25 replies [Last post]
expatriate's picture
Tancredo for President, 2008!

If singing "Dixie" qualifies one for racist status, then I'm in trouble. I used to sing that song when they taught it in elementary school -- in Yankee states. And at some point in the last few years, the Confederate flag stopped being about indepence and rebellion and started symbolizing racism. I'm not sure when that happened, but it was sometime after the Carter administration and well after the Dukes of Hazard stopped running. I knew a lot of people who displayed the Stars & Bars, and they never did it for racial reasons.

I never understood the sudden desire to ban the Confederate flag, considering that most Confederate regiments marched under state flags that are still in existence. It seems odd to me that the flags that flew over the statehouses that enslaved blacks and still fly today aren't considered racist. For that matter, the Stars and Stripes flew in slave states when slavery was condoned. But for some reason, those flags are OK and the rebel flag is racist. Seems a little arbitrary to me.

IMO, we spend way too much effort supressing symbols and speech, and not enough effort dealing with the underlying issues everyone's afraid to discuss.

WesternHunter's picture

Did a some more research on Tancredo's voting record and interest groups who have rated him. Alright I can admit it. Based on what I found I can't continue to shred the man. So I won't. Seems like he's taken some stands on some good issues and some that I did not expect to see. There is a lot of slander about him on the net, but nothing that is real concrete or provides any facts,so I won't use it against him. Guess I can back off on this one.

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
WesternHunter wrote:
Did a some more research on Tancredo's voting record and interest groups who have rated him. Alright I can admit it. Based on what I found I can't continue to shred the man. So I won't. Seems like he's taken some stands on some good issues and some that I did not expect to see. There is a lot of slander about him on the net, but nothing that is real concrete or provides any facts,so I won't use it against him. Guess I can back off on this one.

Thumbs up Thumbs up

expatriate's picture

WH, I'm impressed. One advantage of the web is that it's easier than ever for voters to do the research and sort out truth from all the political chaff out there. Unfortunately, not enough people do so. Thanks for being one of them.

I'm impressed. Most people will do an amazing, ridiculous tap dance to avoid admitting that they might have been mistaken. It takes a real man to say, "You know, I guess I was wrong."

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado governorbitmasher810/19/2010 15:25 pm
Tom Tancredo announces run for governorWesternHunter105/23/2013 12:25 pm
Random Thought.....CVC307/02/2008 12:00 pm
Honduras -- the rest of the storyexpatriate3107/12/2009 16:57 pm
WHO'S VOTING HUSSIEN BARRACK OBAMAHokieman1411/13/2008 22:37 pm