22 replies [Last post]
woods1126's picture
Spring 2011 Quebec Bear Hunt

Hi everyone, I haven't been on in a while. I just wanted to share some photos of me and my son Josh and the bears we took on our hunt this June. Enjoy

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Those are some great bears,

Those are some great bears, congratulations on your hunts. I've been loking around at some bear hunts for awhile as Iv'e never had the chance as of yet to really go after one. Qubec is a bit too far for me to travel but I do have some other plans in mind. 

For now I'm probably just going to make a better effort here in Colorado to get one as we have plenty of them. I just have not taken the time to focus just on the bears as it usually interferes with something else.

Great job again, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Man, those are a couple of

Man, those are a couple of beautiful black bears!  A big congrats to you and the boy!  Any good stories to go along with them?

Just curious, what is Josh holding for a gun?  Looks like a decent caliber lever-gun, maybe? 

Very nice!

Great looking bears, looks

Great looking bears, looks like a fantastic father-son trip. congrats to both of you.

woods1126's picture
Thanks Guys

Hello again, Thanks for your comments. It was another great hunt in Quebec this spring. Josh's bear was the second bear to show up on the bait chasing the first smaller bear off. His hunt was over in just 2 hours on the first afternoon. The Winchester Trapper 45 long colt was stoked with handloaded 280 gr. flat nose hardcast bullets produced by Beartooth Bullets in front of a heavy dose of h110. I was up next on day two using the same little carbine. We hunted a different location,one that I had taken a bear three years ago at. The first bear appeared at 7:05pm. He didn't stay for long. He seemed very nervous and before too long another bear came strolling in. This bear was alittle bigger than the first and he or she had a nice white V on it's chest. This bear stayed about 20 minutes and got it's fill. Number three bear came in at 8:10pm. He was very careful and never would put his head in the bait bucket. He used his paw and brought the grub to his mouth while constantly scanning the area. This bear was alittle bigger than the first two and I would guess his weight at about 175lbs -200lbs. I was looking for something alittle bigger so I watched him while Josh got some good video of him. Bear number four was a nice mature boar. He seemed to rule the bait. He came right in and sat down at the bucket and started to feast. His head never came out of the bucket. I was just getting ready to take him when he looked up and took off. I thought he saw or winded us, but it wasn't us he was running from. Bear number five looked huge compared to the rest apperaing from the left of the bait. This bruin was the boss. My gun was ready and when he began to feed I put one where the neck meets the shoulder and he never knew what hit him. Another great hunt thank God.

Below are a couple photos of our 2010 hunt with  the same outfitter. Again, Josh got his bear the first night and I killed my nice boar on the third evening's hunt. We saw 14 different bears on that trip. We used a Winchester Trapper in 44 magnum last year. 320gr. Cast performance long flat nose hardcast bullets in front of a big dose of h110. All one shot kills. Thanks again and happy hunting to all. :D  Kevin

PreviewAttachmentSize
Josh's bear 2010
Josh's bear 2010474.51 KB
My 2010 Quebec Bear
My 2010 Quebec Bear481.18 KB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Wow, that's a couple of nice

Wow, that's a couple of nice back-to-back hunting seasons right there!  Those 2 bears are really nice also!

Congrats, and thanks for the longer story! Nice gun, BTW. Wink

woods1126's picture
Thanks Ca Vermonster

Thanks Ca Vermonster, I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

SGM
SGM's picture
Woods, wow those are some

Woods, wow those are some great bears from this year and last. That one your son got this year is a great trophy. Liked the story of the hunt but to me the pictures really helped put the story together. I know that harvesting those bears was great but doing it with your boy makes it even more special. Nothing like being out with the kids when they harvest an animal. I am heading to Idaho in the spring of 2012 for my first spring bear hunt. My wife and I are very excited to go and we are already counting the days. Did you do any kind of mounts with your bears or did you do a rug? We plan on doing a full mount if we are lucky enough to harvest a bear. Thanks again for the story and pictures.  

woods1126's picture
Rugs and Mounts!

Hi SGM, Josh has a full mount coming and a rug from last years bear. I have a 1/2 mount from last years bear and a rug coming from this years. I also have a shoulder mount of a nice bear I killed in Quebec from 3 years ago. My wife says were DONE! Congratulations on your upcoming Idaho hunt!! I hear they have quite a few color phase bears there. Are you hunting over bait or behind hounds? Is it a two bear area? I'd love to hear about it. Thanks

SGM
SGM's picture
Bears

Woods, those mounts and the rug sound great. I bet that full mount will look great in your home. Send a few photos of the mounts if you have them. Would love to see them. My wife suggested getting the full mount bear in fact she wants two. She also wants a rug but that will be a later hunt. Guess I am lucky to have a wife that likes and wants all kinds of mounts like I do. If you read the story I put in the Photos and Stories part of the forum “Filling on Dream and Chasing Another” you can see how the upcoming hunt became a reality.  From what you have said and your photos you have had great success. Quebec hunts sound great for bear but for me just too far to travel right now.

As for Idaho, we will be hunting over bait but I talked with the guide and he is all about stalking and glassing for bears also. Plan is to glass mornings/afternoons and sit on bait in the late afternoon until dark. It is a two bear area and the area is about 60% color phase bears. He said they take way more cinnamon and chocolate bears than they do blacks. They get a few blonds in the area but he did not see one during the 2011 spring season. A blond would be sweet but not holding my breath that’s for sure. Would like a cinnamon and a black but we will see what happens on that. We are the first hunters in camp for the year and he is the only outfitter in the area so we have a very good chance of getting both bears. Of course it is hunting so nothing is for sure until the critter is on the ground.  We will be hunting in the Frank Church Wilderness Area so it will be fun and exciting no matter what happens I am sure. The hunt is mid May so it’s still a ways off but already excited to go. Will be hunting with a rifle as I gave up bow hunting a few years back do to some shoulder issues. Getting older sucks sometimes.

woods1126's picture
Great Story!

SGM, That was a great story. Awesome Cat!! I've always dreamed of going on a cat hunt, but unfortunately I don't think I could do it physically. God bless you for pulling it off. The Idaho hunt sounds wonderful. I have killed quite a few bears but all are black. I sure would love to get a couple different colored ones. Please fill me in on how you do. I'll take some photos of my game room and post. Good hunting. Kevin

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Anybody going bear hunting this spring?woods1126503/15/2013 20:02 pm
Quebec Bear HuntsEliteGT500shot109/15/2011 15:57 pm
Moose hunt in Quebecoe542309/26/2005 10:23 am
Were back from Quebecwoods11261007/08/2013 23:28 pm
Booking Spring Bear 2011TwoBear012/15/2010 16:56 pm