26 replies [Last post]
Offline
Moderator
Joined: 12/03/2005
Posts: 1691
Stop Elk Release by TWRA

Yes, It is interesting indeed and I'm one of those curious types i did a USDA search and only found 69.000.000 articles, so I might have to narrow my search Laugh Laugh Laugh

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
Stop Elk Release by TWRA

That should keep you busy for a while!

There will be a test later.

Offline
Location: Slidell, La
Joined: 12/30/2006
Posts: 10
Stop Elk Release by TWRA

Nothing in the world like being kept up all night by the elk bugling as they chase cows in the mountains. I hope everyone can experience that one day! Enough to drive a hunter crazy with anticipation!

Any state that can effectively re-introduce elk gets my vote! What a beautiful and majestic animal. Good with mashed potato's and gravy, too.

dl

Offline
Location: Washington's Back Country
Joined: 06/25/2005
Posts: 316
Stop Elk Release by TWRA
Montana Dave wrote:
Nothing in the world like being kept up all night by the elk bugling as they chase cows in the mountains. I hope everyone can experience that one day! Enough to drive a hunter crazy with anticipation!

Any state that can effectively re-introduce elk gets my vote! What a beautiful and majestic animal. Good with mashed potato's and gravy, too.

dl

Have you seen the bill board for Saskatoon?? LOL there is a place for all of gods creatures ....right next to the mash potates....LOL

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
Stop Elk Release by TWRA
Montana Dave wrote:
Nothing in the world like being kept up all night by the elk bugling as they chase cows in the mountains. I hope everyone can experience that one day! Enough to drive a hunter crazy with anticipation!

Any state that can effectively re-introduce elk gets my vote! What a beautiful and majestic animal. Good with mashed potato's and gravy, too.

dl

Montana Dave,

Nobody is suggesting that elk are not majestic and wonderful creatures however state wildlife agencies should not be so greedy and in such a rush to import animals that clearly do not meet the states health requirements concerning CWD and TB.

There are plenty of elk that do meet the requirements that would be safe to introduce for restocking but TWRA has chosen a herd that has not been proven to be a safe herd to import in regards to TB and CWD. TWRA is looking to pocket two to four hundred thousand dollars in the sale of four bull elk tags by way of a raffle and yet they refuse to invest in their elk program and obtain elk from a proven healthy herd that meets TN import requirements in regard to disease issues. They seem to be only concerned about obtaining elk from the cheapest source.

CWD has been diagnosed in a least two mule deer about 100 miles from Elk Island and TB was diagnosed in the elk Island animals years ago. There has never been a whole herd TB test done on the Elk Island animals so no one knows whether or not TB still exist there. While a few Elk Island animals are CWD tested, there has not been sufficient testing to prove that CWD does not exist in the Elk Island herd. It has been document that deer, moose and other animals freely come and go over the fence at Elk Island so it is obvious that this government run Game Farm at Elk Island is not a proven safe herd.

Offline
Location: Canada
Joined: 12/26/2006
Posts: 323
Stop Elk Release by TWRA

Lynn you seem to be on a real rant about this. Chill out a bit, eh.

Elk Island has pure herds of elk, wood bison and plains bison. The park is split by a major highway and this splits the sub-species of bison. All surplus animals that are captured and handled for relocation are tested for TB and brucellosis.

There is no concrete test for CWD as you know, at least not for live animals. Even your so called 'tested' herds are simply herds that have not had an occurance of CWD and does not mean they are actually certified free of the disease.

Until there is a bullet proof CWD test for live animals, there are no 'safe' herds.
The only real solution to the dilema you are encountering is that there is a total moratorium in North America on individual animal or herd transfers and species re-introductions of ungulates. Because depending on how far you want to carry this...........there has never been a documented case of CWD in moose or caribou or reindeer as of yet. These species exist, either in the wild or on game farms, in or near areas where there have been CWD cases in deer or elk, both in the US and Canada. That is not to say that, God forbid, the disease won't be found in those species one day. Then what?

There is only so far you can go with this and public opinion will not necessarily go in the direction of what is the best 'scientific' approach or the 'safest' approach. You are after all dealing with people.............need I say more?

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
Stop Elk Release by TWRA
Makwa wrote:
Lynn you seem to be on a real rant about this. Chill out a bit, eh.

Elk Island has pure herds of elk, wood bison and plains bison. The park is split by a major highway and this splits the sub-species of bison. All surplus animals that are captured and handled for relocation are tested for TB and brucellosis.

There is no concrete test for CWD as you know, at least not for live animals. Even your so called 'tested' herds are simply herds that have not had an occurance of CWD and does not mean they are actually certified free of the disease.

Until there is a bullet proof CWD test for live animals, there are no 'safe' herds.
The only real solution to the dilema you are encountering is that there is a total moratorium in North America on individual animal or herd transfers and species re-introductions of ungulates. Because depending on how far you want to carry this...........there has never been a documented case of CWD in moose or caribou or reindeer as of yet. These species exist, either in the wild or on game farms, in or near areas where there have been CWD cases in deer or elk, both in the US and Canada. That is not to say that, God forbid, the disease won't be found in those species one day. Then what?

There is only so far you can go with this and public opinion will not necessarily go in the direction of what is the best 'scientific' approach or the 'safest' approach. You are after all dealing with people.............need I say more?

