9 replies [Last post]
CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Sub MOA @ 100, but not so @ 200

I tried Varget powder for 30.06 loads today. I really liked the sub moa performance I got at 100 yards, but I didn't get the same performance at 200 yards.

Being the good reloader I am, I started at the minimum load today. Do you think I'll see better performance at 200 yards if I increase my load?

Don Fischer's picture

No. What will help your 200yd group's is more shooting at 200yds. In my opinion, the best theing you could do is get the MPBZ for your load and zero it, then practice at the other ranges. If you take your best 100yd load and shoot it as best you can at 50 yds, you'll find the group's tighten there also. Everyting is relative and your working uo hunting loads, right?

If you need the max point blank zero and don't have a way to find it, come back and tell me your bullet's B.C. and muzzle velocity. I can get you real close so that a bit of fireing will get you there. Maybe you should tell me what bullet also but I don't think my cronograph needs to know that.

CVC
CVC's picture

Don, so what you're saying is the load is good, it is the shooter that is causing the larger group?

So, I guess I will stick with that load and shoot some more to see if I can't tighten up my groups at 200 by better shooting?

Yes, I am hunting with these guns, so I want tight groups for that but I also like punching paper.

Thanks.

Big difference how things perform at 100 yrs compared to 200 yard. For example if your windage is off by only 1/4 inch @ 100 yards, it will be off 4 X that at 200 yards(one full inch) I believe. And that's will absolutely no breeze at all. A nice 1 " group at 100 yard doesn't get any tighter as distance increases.
Correct me please if my 4X @ 200 yrs is wrong, anybody.
Your loads should be fine, I believe. don't blame the shooter, must be the rifle,scope, warm barrel, wife put your blood pressure up !!! but never yourself Thumbs up Thumbs up

CVC
CVC's picture

Thanks Hammer - I knew Don had to be wrong - it couldn't be me Yes

Of course I am kidding. You both provided good information.

It did start to rain when I was shooting at 200 yards so I think I'll keep that load because it sure was good at 100 and try again at 200 yards.

Don Fischer's picture

Your going to find that on different day's for whatever reason, you'll shoot better at the longer range. I don't know anybody that can give me a good reason why but have know a lot of people that have tried, I ain't buying!

In theory, 1" @ 100 yds equals 2" @ 200 yds. Us meer mortals seldom have the where with all to pull it off. I'm sure someone will tell us I'm wrong there. But the truth is that some day's we just shoot better than other's. what you find after a while is that with the best load you make you'll consistently shoot a certain size group. Some day's not as good and some days better. On the good days we like to think the we've done one hell of a fine job. On the bad day's, something must be wrong with the rifle, scope or load. That may well be but it isn't as likely as you had a bad day.

Like I said earlier. Find the max point blank zero for the load you select and zero it in there. Test and do load developement at 100 yds, easier to shoot well! Zero that good load at MPBZ and practice with it at other ranges to see where it hit's.

Take the load you like and shoot, say, five different group's on five different day's. You'll get five different group sizes. The average of those five loads is a good indication of what you can really do with that load.

CVC
CVC's picture

Excellent advice Don. Thumbs up

CVC;
You stated that you shot the minimum load at 100 and 200 yards. If that is the case, I suggest that you keep working on the load until you find what it likes. I prefer to zero at 200 yards as it allows me to be in the box so to say at distances of 50 to 300 yards. My .30-06 with 165gr bullets zeroed at 200 yards will hit 2 inches high at 100 yards and 8 inches low at 300 yards. Muzzle velocity is 2800fps.

Don Fischer's picture

JCalhoun,It sounds like your holding about a 4" target area. I'm also assuming you shoot at the different ranges. I'm showing your just under 1" @50yds, about 1 3/4" high @150 yds and 3" low @ 250yds.

I like to check whenever I can the accuracy of my trajectory calculator. Those prettty close? I also used a 165gr Hornady BT with a bc of .435. Actually for hunting purposes at normal ranges I've found that BC just doesn't effect anything much other than the discussion about it.

Don;
Those numbers are really close.

You're right about the BC not making any difference at closer distances.