22 replies [Last post]
Don Fischer's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Antelope, Ore
Joined: 03/24/2005
Posts: 3183
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?

That is one disgustingly neat reloading bench. How rude! Laugh

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1776
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?
Don Fischer wrote:
That is one disgustingly neat reloading bench. How rude! Laugh

You cracking on me there Don??? Shame on You! Ha, it gets the job done and has been cleaned since then. Hey, whad ya think about the groups good? bad? or standard?

bitmasher's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 02/27/2002
Posts: 2973
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?

The groups look good to me, looks like it is shooting around 1 MOA for three shots.

Offline
Location: Tulsa, OK
Joined: 06/19/2008
Posts: 4
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?

For all of the reasons (good ones) you've given applauding your 243....go with the 243.

Good hunting

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1776
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?
bigbuff470 wrote:
For all of the reasons (good ones) you've given applauding your 243....go with the 243.

Good hunting

Thanks my friend, and yes, I will be toting the 243. The 7 Mag may be put into use next year for an early season bull only elk tag if I can get it.

Cheers

Offline
Location: California
Joined: 09/06/2008
Posts: 1071
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?

While I've never hunted that kind of game I have done a lot of shooting with the 7mm. Personally I like the round a lot. It really doesnt begin to shine untill after 250 yards or so. It really shoots flat and holds it's velocity at extended ranges and if I were to be taking shots at 300 and beyond I would go with the 7. Having said that my personal skill level with a rifle quickly begins to deteriorate (in the field anyway) at about 2 to 300 yards. I think most people are of similar abilities so unless your a much better than average hunter and marksman you probably won't need it. If you have that much confidence with your 243 I would go with that and have no worries. Those were great groups BTW.

Offline
Moderator
Joined: 12/03/2005
Posts: 1691
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?

BunnySlayer wrote :
" Having said that my personal skill level with a rifle quickly begins to deteriorate (in the field anyway) at about 2 to 300 yards." end quote

I do hope you mean 200 to 300 yards Laugh Thumbs up

Offline
Location: California
Joined: 09/06/2008
Posts: 1071
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?

Very funny hammer. That IS what I meant although somedays I wonder. Laugh

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1776
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?
BunnySlayer wrote:
While I've never hunted that kind of game I have done a lot of shooting with the 7mm. Personally I like the round a lot. It really doesnt begin to shine untill after 250 yards or so. It really shoots flat and holds it's velocity at extended ranges and if I were to be taking shots at 300 and beyond I would go with the 7. Having said that my personal skill level with a rifle quickly begins to deteriorate (in the field anyway) at about 2 to 300 yards. I think most people are of similar abilities so unless your a much better than average hunter and marksman you probably won't need it. If you have that much confidence with your 243 I would go with that and have no worries. Those were great groups BTW.

Thanks man! I did use the 243 and ended up with about a 120 yard lung shot that ended it all quickly. Best shot I've made on any game up to this point was a just under 300 yard shot on a small coyote with my 7mm Mag. I was seated with sticks and felt steady as on the bench. A 175 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw was a little over kill, but I had a buck and bear tag in my pocket at the time.

I've got to see how the draw works out this coming year as we pretty much try to stick to muzzleloader for deer and elk, but that early season bull only rifle tag here in Co. would be a good time to break out the 7 Mag.

Offline
Moderator
Joined: 12/03/2005
Posts: 1691
Stick with 243 handload for Speedgoats or try 7mm Mag?

SoCoKHntr:
Thank God you found Sanctuary in the Reloading Bench. I was terribly concerned for your safety in The Political Section Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
270 Winchester handload for elkhawkeye2701109/13/2010 15:11 pm
270 winchester handload for deer/antelopehawkeye2701202/11/2011 15:21 pm
Photos of Pronghorn HuntsHiker2708/22/2006 07:20 am
Primos Trigger Stickrmocarsky104/20/2010 09:37 am
Sighted in the Ole Smoke StickAlphaMan108/18/2005 17:13 pm