6 replies [Last post]
Three Things I Learned In 2006 (Warning)

Three Things I Learned in 2006

(Warning - Religious Content)

1. Quail Trajectories.

We live in a world that is bigger than ourselves. If I missed that buck or duck, or couldn't find that quail, or `somehow' spooked that elk - there was a reason. We live in a world that is governed by rules and laws that are larger than ourselves. I am not the center of my universe (though I may act like it). I learned this looking for blasted quail. The dead quail is not where I think it should be (directly below where I shot it and/or near the feathers that drifted slowly to earth). No, the reason I can't find the quail if that's where I am looking is because, in reality, the bird was flying as fast as it could to get away, and though my shot may have killed it in an instant, the dead (or dying) bird exhibited `projectile motion' and followed a definite `trajectory' downrange. So when I do the physics, and understand that I actually need to be looking 15, 20, 30 ft beyond where I thought I should be looking - I find my quail. When life (relationships, finances, hunting adventures ...) isn't working - we must be willing to look beyond our present thinking, lay down our presuppositions, learn, and improve.

2. Psalm 34.

Psalm 34 (focusing especially on versus 12-16) shows us the key to really enjoying life - living life to the full. Oh - how I want a long life filled with the delights of life and earth. It boils down to HOW WE TREAT PEOPLE.

So, watch how you treat your children, spouse, co-worker. Be nice to your dog, or your kid's cat. Don't cheat, steal, lie.

3. Blue Sky Theory.

`Blue Sky Theory' is this: if the sun is shining outside - go out and enjoy it. Don't always worry about the bills, the business, the etc. Better yet - don't worry at all. Trust God in all things. Tomorrow it may be cloudy - and you will have missed it (if you didn't put the paperwork to the side and pick up your shotgun). Learn to forgive, and be forgiven. Cut people some slack; give a hug. Learn to be happy with the glass (freezer, gas tank, bank account) full, or empty.

So, as I reflect on 2006 - it has not been the easiest year of my `journey' - but it has been good - as I have wrestled with and learned some of the stuff I have talked about above. I put a fair amount of meat in the freezer, and I learned to drink in sunny days - even marvel at them, and even when I didn't fire a shot. And I also learned the great value of relationships, and what a treasure I have in my spouse, children. And I have learned that I can enjoy life when the bank accounts and gas tanks are empty - as much or more than when they are full. You see - true living - like that quail - is not always found where we think we should be looking.

SH

redrider's picture

True! Very True Thumbs up

SH, Thanks for those words. Yes Thumbs up

cowgal's picture

These are lessons we should all learn & more importantly practice in our daily lives. Sadly many don't ...

I sure do like how you think Thumbs up

good stuff! Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments - I'm glad a bit of real life sharing was helpful, or inspiring, or whatever.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Warning to California residenceWesternHunter906/01/2009 19:49 pm
new hereafrican ph1001/13/2011 21:00 pm
Three Most Important Things!!!!!ManOfTheFall108/05/2010 12:10 pm
Help me pack my packmossy33oak1910/05/2010 13:50 pm
Mistakes made may help newbiesredrider1110/26/2006 18:58 pm