I put this in another thread but it is worth repeating!
Watch out for the little buggers. Nearly lost my mom to a tick bite last week - end result is bacterial menengitis from a bacteria transmitted by ticks. She couldn't keep anything down for 6 days - not even liquid. Without an IV she'd be dead. The bacterial infection is under control with doxycycline but she has a long road ahead because of the damage done to her brain and surrounding tissues from the swelling. Not only is there Lyme disease, and Ehrlichiosis, but a new report out shows that in NYS the ticks are also now carrying the encephilitus virus. Scary Scary stuff. Be careful out there! Take every tick bite seriously, it could be the one that kills you if left untreated.
A perk of majoring in wildlife biology in college is the plethora of hunting knowledge that you collect throughout your course load. One of the most important factors in whether an area can hold large quantities of animals or produce large antlers is forage.
Most universities, state schools and even community colleges offer basic botany courses and plant ID courses. Although it might not be feasable for the average middle age hunter to pay tuition and go back to college to learn hunting...