24 replies [Last post]
Offline
Moderator
Location: Kentucky/ Colorado
Joined: 06/23/2005
Posts: 1740
Trap Pics

Congrats on 9 beaver so far. Good shot on that grey fox. I didn't realize we even had them here in Colorado until this deer season. I saw two different ones. Once you start trapping those fox, red or grey you'll be hooked. Just make sure you take great care of your traps and snares, as any scent will hurt you when it comes to them. I like the dirt hole and scent post set the best. Look for good places that they crawl through fences and snares will work good on those sets.

redrider's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: NE Kansas
Joined: 03/20/2006
Posts: 2603
Trap Pics

Thanks for the advice, I'll take any I can get. I learned a lot when Hunter777 was here in November Yes
2 opossum, coon, and snared coyote for todays catch.

Hiker are you currently trapping?

Offline
Location: Pennsylvania
Joined: 10/28/2003
Posts: 1647
Trap Pics

Man, your making me jealous! I don't have any time left for trapping this year sad
I'm happy to see that your cleaning up with your trap line though. Lets see the cat Thumbs up
I was thinking that those small holes burrowed into the bank along the steams could be weasels but I'm not sure we don't have weasels or those small holes burrowed into the stream banks where I live. Maybe if you put a dollar or somthing next to the hole to give the guys on this board a reference as to how big the holes are and some location shots.......someone could let us know what made them.

Offline
Location: Pennsylvania
Joined: 10/28/2003
Posts: 1647
Trap Pics

If we can get a dry strethch of weather next season. You should really set some snares on the fox runs back behind your fathers place. I think you can catch a bunch of them back there.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Kentucky/ Colorado
Joined: 06/23/2005
Posts: 1740
Trap Pics

redrider, Colorado made legholds, conibers & snares illegal back in 1992. Some guys use cage traps but I haven't tried those before. They work OK
for coon and cats. I really miss running a trapline. When I was hunting deer in Kansas this year, I saw coon sign everywhere. Some muskrat & beaver to. It kind of got the fire brewing again. I loved trapping with conibers and legholds in drowning sets. Conibers were my favorite. hunter777 hooked me up with our trappers association a few years back but it never panned out. It seems as if they can get around a law or two but it seems pretty complicated to do so. Sounds like you two had a fun deer hunt this year.

redrider's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: NE Kansas
Joined: 03/20/2006
Posts: 2603
Trap Pics

Here's the kitty. I'll reply back later, I have to head to yet ANOTHER Christmas dinner

PreviewAttachmentSize
cat.jpg
cat.jpg492.71 KB
Offline
Moderator
Joined: 12/03/2005
Posts: 1691
Trap Pics

Redrider:
Here's my dinner today:
Started my corned deer meat & cabbage at about 11:00 am. At about noon "thenail" arrived with a large supply of fresh Atlantic smelts from merigomish harbour. Big smile Then went to our buddies place where he was smoking eight Atlantic salmon, so we helped and drank a few beer
Back home now, having crackers & smoked salmon as an appetizer while waiting for the veggies to cook and compliment the corned deer.
The smelts are for dinner tomorrow

That's about as good as it gets for me
Thumbs up

redrider's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: NE Kansas
Joined: 03/20/2006
Posts: 2603
Trap Pics
hunter777 wrote:
Man, your making me jealous! I don't have any time left for trapping this year sad
I'm happy to see that your cleaning up with your trap line though. Lets see the cat Thumbs up
I was thinking that those small holes burrowed into the bank along the steams could be weasels but I'm not sure we don't have weasels or those small holes burrowed into the stream banks where I live. Maybe if you put a dollar or somthing next to the hole to give the guys on this board a reference as to how big the holes are and some location shots.......someone could let us know what made them.

So how did your trapping turn out?
I'll try and get a pic of those holes when I go up next. Water is up a right now do to a big rain and melting snow. I don't get much time as you know to trap in Holton, but we have fox all over here at the Lake. When you come back next year we'll have to set some snares at Dad's Yes I do keep that snare set under the fence. So far 4 yotes and the cat at that set.

redrider's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: NE Kansas
Joined: 03/20/2006
Posts: 2603
Trap Pics
Hiker wrote:
redrider, Colorado made legholds, conibers & snares illegal back in 1992. Some guys use cage traps but I haven't tried those before. They work OK
for coon and cats. I really miss running a trapline. When I was hunting deer in Kansas this year, I saw coon sign everywhere. Some muskrat & beaver to. It kind of got the fire brewing again. I loved trapping with conibers and legholds in drowning sets. Conibers were my favorite. hunter777 hooked me up with our trappers association a few years back but it never panned out. It seems as if they can get around a law or two but it seems pretty complicated to do so. Sounds like you two had a fun deer hunt this year.

That really stinks Brick Wall,) Damn liberals!
I use several live traps that I built from scrap rebar and fencing. They work great. Too dang expensive to buy.
Maybe you should get a furharvester license when you come to KS to deer hunt, or just move to Kansas Big smile
Steve and his buddy Terry and I had a great time hunting. We weren't as successful as we would have liked, but we saw lots of activity and built a friendship that will last a long time.
Only problem was Steve is like Grizzly Adams. All the animals love him and just flock to him, while Terry spent his time being attacked by yotes! lol

PreviewAttachmentSize
steve.jpg
steve.jpg323.04 KB
Terry.jpg
Terry.jpg375.42 KB
redrider's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: NE Kansas
Joined: 03/20/2006
Posts: 2603
Trap Pics
Hammer1 wrote:
Redrider:
Here's my dinner today:
Started my corned deer meat & cabbage at about 11:00 am. At about noon "thenail" arrived with a large supply of fresh Atlantic smelts from merigomish harbour. Big smile Then went to our buddies place where he was smoking eight Atlantic salmon, so we helped and drank a few beer
Back home now, having crackers & smoked salmon as an appetizer while waiting for the veggies to cook and compliment the corned deer.
The smelts are for dinner tomorrow

That's about as good as it gets for me
Thumbs up

I must have missed my invite in the mail Think
Sounds like you guys are living real rough up North lol

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Trappers sound off !!bnow07071008/01/2006 16:56 pm
The Rat Trapbucknaked40012/30/2002 18:57 pm
Pics???GooseHunter Jr409/07/2010 21:31 pm
Illegal fish trap outdoorsman121011/04/2010 20:49 pm
Pics of buck shedding from start to finishredrider409/16/2008 07:42 am