7 replies [Last post]
unit 371 for elk, deer in unit 18 same season, any advice?

Hi hunters, My wife & I have cow tags for the 2nd season in unit 371. Could we ask for advice if anyone has hunt this area or has ideas that may help us we would really appricate the help. I also have a deer tag for unit 18 2nd season so looks like that tag will not get used as want elk more than deer, how do you put in for deer & elk and make sure you get tags in the same unit?

Thanks for any & all help. good luck this hunting season.

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Your deer tag for second season is good in 18, 28, 37 and 371

New2elk, first off  glad you and your wife got tags and are getting out. It is great to have a wife who likes to hunt. Second, check out the book better, your deer tag for second season is good in 18, 28, 37 and 371 so you have two valid tags to fill in 371 during your hunt. There are no gaurentees you will draw your deer and elk in the same area unless you only put down one choice. Then it is either you draw or do not draw. You can stack the odds by applying for area with high amounts of both tags or by putting in for one tag and hoping for a left over tag in the same unit. I have put in for both many times only to see I drew one and not the other. It is usually the elk I do not draw. As for help with unit 371, sorry cannot help you there as I never hunted that unit.  Best of luck filling all three tags

Thanks SGM

Thank you for the reply, it jogged my memory back to puting in for the deer tag that is the reason cause it would cover the elk units I put in for. It is great to have a wife that will go out hunting, she just don't like the cold or the long hikes any more. We usualy hunt 1st season and in unit 28 but this year we needed to hunt later and ended up in 371 it is just across hwy 9 from where we have hunted before had hoped for some help with keeping the hikes to something my wife could handle. We have did a little scouting and found one trail just north of I70 an just above town but did not find any sign so was hoping maybe some one could help out would like to just get into a few cows. Thanks again.

Live in 371

I Live in unit 371.....if you want I can give you some advice i got 3 elk out of 371 in the past 5 years. PM me your number I will contact you, always out to help other people because of the people that have helped me.

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
My wife loves to hunt too so

My wife loves to hunt too so that is a big plus for sure. She can deal with the cold but cannot hike much due to asthma, but it does not stop her from sitting and watching fields etc. I prefer Muzzle loader or first season but we knew that was not possible so we picked up 3rd season left over tags in 27/181. Never hunted the unit before so it will be an experience. I am just glad we will be able to get out hunting. Good luck to you and looks like you have a great lead from Outdorsy. Let us know how you do.

Outdorsy

Thanks for the phone call the other night!  It was neat the we had been scouting the area you talked about.  Look forward to meeting you and getting to know you better.  Sounds like you know the area well.  My wife is now getting excited about hunting the area.  Thank you so much.

Jdizzle's picture
Thats great new2elk that you

Thats great new2elk that you got some advice on 371. I too am hunting 371 this year 1st season and have done a bit of scouting all over the north end of the unit like upper cataract, surprise lake, and lost lake area with little sign of fresh sign of any elk. I'm going out again tomorrow but if anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Don't waste your time around

Don't waste your time around Cataract. Hunt just north of Slate Mountain. It,s not in 371, but 37. Only place around there that I have found elk. I hunted there last year during bow and got into elk. I hiked in from the trail head west of Piney Lake. Let me know how your hunt went. Hope to hunt there in 2012.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like