11 replies [Last post]
S&W 629 Classic - Need Help

Ok here's the story this was my dad's gun but since he hardly shoots anymore I took it over and decided to hunt with it. Before he slacked off hunting he put cloth camo tape all over the barrel, grip, frame, everthing except the cylinder Brick Wall,) eye roll Don't ask me what posesed him to do that cause I'll never know. Anyways now it's falling off and I hated it so I stripped it off. Now the gun has a gunky residue all over it. How is the best way to get it off? I used Rem-oil and was able to get it off with alot of scrubbing. But I'm afraid of ruining the finish. Any suggestions?

cowgal's picture

You know what does a pretty good job taking tape residue off is plain old cooking oil. I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt the finish either. A lot depends on how old the tape is. Is it old and brittle? if yes, then it might not work well. Maybe soak some paper towels or rags and wrap around the areas that had the tape, and let it soak at least over night.

Another product that might work is the hand cleaner "goop", however it might harm the finish. Maybe try that on a metal part of the gun.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Aren't all 629s stainless steel? How could you hurt the finish? I didn't think there was any finish!

Unless I'm mistaken and it is nickel plated, or something like that, you can remove the grips and just soak the whole gun in gasoline for a day or two. That will definitely take off any tape residue and won't hurt stainless steel one little bit.

It is stainless but it has a scope so I can't soak it. I was afraid of scratching the finish up by scrubbing to hard.

The tape is a cloth material with an adhesive on the back. The cloth is still flexible but it is falling away from the gun and hence the adhesive. I'll try the oil and see how it works.

bitmasher's picture

I think all 629's are stainless, too. Although S&W does do some limited run, unusual guns from time to time....

I'd just take the scope/grips and base off and soak it,now. Another option for soaking is that orange/citrus based solvent. It seems to remove tape residue well. If you soak, you'll probably need to reoil the moving parts upon assembly.

Some plain, over the counter mineral spirits, cotton rags, your best tooth brush and a little elbow grease. Viola.

Well she's all done. With Rem oil, canola oil, and Lacquer thinner she came clean as a whistle. I used the thiner to take the stuff off the was really stubborn. She looks like new.

And by the way a hint of useful info I discovered that my brothers electric toothbrush made it so much easier to get into the tight little corners. Just stick it in and hit the button and polish away!! Lets just not tell him though! HaHa!

cowgal's picture

Great! Any pictures? lol

I'll get some. I took it huntin the other day. A doe came in about 25 yds and I turned the sight on and the battery was so dead that to get it to come on the red dot was so bright it "haloed" out the whole recticle. When I turned the brightness down it cut off. So no deer so far but maybe soon.

ADKBEAR's picture

Just hold it over a bucket and spray it down heavy with WD-40 it is great at taking off old tape gunk.

you can use Flitz metal polish.
This stuff is great, I have been using it for years. You can use it on blued guns as well. The US shooting team uses it to clean their bores. It also works on paints and fiberglass to take out scratches and restore oxidation damage.

http://www.flitzusa.com

Related Forum Threads You Might Like