**********************************************************

Wake up call for MAKWA,

http://www.rense.com/general67/coloradomoose.htm

Colorado Moose Positive
For Mad Cow/CWD

http://www.cwd-info.org/

Additional Moose in North Central Colorado Test Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease
A moose killed in game management unit (GMU) 7, a few miles southeast of Glendevey, was the second CWD-positive moose diagnosed in Colorado in 2006. This moose was harvested and submitted for testing in October 2006. This unit is northeast of the unit where Colorado's first positive moose was harvested last year. Another moose harvested from GMU 6 in October also tested positive; this unit is within the same population unit as last year’s case.

Makwa, there has never been a whole herd test for TB or Brucellosis in the elk island herd. There has been animals diagnosed with brucellosis in elk island animals.

Makwa, you need to un-chill and get real!

Offline
Location: Canada
Joined: 12/26/2006
Posts: 323
Stop Elk Release by TWRA

Yes this was already pointed out to me in a PM and it is most disturbing. I missed the info as I have been paying more attention to what is happening on my side of the border and have to spend some of my time making a living and running my farm, so i don't manage to stay on top of everything even though I would like to. However it does not change the point I was making. It is fine to have an opinion, but hammering away at people on here isn't going to make things happen. Everyone knows it is a bad situation everywhere with CWD looming over everyones heads.

Get as excited about this as you want, but maybe focus your energy on your local politicians. The people in the state are the ones that need to put the pressure on. If the majority want it and the politicians are on side.....your going to get elk, whether it is a good idea scientifically or not. You know as well as I do there are hundreds of examples of that out there.

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
Stop Elk Release by TWRA
Makwa wrote:
Yes this was already pointed out to me in a PM and it is most disturbing. I missed the info as I have been paying more attention to what is happening on my side of the border and have to spend some of my time making a living and running my farm, so i don't manage to stay on top of everything even though I would like to. However it does not change the point I was making. It is fine to have an opinion, but hammering away at people on here isn't going to make things happen. Everyone knows it is a bad situation everywhere with CWD looming over everyones heads.

Get as excited about this as you want, but maybe focus your energy on your local politicians. The people in the state are the ones that need to put the pressure on. If the majority want it and the politicians are on side.....your going to get elk, whether it is a good idea scientifically or not. You know as well as I do there are hundreds of examples of that out there.

***************************************************

Makwa,

You are missing the main point. It is not about wanting or not wanting elk. It's about importing elk that meet the state's rules and regulations for importing in regard to disease issues. If the state wants to import elk, the very least that they can do is obtain them from a herd that has been properly tested and monitored and Elk Island is neither.

FYI, we are working on both state and federal politicians as well as your Canadian officials. The only reason that this info is being posted here is just to let the hunters know what TWRA is trying to pull. No one expects anyone here to be able to do much about this issue.

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
Stop Elk Release by TWRA

Ms. Carole-Lynn Pilon
Animal Health, CFIA

AND

Dr. Keith Lehman / (Mr. Peter Szarkowicz - Assistant)
Export Office, Animal Health, CFIA

AND

Dr. Carolyn Inch, DVM
National Manager
Disease Control

This letter is being sent in reference to an elk exportation request to move elk from Elk Island in Alberta Canada to Tennessee for the purpose of releasing said elk into the wild for restocking. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) was recently issued a wavier from the Tennessee Commissioner of Agriculture, Ken Givens, to import said elk because the elk at Elk Island do not meet the Tennessee Department of Agriculture's (TDA) rules and regulations regarding disease issues.

The main concern is Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). The elk herd at Elk Island does not meet the TDA five year monitoring requirements which states that the entire herd has to be double tagged with approved tamper proof ear tags and the herd must be completely inventoried each year with all animals accounted for. All animals over sixteen months of age that dies or are slaughtered must have a negative CWD test. No animals can be added to the herd that do not meet the five year monitoring requirements. The herd at Elk Island clearly does not meet these monitoring requirements.

A secondary concern is Tuberculosis (TB). The elk herd at Elk Island does not meet the TDA TB testing requirements which states that the entire herd has to be whole herd TB tested negative or the animals to be imported have to have two negative TB test 90 days apart with the animals quarantined during that 90 day period with no nose to nose contact, before entry into Tennessee. The herd at Elk Island clearly does not meet these TB requirements.

A third concern is the ingress and egress of deer, elk and moose at Elk Island due to an inadequate fence height of 2.2 meters. There is also a concern of the fence not being repaired in a timely manner when damaged. With animals freely coming and going it raises more concerns as to the health of the Elk Island herd especially since CWD has recently been diagnosed in a least two mule about 100 miles from Elk Island.

Since the elk herd at Elk Island clearly does not meet the TDA rules and regulations for import into Tennessee in regard to disease issues and since the elk at Elk Island clearly presents a disease risk to both wildlife and livestock if imported and released in Tennessee and since the elk at Elk Island clearly would have a negative impact on the cervid industry in Tennessee and surrounding states if imported into Tennessee, we therefore strongly suggest that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) not approve the export of any elk from Elk Island in Alberta Canada to Tennessee. If the CFIA decides to approve the export of elk from Elk Island to Tennessee after having been made aware that said elk do not meet TDA import rules and regulations and after having been made aware of all of the risk of such an exportation, we will have no other alternative but to legally proceed to recover damages from the CFIA.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Stop Elk Release by TWRALynn1712/17/2006 12:23 pm
State won't receive elk this yearLynn002/25/2007 13:30 pm
TWRA elk importaion attempt / NOLynn202/09/2007 18:54 pm
WTB GKF The Answer Releasekidofdynomite312/29/2007 14:23 pm
Another awsome bear hunt in Tennessee!!!!hunter7771511/16/2006 18:55 pm