, but could offer some advice on unit 7.
You could check out Exbiologist's website. He has "honey hole" picks for most, if not all, units. I used his pointers to get in the right place to find elk last year. I just made the mistake of not shooting the first legal bull I saw. I passed on a small, legal bull in hopes I would see something bigger. Big mistake to make when the season is only 5 days. It won't happen again.
Anyway, check out his site for some great info because it is very affordable.
Good luck and good hunting. Keep the forum informed with your results.

mobud's picture
Bull Mountain is in Unit 6. 

Bull Mountain is in Unit 6.  You go past the KOA in Gould and head north.  I will check out his website. Do you happen to have it? Good info always.

Thanks agin for the help on this board.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
His site is

His site is westernhuntingdata.com. Great info to be had there. Good luck and good hunting.

mobud's picture
Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your help.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
"Trophy" units in Colorado?donmillion1011/14/2003 19:56 pm
NM units 51, 52?henry wilkins403/15/2009 15:28 pm
over the counter unitspattydukes19802/09/2010 20:00 pm
Colorado Elk Hunteddiehartman112/01/2002 21:27 pm
Colorado elkkcaste304/19/2004 12:34 pm