14 replies [Last post]
CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Trivial, but very telling about Obama

I did not support Obama because I believe he is less than honest. This small interview exchange, while on a very unimportant topic reveals a man that cannot tell the truth.

Why not answer the question honestly. For example, no, I haven't been able to quit. I try, but quitting smoking is very difficult. Nonetheless, I will keep trying.

Nope - can't be honest and lies to Brokaw.

Here is the interview.

Noting that the White House was a no-smoking zone, Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling broadly. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

"Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
Trivial, but very telling about Obama

That is definitely irritating -- if he can't be straight up with the little things, it makes you wonder about the big ones.

I imagine there are discussions in the Department of the President Elect (DOPE) about how to handle the smoking issue. Let's see...America doesn't want him to smoke. But yet the smoking is a vice that makes him seem more human. So we can't quit outright...he has to struggle with it like normal people. Maybe we can have him fall off the wagon strategically for effect...

Not going to smoke in the White House. Yeah, right...like the Secret Service is going to be OK with him making impromptu trips outside. Then there's the press factor -- someone with a telephoto lens waiting to catch a shot of him standing outside lighting up. Saying he won't smoke in the building is like Clinton saying he didn't inhale.

It's like the dog discussion. The first family needs to get a dog -- not because they're dog people, but because it looks cute and all American to have a first pet. But what sort of dog to get? Hmmm...can't be a Rottweiller, because that'd send a wrong signal. It needs to be something small and cute. If we play up the hypo-allergenic aspect, that drives us to small breeds. But it can't be a poodle...press would have a field day with that one. Maybe a Bichon Frise or a Shih-Tzu? We need something that looks good on camera, but nothing too exotic because we don't want to look elitist...

This is one thing I liked about Bush. People may disagree about the politics, but he knew when to set politics aside and be himself. Not everything was a political decision. I would've been much more impressed if Obama had just said, "I'm trying to quit, but it's a really tough thing."

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Trivial, but very telling about Obama

You are absolutely right - if you lie about little things you'll definitely lie about more important issues.

Can't wait to see how our friendly defenders of the Obama try to spin this.

Location: Butte, MT
Joined: 01/02/2006
Posts: 234
Trivial, but very telling about Obama

Not a fan of Obama, but I don't think this is a big deal. I remember trying to quite chewing. There was a time there that was about 3 years long in which I would have said, "No, I don't chew." But then fell off the wagon again for a few days to a week (enough time to finish a can) and then be "back on the wagon" again; probably happened 2 or 3 times a year. Happy to say I havn't had a chew in my mouth for about 4 years now, but it wasn't always easy.

Anyway, not trying to defend Obama, but I really don't think this is a story.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1780
Trivial, but very telling about Obama
expatriate wrote:
That is definitely irritating -- if he can't be straight up with the little things, it makes you wonder about the big ones.

I imagine there are discussions in the Department of the President Elect (DOPE) about how to handle the smoking issue. Let's see...America doesn't want him to smoke. But yet the smoking is a vice that makes him seem more human. So we can't quit outright...he has to struggle with it like normal people. Maybe we can have him fall off the wagon strategically for effect...

Not going to smoke in the White House. Yeah, right...like the Secret Service is going to be OK with him making impromptu trips outside. Then there's the press factor -- someone with a telephoto lens waiting to catch a shot of him standing outside lighting up. Saying he won't smoke in the building is like Clinton saying he didn't inhale.

It's like the dog discussion. The first family needs to get a dog -- not because they're dog people, but because it looks cute and all American to have a first pet. But what sort of dog to get? Hmmm...can't be a Rottweiller, because that'd send a wrong signal. It needs to be something small and cute. If we play up the hypo-allergenic aspect, that drives us to small breeds. But it can't be a poodle...press would have a field day with that one. Maybe a Bichon Frise or a Shih-Tzu? We need something that looks good on camera, but nothing too exotic because we don't want to look elitist...

This is one thing I liked about Bush. People may disagree about the politics, but he knew when to set politics aside and be himself. Not everything was a political decision. I would've been much more impressed if Obama had just said, "I'm trying to quit, but it's a really tough thing."

