36 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: 07/03/2006
Posts: 232
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters

I've shot them both ways and as far as wingshooting goes they both have some enjoyment. But as far the hunt, there is none in this sporting preserve situation. That's the point, they make sure you get on birds, in fact they ask how many you would like to "find" today before you go. By definition the word hunt is always hampered by that key ingredient to look for. If you take that out, yep it's downright killing.

A Pheasant Tower Shoot I filmed last winter.
http://www.americasoutdoorsman.com/backwood-ao.html

I have tetered on the edge of this one for a long time, I will admit. I can't stand high fencing native big game, but put and take fishing or wingshooting doesnt seem to bother me. Partially this is due to the fact that the impact is short lived and very few actually live through the first winter. None the less, its a hypocrites point of view.

I shoot quail regularly over pointers on a friends preserve.
http://www.americasoutdoorsman.com/doubleajan.html

Mostly boils down to sporting clays with feathers on them. Lots of shooting. While I shoot quail regularly 75% put out -25%wild, I have only shot pheasants once and I dont think I would do that again.

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters
moderator wrote:
Just watched the movie clip and they did indeed use preserve raised pheasants (that was not stated in the printed article). However, I don't see how this is an issue, since preserve raised birds are fairly common all over the country. They used this setting simply to introduce novices to the hunting sport.

I still do not come to the conclusion from this story that the DOW is encouraging hunts on preserves, since their objective is to sell more licenses and bolster their own bottom line. Encouraging hunts on a preserve would defeat that purpose.

moderator,

What's not to get? They clearly stated that it took place on a preserve!!!

I realize that state game agencies think it's alright when they use preserves to make money but I thought you guys had a problem with farm raised wildlife being hunted or killed. Where is the fair chase that you usually speak of?

It seems that most hunters have been brain washed by state wildlife agencies into thinking this type of situation is alright when done by the state but is a big no no when done by an individual. Wake up people, the results are the same in the end, the farm raise wildlife is dead either way regardless who does it and it's not just done with small game. State Wildlife Agencies sell opportunities to kill deer and other big game behind high fence. How many here have hunted on one of these high fence deer hunts managed by a state wildlife agency???

Offline
Moderator
Joined: 01/27/2002
Posts: 7916
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters

Comparing preserve raised pheasant hunts to high fence big game hunts is like comparing apples to oranges. Its just not the same.

I personally don't care if people participate in high fence hunts. Its an individual choice and to me its not any different than harvesting beef on a ranch. But its not hunting and never will be.

If a state wildlife agency wishes to use farm raised pheasant to introduce folks to hunting, I don't see a problem with it. I'm not aware of any state endorsed high fence hunts for big game.

Lynn, we now understand that you're all about promoting high fence hunts. And for some folks that may be the only way for them to harvest game, but for most folks its not an acceptable form of hunting. Its simply killing an animal, just like you would livestock for food.

Offline
Location: Summit, IL
Joined: 10/22/2006
Posts: 706
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters

Ok.....One....It wasnt a state ran preserve.....The hunt was SPONCERED by the state and HOSTED on a pheasant preserve (open your ears and listen Lynn and you may actually hear whats said and not just what you want) Stocking Pheasants is a common practice in several states such as PA because the state wont hold birds anymore due to many factors...They have tried to reintroduce pheasants MANY times and they wouldnt take...So the state commissions Pheasant farms for birds to place on STATE GAME LANDS not Private hunting preserves. The One in Colorado that was aired in that news clip was done on a Preserve for 2 reasons...One it was cheaper on the state than hiring guides and dogs for open range birds and 2 it pretty much guarenteed some shooting action for NEW HUNTERS TO BE INTRODUCED TO HUNTING....Now think about it....You have never hunted before....You are invited to go on a hunt....you go for 3 days with no luck because of different reasons....Would you be impressed and captivated? I think not....Again Lynn as always you are trying to take something that was meant for a good cause and reverse and PERVERS it to something that is wrong. Please grow up and try to come to the real world Lynn....Noone in here is interested in your High Fence ranting and Crap....Just be a good little one and go somewhere else for your lil games...We really are NOT interested...TY Thumbs up ...And moderator...Love ya bud but dont edit this one....He needs to get this point Thanks

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters
moderator wrote:
Comparing preserve raised pheasant hunts to high fence big game hunts is like comparing apples to oranges. Its just not the same.

I personally don't care if people participate in high fence hunts. Its an individual choice and to me its not any different than harvesting beef on a ranch. But its not hunting and never will be.

If a state wildlife agency wishes to use farm raised pheasant to introduce folks to hunting, I don't see a problem with it. I'm not aware of any state endorsed high fence hunts for big game.

Lynn, we now understand that you're all about promoting high fence hunts. And for some folks that may be the only way for them to harvest game, but for most folks its not an acceptable form of hunting. Its simply killing an animal, just like you would livestock for food.

moderator,

Pay attention, you are the one comparing the pheasant preserve to a high fence preserve. I did not compare the pheasant preserve to a high fence preserve.

