6 replies [Last post]
Springfield 1911 4" barrel?

I am planning on purchasing a 45 cal. semi-auto pistol for carrying in my motorhome and while on outings in the Rockies.

I have been looking at various mod. 1911's and have found that I like the optional equipment that comes on the new Springfield "Loaded" models. Especially the one with the four inch barrel.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Have any pros or cons of the gun? Is the "loaded" model worth the extra money over the Mil Spec or even the GI model? What loads do you shoot in yours? How accurate is it? Which model do you have and for how long?

WesternHunter's picture

Just my preference and opinion, but .45 ACP is most efficient when used with a full sized 5 inch barrel. Compact .45's just result in lower velocity to the already slow .45 ACP.

ADKBEAR's picture

LX
The 45 auto is an awsome personal defence round. Like WesternH says it is not a fast round but to be honest I am into retained energy more than speed. It doesnt matter where you hit someone with a 45 slug they are going to fall down. The 1911 is a tried and true performer and has been for almost 100 years (Mr. Browning really knew what he was doing).
As far as the loaded verson compaired to the military stock;
Mine is a Springfield 1911-A1 I bought it "stock". Things I have done to it are;
1- Put adjustable sights on it. I did this for paper punching if you are just goung to carry for PP it is not likely that your range of fire will exceed 10 yds. At this distance fixed sights will be fine.

2- Had a trigger job done. This I would recomend the 2 stage trigger pull can be very distracting.

3- Had the feed ramp polished. Another recomendation since the 1911 are not known to feed hollow points very well and this made a difference in my guns abilitys.

With just these 2 things (or three if you want the adj sights) I would recomend getting a stock gun and having the work done yourself (by a competent gunsmith). It will end up being cheaper than buying a custom made gun from the mfg.

WesternHunter's picture

Not meant to start a caliber argument, but be careful when making statements along the lines of "It doesnt matter where you hit someone with a 45 slug they are going to fall down". That has always been a common misconception among many recreational shooters. Don't get me wrong, the .45 ACP is a great defense round, but like with any cartridge, a well placed shot at a reasonable distance is always required to be very effective.

Yeah I like full size barrels in .45 ACP for the velocity they achieve. For up close and personal defence (which is where defensive shooting occure) a compact .45 ACP can be very effective. Just depends on what you as a shooter plan to use the gun for, home protection, duty sidearm, or conceal carry???

ADKBEAR, sound like that Springfield has worked out for ya. The modifications you suggest are really all you need to spruce up any 1911. Thumbs up

ADKBEAR's picture

Just an expression that I picked up from 2 different ex military guys who witnessed 45 shootings (both non-leathel).

Got a great deal !!!

Just picked-up a slightlly used Springfield Champion SS in 45ACP last week. Took it to the range today and it groups great at 25 yds. I couldn't be happier. My son and I put 200 rounds thru it. Mostly FMJ, but about 50 were Federal hollowpoints in 230 gr. We didn't have a single failure of any kind. When I got the pistol, it looked as if it had had less than 50 rnds. shot thru it previously. It's the Springfield "loaded" model with tritium nite sites and set me back less than $600 as a used gun, so I don't think I did too badly. That was less than I could get the G.I. model for new out here in Colorado.

Now, if I can spend the time at the range to really get proficient with it, & be confident in its reliability with personal defense rounds, I think I've got the gun that will accompany me in the motorhome. (Except for the times I go into states that have pistol restrictions. Then I'll use my 12 gauge Home Defender.)

ADKBEAR's picture

Sounds like a good deal on a great used gun.
Congrats.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
In the market for a new 45ACP. What to get?rckjeep1405/24/2006 01:42 am
Looking to buy a 1911...Need help....any inputDondo90712/05/2008 16:15 pm
2005 Handgun Ram Huntdenvas408/02/2005 20:44 pm
Full Length Stock?marksman606/28/2011 17:43 pm
looking for a 1911 style pistolthom1175301/27/2008 09:37 am