It's too bad you will never be able to realize how truly hilarious you are. You and CVC, to a bit lesser degree, really made me chuckle this morning.

Thanks! Laugh Thumbs up

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Trivial, but very telling about Obama

Glad you're amused but that doesn't change the fact that the man doesn't know how to tell the truth. It is sad how your liberal collegues are getting worried but you insist to clinging to the notion that he is straight up with who he is and what he believes.

Time will tell.....

Liberals voice concerns about Obama

Liberals are growing increasingly nervous – and some just flat-out angry – that President-elect Barack Obama seems to be stiffing them on Cabinet jobs and policy choices.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081208/pl_politico/16292;_ylt=Aqd9np.5H4rNqjnNxYZv6YcazJV4

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1780
Trivial, but very telling about Obama
CVC wrote:
Glad you're amused but that doesn't change the fact that the man doesn't know how to tell the truth. It is sad how your liberal collegues are getting worried but you insist to clinging to the notion that he is straight up with who he is and what he believes.

Time will tell.....

Liberals voice concerns about Obama

Liberals are growing increasingly nervous – and some just flat-out angry – that President-elect Barack Obama seems to be stiffing them on Cabinet jobs and policy choices.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081208/pl_politico/16292;_ylt=Aqd9np.5H4rNqjnNxYZv6YcazJV4

And you use this for an example, the smoking! Can't you wait for something substantial that would prove your point. You seem to be shooting at an elk with a bb gun on this one. But, whatever suites you.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Trivial, but very telling about Obama
SoCoKHntr wrote:
CVC wrote:
Glad you're amused but that doesn't change the fact that the man doesn't know how to tell the truth. It is sad how your liberal collegues are getting worried but you insist to clinging to the notion that he is straight up with who he is and what he believes.

Time will tell.....

Liberals voice concerns about Obama

Liberals are growing increasingly nervous – and some just flat-out angry – that President-elect Barack Obama seems to be stiffing them on Cabinet jobs and policy choices.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081208/pl_politico/16292;_ylt=Aqd9np.5H4rNqjnNxYZv6YcazJV4

And you use this for an example, the smoking! Can't you wait for something substantial that would prove your point. You seem to be shooting at an elk with a bb gun on this one. But, whatever suites you.

SoCo - I read and reread your post but don't understand your point.

I pointed out that the smoking issue was trivial, but it is telling about the man's character. A lie is a lie.

Read the link for why your fellow libs are becoming disenchanted with Obama already. It has nothing to do with the smoking issue.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1780
Trivial, but very telling about Obama
CVC wrote:
SoCoKHntr wrote:
CVC wrote:
Glad you're amused but that doesn't change the fact that the man doesn't know how to tell the truth. It is sad how your liberal collegues are getting worried but you insist to clinging to the notion that he is straight up with who he is and what he believes.

Time will tell.....

Liberals voice concerns about Obama

Liberals are growing increasingly nervous – and some just flat-out angry – that President-elect Barack Obama seems to be stiffing them on Cabinet jobs and policy choices.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081208/pl_politico/16292;_ylt=Aqd9np.5H4rNqjnNxYZv6YcazJV4

And you use this for an example, the smoking! Can't you wait for something substantial that would prove your point. You seem to be shooting at an elk with a bb gun on this one. But, whatever suites you.

SoCo - I read and reread your post but don't understand your point.

I pointed out that the smoking issue was trivial, but it is telling about the man's character. A lie is a lie.

Read the link for why your fellow libs are becoming disenchanted with Obama already. It has nothing to do with the smoking issue.

You are being hyper critical in my view due to your bias and hatred of the left. This is something that if Palin, who I believe you like, would have done and I made an issued of it you would protest against it. Expat sure as hell would be defending her, again if she had done what you said.

Also, very naive and or biased if you think that Obama or Palin or any other politician right or left hasn't fibbed about trivial things. Or is it that you think your team only fields Super people with no inherent human faults?

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Trivial, but very telling about Obama

Oh I grow so weary repeating myself with you. I don't have a side, other than the American side.

I have been critical of Bush, McCain and Palin. Look at my topic on health care and you'll see that it is not the conservative point of view and I am critical about the war in Iraq in that post.

