10 replies [Last post]
stevens 200

just wondering if any of you guys can help me. i dont wanna call the savage company itself cause that would be like trying to call george bush lol. it says for this rifle the magazine capacity is 4 rds. i can get 5 rds in my mag and 1 in the chamber also. i push down on the ones in the magazine and shove the bolt closed. so thats 6 rds in the gun and it states 4 in the mag and 1 in the chamber for a total of 5. what i'm asking is if i can get 6 in there and close the bolt properly without any excessive force would i be doing anything harmful. i dont think it should be a prob rite??? thanks for feedback guys

stevens 200

i noticed lots of views but no one is leaving anything to say. come on guys what do you think???? Brick Wall,)

stevens 200

Hello ,wonksy,
My first post here.....I had a problem with a bolt action on a 308 I own, regarding the number of shells I would put in the mag. It called for 4 but after a bit of use I found that after my initial shot the second shell would jam as I tried to chamber it. I was told by my gunsmith that after time if I tried to put too many shells in the mag the spring would eventually fatigue and break down...thus the jamming. So now , when using I just chamber one and mag no more than two. Seems to work just fine.....
Hope this helps....Kodiacnb....

Re: stevens 200
wonksy wrote:
just wondering if any of you guys can help me. i dont wanna call the savage company itself cause that would be like trying to call george bush lol. it says for this rifle the magazine capacity is 4 rds. i can get 5 rds in my mag and 1 in the chamber also. i push down on the ones in the magazine and shove the bolt closed. so thats 6 rds in the gun and it states 4 in the mag and 1 in the chamber for a total of 5. what i'm asking is if i can get 6 in there and close the bolt properly without any excessive force would i be doing anything harmful. i dont think it should be a prob rite??? thanks for feedback guys

I doubt that you are causing any problems but is there really a big advantage to having 6 rounds in a bolt gun over just 5. I usually only put three in(two in the mag and one in the camber) and have never ever needed any more than that. Think

stevens 200

i was planning on keeping the magazine loaded all the time. i just wanted to know what you guys thought...thanks Thumbs up

stevens 200

Overloading your clip or even leaving it full to capacity for extended periods can and will weaken the spring eventually, possibly causing jamming as KodiackNB indicated.
Welcome Aboard KodiacNB

stevens 200

Wonsky, I've had lots of mag-fed rifles over the years and leaving the spring compressed will weaken it....it will develop a memory....kinda similiar to recharging a battery over and over when it's not fully drained each time. Stick to the manufacturer's specs...it'll be best in the long run....

And by the way, why did you choose a Stevens over a Savage model with the Accutrigger? And since when has the Stevens been offered with a detachable clip? Please tell me that you're not leaving a blind mag loaded in your home!!??

stevens 200

i got the stevens over the savage for the simple reason of it was cheaper. its all i need for a winter gun for coyotes. and its made by savage. its basically a 110 savage without the accutrigger.....same bolt and shit....and no the clip dont detach its built in...later

stevens 200

I'm well aware that the Stevens rifle is mfr'd by Savage.....the only diff being the Accutrigger. Being that Savage is an economical rifle to begin with and the Accutrigger a good design and huge improvement over the older trigger(aka Stevens) and that the 10s,12s and 16s in 22-250 all have a shorter bolt throw and could be faster to chamber a second round....I asked the question.

stevens 200

it was cheap,shoots good and not bad lookin for the price. thats all i was lookin for in a winter gun Thumbs up

stevens 200

Cool Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Savage 111 vs. Stevens 200 vs. Marlin XL7sebastian slim801/22/2014 12:03 pm
stevenscodfish312/14/2006 19:41 pm
Ted Stevens - Charges DismissedCVC1004/08/2009 20:54 pm
Stevenscodfish501/06/2007 10:14 am
mossberg 100 atr (all terrain rifle)wonksy203/15/2007 15:11 pm