What are your top 5 cartridges, and why? Mine are as follows:
1. 12 gauge - You can hunt everything from small game to big game with slugs or buckshot in the fields and woods, and use it for home protection.
2. .22 long rifle - It's cheap to shoot, it's fun to shoot and a great round for teaching a novice gun safety and hunting skills.
3. 30-06 - This round is versatile, you can shoot anything in North America with it, and it's so readily available.
4. .416 Remington Magnum - It's a great big bore that I'd love to take to Africa someday. It hits hard and will penetrate deep into big critters.
5. .44 Magnum - I know this is the long gun part of the forum, but I thought it needed to be on the list, because of what it did for big game handgun hunting.
There are other cartridges that could be easily placed on the list. I'd just like to see what everyone else likes and why. I know that none of us will agree, but I find it very interesting to see the opinion of other's.
Just don't get too ticked off that I picked a shot shell, the .416 Remington over the .416 Rigby or that I put a handgun caliber in the mix. Let's just keep this fun!