I don't hate the left - I disagree with them on some issues, but hate is not a word I'd use to describe my feelings toward them. You're a lib and I don't hate you and my wife is a lib and I certainly don't hate her.

Yes, I know other politicians lie but that doesn't make it right or excuse Obama's behavior. Let's extend your logic....Clinton cheated on his wife so makes what Larry Craig did ok? I don't think so.

Nixon lied but because politicans before him lied that makes his lie ok?

As Americans we should demand honesty from our elected officials. Forgive them for being human - sure, but demand that they be honest or pay the consequences.

Am I biased against Obama? Absolutely! I can see right through his lies and know that he is not the man he representated himself to be when running his campaign. I respect honesty and do not like being lied to.

Apparently, even a Obama supporter like Brokaw thought Obama's lie was big enough to point it out.

Apparently, many other Obama supporters are starting to see they were mislead or is the article to which I linked wrong?

What does Palin have to do with this? The election is done and she is back in Alaska. Focus on the present, not the past.

Will I point out every misstep taken by Obama - yes, just like you and others did with Bush. But I will also acknowledge when he does something right.

Why is it ok for you and others to be hypercritical of Bush, but we have to handle Obama with kid gloves?

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1780
Trivial, but very telling about Obama
CVC wrote:
Oh I grow so weary repeating myself with you. I don't have a side, other than the American side.

I have been critical of Bush, McCain and Palin. Look at my topic on health care and you'll see that it is not the conservative point of view and I am critical about the war in Iraq in that post.

I don't hate the left - I disagree with them on some issues, but hate is not a word I'd use to describe my feelings toward them. You're a lib and I don't hate you and my wife is a lib and I certainly don't hate her.

Yes, I know other politicians lie but that doesn't make it right or excuse Obama's behavior. Let's extend your logic....Clinton cheated on his wife so makes what Larry Craig did ok? I don't think so.

Nixon lied but because politicans before him lied that makes his lie ok?

As Americans we should demand honesty from our elected officials. Forgive them for being human - sure, but demand that they be honest or pay the consequences.

Am I biased against Obama? Absolutely! I can see right through his lies and know that he is not the man he representated himself to be when running his campaign. I respect honesty and do not like being lied to.

Apparently, even a Obama supporter like Brokaw thought Obama's lie was big enough to point it out.

Apparently, many other Obama supporters are starting to see they were mislead or is the article to which I linked wrong?

What does Palin have to do with this? The election is done and she is back in Alaska. Focus on the present, not the past.

Will I point out every misstep taken by Obama - yes, just like you and others did with Bush. But I will also acknowledge when he does something right.

Why is it ok for you and others to be hypercritical of Bush, but we have to handle Obama with kid gloves?

I can only speak for myself but my criticism of Bush had to do with fairly large issues like leading this country to a war for what from my perspective were disingenuous reasons and other questionable actions.

I used Palin as an example in the vein that had she been the one quitting smoking and said what Obama did you'd find a way to put it in her favor. Since it's Obama who you don't like you use it to demonize him.

In regard to your lying comments, what I am saying is if you hyper critically put anyone under the magnifying glass you will find some dirt or lies or half truths at some time in their life. Is any man or woman on this earth perfect? The question is the scale. The smoking issue which you are only surmising is a lie is very small in scale as compared to lying about leaking the identity of CIA operative or knowing about it or lying about WMD's.

Oh, and I don't really think you hate the left, just being a little sarcastic and remembering when anyone spoke up against repubs all the wingnuts would yell "you hate bush," "you hate the right,".

In the end it's a big deal to you in regard to someone you don't like or trust to begin with. To me the example you provided is thin at best and doesn't reveal any glaring flaw in the man.

But, if you can find a perfect person to elect let me know and I'll vote for em to.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
More Obama liesbuffybr205/10/2008 02:52 am
Media & Politicsexpatriate305/05/2008 05:29 am
Obama -- Ready to RULEexpatriate4911/16/2008 13:45 pm
Rapper Ludacris supports a presidential candidateWhelland208/08/2008 05:53 am
Something Good about ObamaCVC2009/26/2009 16:12 pm