You may not consider shooting animals behind a high fence as hunting but state wildlife agencies do. Many states have areas that are high fenced for security reasons or for whatever reason for different things such as military bases where they allow hunting. These are managed by state wildlife agencies.

Moderator, you now understand no more than you did before I started posting. In free range areas where there are 80 to 100 deer per square mile, due to state wildlife agencies mismanagement, it is less of a hunt and more like shooting livestock when compared to hunting a high fenced area with 5 to 10 deer per square mile.

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters
cam69conv wrote:
Ok.....One....It wasnt a state ran preserve.....The hunt was SPONCERED by the state and HOSTED on a pheasant preserve (open your ears and listen Lynn and you may actually hear whats said and not just what you want) Stocking Pheasants is a common practice in several states such as PA because the state wont hold birds anymore due to many factors...They have tried to reintroduce pheasants MANY times and they wouldnt take...So the state commissions Pheasant farms for birds to place on STATE GAME LANDS not Private hunting preserves. The One in Colorado that was aired in that news clip was done on a Preserve for 2 reasons...One it was cheaper on the state than hiring guides and dogs for open range birds and 2 it pretty much guarenteed some shooting action for NEW HUNTERS TO BE INTRODUCED TO HUNTING....Now think about it....You have never hunted before....You are invited to go on a hunt....you go for 3 days with no luck because of different reasons....Would you be impressed and captivated? I think not....Again Lynn as always you are trying to take something that was meant for a good cause and reverse and PERVERS it to something that is wrong. Please grow up and try to come to the real world Lynn....Noone in here is interested in your High Fence ranting and Crap....Just be a good little one and go somewhere else for your lil games...We really are NOT interested...TY Thumbs up ...And moderator...Love ya bud but dont edit this one....He needs to get this point Thanks

cam69conv,

Leave off the smart-alecky remarks and try to comprehend what you are reading! No one said it was a state run preserve. The same reasons that you stated for the state shooting pen raised wildlife also applies to private industry. I realize that most of this is over your head and I really don't expect you to understand.

Offline
Moderator
Joined: 01/27/2002
Posts: 7916
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters

Listen Lynn, I've tried to understand where you're coming from and done it in a respectful manner.

You yourself introduced high fence big game hunting into this thread a few posts ago.

I quote your words : "State Wildlife Agencies sell opportunities to kill deer and other big game behind high fence. How many here have hunted on one of these high fence deer hunts managed by a state wildlife agency???"

And no one considers shooting an animal behind a high fence hunting, and secondly comparing this to a military base is ridiculous. We're talking about a vast difference in acreage and the animals are free ranging. I'm assuming you're alluding to the bases in New Mexico that offer hunting.

Because I don't agree that high fence hunting is indeed "hunting" does not mean I don't understand. I understand plenty and I don't have to agree. You have your opinion and I've respected that, now its time to respect our opinions as well.

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters
moderator wrote:
Listen Lynn, I've tried to understand where you're coming from and done it in a respectful manner.

You yourself introduced high fence big game hunting into this thread a few posts ago.

I quote your words : "State Wildlife Agencies sell opportunities to kill deer and other big game behind high fence. How many here have hunted on one of these high fence deer hunts managed by a state wildlife agency???"

And no one considers shooting an animal behind a high fence hunting, and secondly comparing this to a military base is ridiculous. We're talking about a vast difference in acreage and the animals are free ranging. I'm assuming you're alluding to the bases in New Mexico that offer hunting.

Because I don't agree that high fence hunting is indeed "hunting" does not mean I don't understand. I understand plenty and I don't have to agree. You have your opinion and I've respected that, now its time to respect our opinions as well.

Listen moderator, I too have been respectful in my post even though you have allowed others to get by with things that would get me banned if I did them. I never compared pheasant hunting on a preserve to high fence hunting. Yes I did mention high fence hunting later down in the thread but I did not compare the two.

You are dead wrong when you say no one considers shooting an animal behind high fence hunting. State Wildlife Agencies do it all the time. Some of these enclosures are large and some are not but with a state hunting license you can hunt these enclosures. The animals you refer to in your statement as being free ranging are still confined behind a fence and are not free to travel beyond that fence.

I don't expect for you to agree with me but if you want to gain respect, treat every poster the same and not allow the posters that have a similar opinion to yours, get by with attacks on posters who have a different opinion.

Offline
Moderator
Joined: 01/27/2002
Posts: 7916
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters

Lynn, I'm not going to argue with you. You and anyone else can hunt where ever and in what ever manner that is lawful in your jurisdiction.

About allowing attacks on you or any other poster, you know that quite a few posts have been removed.

The bottom line is that many hunters do not agree with high fence hunting and nothing you say will convince them otherwise.

Offline
Joined: 10/15/2006
Posts: 127
state wildlife agency uses preserves to attract new hunters
moderator wrote:
Lynn, I'm not going to argue with you. You and anyone else can hunt where ever and in what ever manner that is lawful in your jurisdiction.

I appreciate that at least you did finally agree that it is hunting.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like