8 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: St. Louis County
Joined: 01/10/2006
Posts: 339
Standing Corn....UGH!!!

I got shut out this year in Missouri's rifle season. Could have killed several does, but decided to pass this year. Saw lots of little bucks, but no shooters.

Our main problem, aside from the prevailing southerly winds, was the fact that both properties still had all their corn in. Not one stalk cut! We noticed in Northern Missouri that about 80% of the cornfields were still in.

One guy and his son saw a monster step out of the corn in response to a bleat call, but were unable to tag him.

I still have an unused Illinois bow permit, so I'm hoping to get another weekend or two in before the season's out. My cousin saw five big bucks, including a 10-pointer with droptines on the property, so I still have hope...
Yes

Offline
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Joined: 01/02/2007
Posts: 145
Standing Corn....UGH!!!

yea the property I do my hunting on didn't have the corn cut yet back about a month ago. it better be cut come Wednesday.

Offline
Location: new brunswick
Joined: 07/28/2007
Posts: 298
Standing Corn....UGH!!!
d3238 wrote:
yea the property I do my hunting on didn't have the corn cut yet back about a month ago. it better be cut come Wednesday.

..maybe you should check with the farmer and offer your time to give him a hand cutting lol good luck !

Offline
Location: Kingston, MI
Joined: 01/16/2007
Posts: 648
Standing Corn....UGH!!!

I love standing corn. When conditions are right, I could sneak around all day in a big corn field......with a gun or bow.

Get the video, "Bowhunting October Whitetails," and you'll see how it's done. The only difference from the video is that I'd rather hunt by myself than with other people......which you'll need to do if your hunting with a firearm.

Offline
Location: St. Louis County
Joined: 01/10/2006
Posts: 339
Standing Corn....UGH!!!

Sneaking through the corn with a 30/06 doesn't sound very safe to me. Even with a bow, I don't see how you could get a very good shot at one...just my opinion.

-Dave

Location: kcmo
Joined: 08/04/2007
Posts: 128
Standing Corn....UGH!!!

D3238,

Where abouts do you do your hunting in KS? I live in OP and was hunting a farm down around Hillsdale. But I am going to try another farm up near Atchinson this weekend. Gotta love bow hunting in orange.........for the next 12 days starting Wednesday that is. Anyways, I am always looking for new hunting partners seeing how I have only lived in KS for 3 years now and hunt alone.

Offline
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Joined: 01/02/2007
Posts: 145
Standing Corn....UGH!!!
rookie in kansas wrote:
D3238,

Where abouts do you do your hunting in KS? I live in OP and was hunting a farm down around Hillsdale. But I am going to try another farm up near Atchinson this weekend. Gotta love bow hunting in orange.........for the next 12 days starting Wednesday that is. Anyways, I am always looking for new hunting partners seeing how I have only lived in KS for 3 years now and hunt alone.

I hunt south of Atchison off of 73 about 10 miles with some of my uncles friends who stayed here in kansas after college. I wish I could find land closer to me, driving an hour to a hunting spot isn't very fun :(

Location: kcmo
Joined: 08/04/2007
Posts: 128
Standing Corn....UGH!!!

I will be hunting up that way this weekend my self. I will be just west of 73, south of Atchison and north west of Potter (74).

Offline
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Joined: 01/02/2007
Posts: 145
Standing Corn....UGH!!!
rookie in kansas wrote:
I will be hunting up that way this weekend my self. I will be just west of 73, south of Atchison and north west of Potter (74).

Yea last year I saw a nice 10 point that looked very similar to the 12 point I harvested off of the same land 2 years before. Too bad he presented himself 5 yards and later 15 yards away from me while it was doe season. I hope he steps out tomorrow, I got some lead with his name on it.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Yarded up deergroovy mike903/25/2011 16:06 pm
Illinois Cropsjim boyd511/20/2010 18:17 pm
Deer CornCVC2111/13/2010 19:34 pm
NY turkey huntingHunterMan0892203/16/2009 10:08 am
World Record Black Bear North Carolina Lease AvailableCarolinaOutfitter009/26/2007 22:24 pm