5 replies [Last post]
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless or Savage 16FL in 300WSM or 338WM

Ok, things are getting a little complicated. To answer your responses to my other post, yes, I have experience in shooting heavier calibers but, here is the deal. (Please excuse the length of this post)

I have a 25/06 that is a very fine rifle for hunting small to medium game both back in Alabama and here in Colorado. However, I am giving this family (3 generations) rifle to my youngest son and will be replacing it with a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless or Savage 16 in left hand. My question is this, do I want a 300WSM (165 - 180 grn Barnes-X) or a 338 Win Mag (180 - 225 grn Barnes-X or Nosler) for Elk, Mule, Bighorn, Bigfoot, Swamp monster...... You get the point. I have access to some GREAT land with plenty of game and expect to make shots up to and exceeding 350 yards. Pain in recoil is not a problem since I cut my teeth on 300 H&H mag from my Grandpa's Win pre-64 model 70 as a boy shooting bottles in a trash dump. I now use the lead Caddy at the range.
I really like the 300WSM with its 130 - 180 grn variety but, I am more confident in the 338's killing power for the big guys I am now able to hunt. I know that the 338 is overkill on Mule deer but not on bigfoot.

Here are some stats I need to consider. I hunt using Fed premium ammo. 300wsm 180 grn Barnes zero of 300 yards +- under 4" is 0-350 yards. At 350 yards Vel is 2562, Energy is 2624, Trajectory is -3.8 with a -3.0 at 100 at the other extreme. 338 win mag 180 grn zeroed at 300 yds is -2.9 at 100 yds and -3.8 at 350. At 350 Vel is 2494, Energy is 2487, Traj. is -3.8. 338Win Mag 225grn at 350 yards Vel is 2236, Energy is 2499, Traj is -4.8 with the other extreme being -3.9 at 100. What I am seeing tells me that the 300WSM delivers more than the 338 at 350 with no real change in Traj. The B.C. is as follows: 300WSM 180 is .552, 338WM 180 is .372, and the 338WM 225 is .386. Oh, for a perfect world right about now. What is a guy to do??? I am also wondering about the rifle, given its barrel weight and stock design, will it perform and stand up better using the 300WSM vs. the 338WM. I do not expect to fire the rifle that often outside of the initial sight in but, barrel burnout is a consideration. Does anyone know about this factor with these calibers?

I have also been told that the 165grn bullet in the 300WSM was the flagship of the caliber. Is that too light for ELK? I have been told that my 25/06 or a 270 is capable of dropping elk. However, I do not want to loose an animal due to lack of killing power at the 350+ yard ranges. Up to date, my longest shot on medium game has been under 200 yards (deer in Alabama and a Muley here last season). I do plan on a cow elk this year or next.

Anyway, I would appreciate drawing on others’ experiences.

Bob in canon City, CO

exbiologist's picture

In that comparison, the 300 WSM is superior, however, you are comparing same weight bullets, when the real advantage to a .338 is heavier bullets. Short bullets have low sectional densities and ballistic coeffecients.
So if you're just looking for trajectory, go with the 300 WSM. But you know a .325 WSM might be a little better for Bigfoot and jackelope.
As far 165 gr bullets on elk go, if you're shooting something like a Barnes, I wouldn't think they are too light. I loaded 168 Barnes TSXs in my buddy's .300 Win Mag last year and he used it for both elk and antelope. He shot two antelope and an elk with it last year. Elk at about 250 yards, antelope at 400 and 550. Killed em real dead.
When you compare the ballistics of a 325 WSM to a 300 WSM, the 325 compares favorably in trajectory and downrange energy. But you have a limited number of loads available in the 325.
But if the comparison is 300 WSM vs. 338 Win Mag, I'd actually go with the WSM based on the short action of the gun (which Tikka does not do), rather than the ballistics it provides, as both are more than sufficient for anything in the lower 48.

I have taken a bull at 500 yards with my 300wsm with a 180 grain bullet. However, I would say that is about the max for a large game animal such as an elk. I recovered the bullet on the opposite side of the elk and found very little expansion. Every gun is different, my Browning 300wsm absolutely hates Barnes bullets, factory and reloads. I have found much better accuracy with a Nosler bullet, but oncy again, every gun is different. Personally, I would go with the 338 with a 225 grain Nosler Accubond. You will get opinions on both sides of the fence, you don't need a cannon to kill and elk, you need all the fire power you can get. Regardless, you won't go wrong with either one.

Is Tikka T3 a better rifle than Savage 16?

I believe that Savage has a short action for the 300WSM where Tikka T3 Light Stainless does not. However, I here that the action on the T3 is a solid and well functioning action with no problems in loading. I have heard that the stock is stronger on the T3 than Savage's stock. Both rifles are synthetic with stainless, Both are light weight. Both hace good triggers. Both are available in LEFTHAND which is what I will have in my next hunting rifle. As of this post, if i had the $$$, I am leaning towards the T3. Does anyone hunt with the Savage 16 in the "Mag" calibers. If so, what is your take on this rifle.

bitmasher's picture

Either will be fine for elk, although I would not do the 338 if you don't intend to shoot 225gr bullets or higher.

I would expect the 300wsm to have a higher barrel erosion rate due to higher pressure and velocities for the typical loads used. Although since this is not a bench gun that will be shot a lot, I don't think the barrel wear will be a significant issue.

I shoot the Tikka in 338 and have personally not found the accubond (forget what gr) to shoot nearly as well as the 225 BTS. I went through a lot of money in shells finding the right one for the gun, so if you do go Tikka syn. in 338 I'd start with the Barnes. That's what I use on elk and it worked great on moose as well. Also, through out the cheap aluminum scope mounts that come with the Tikka and get it done right or the scope will move.....just my experience.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like