9 replies [Last post]
Speer .85 grn .243 ?

I went to the range yesterday and this bullet shot very tiny groups compared to the factory loads and a number of handloads,including the much vaunted sierra .85 game king. Has anyone used this bullet on game (antelope/deer) and what were your results ? I'm considering using this bullet as a dual purpose bullet for coyotes and the occasional deer. Imput appreciated. Think

Speer .85 grn .243 ?

I have nothing but good things to say about the Speer 85gr SPBT also the 80gr flat base Hot Core for game, up to deer size. If they shoot well out of you rifle.

WesternHunter's picture
Speer .85 grn .243 ?

I can't say about that bullet in .243, but I can attest to it being the most accurate bullet I load for my .270 win. I mean I'm talking 3/4" to 1" groups @ 100 yrds out of a Winchester M70 Featherweight strapped into a rest. I think thats very great from such a light contoured barrel. The SPBT has performed great on pronghorn and deer for me in the field. It's a standard softpoint construction with a spritzer point and boatttail base. I think it will perform great for anything you can hunt with a .243

Speer .85 grn .243 ?

Gentlemen, right here is where the 243/6mm got a bad name! Folks trying varment bullets on deer! No bullet of less than 100 grs should ever be used on deer, or deer sized game, in any 6mm/.243 rifle. The 100 gr Nosler Partitions pushed by a load of 43.0 grs of IMR4831 @ 3000 fps is the medicine you need! Thumbs up

Use the light bullets for coyotes, and praire dogs! Brick Wall,)

WesternHunter's picture
Speer .85 grn .243 ?

The Speer Spritzer Point Boattail is not a varmit bullet and is designed to expand very well on deer and pronghorn (or similar sized game). While a 100 grain bullet would be a better bullet weight for these animals, I would not go so far as to say that the 85 grainer is too light. Though it is on the light side for big game.

For deer sized game, you definitley do not need a premium bonded bullet such as the Nosler Partition. Any standard soft point is more in order for these animals.

Don Fischer's picture
Speer .85 grn .243 ?

Once again I find myself in Dugaboy's corner. I have a hard time with the 243 as a game cartridge as it is. In spite of all it's done and I don't dispute that. But I believe that it is truely a long range large preditor cartridge. We see where bullet manufactures are making lighter and lighter bullets and calling them game bullet's but I think that's just a sales deal. To many guys want more distance so rather than go to a larger dia bullet that is heavier, they go down in bullet weight and raise velocity. I think that a 250-3000 with a 120gr bullet is a better cartridge for deer than any 24 cal.

WesternHunter's picture
Speer .85 grn .243 ?

While the 250-3000 Savage is a great deer cartridge, the problem is that it's sadly very hard to come by anymore. I guess that cartridge started to fall out of favor with most hunters before I ever started shooting (around the time I started walking maybe Think ). I'm only familiar with it because my dad owned a rifle chambered for it and infact I still have about 8 to 10 of it's cartridges in my basement left over from the last time I fired that rifle (about in 1984 or so). My father said he only ever reloaded 2 batches of 50 cartridges for that rifle totaling 100 rounds. The first batch was in 1959 and the second again in 1964. So those remaing that I have are at least 42 years old now. I don't believe anyone chambers a rifle for that round anymore. That's too bad too because it seemed to be a great round. My uncle favored it for deer as it did the job for him on deer with very little recoil to the shooter. Though my father was never really totally impressed with the 250 Savage for hunting with, he always prefered the .30-06 Springfield out of his 1952 purchased Winchester Model 70 for everything.

Speer .85 grn .243 ?

I've used a .243 for years and it's arguably the best one-shot-killer that I own when it comes to deer or speedgoats. I handload, but this one seems to perform just fine with standard Remington and Winchester factory SPs.

I had quite a run of bad luck with GameKings awhile back. I've used them in 6mm, .308, and in .375 and while they'll shoot nice groups at the range, I seemed to end up tracking a lot of mortally wounded game. Though you can't really compare one hit animal to the next, nor shooting situation, all of that work tracking seemed to end abruptly when I switched to Hornady and Speer. I generally recover those retaining over 70% of their original weight, while the GameKings would shed the jacket EVERY time and leave a trail of bullet fragments afterward.

In all fairness, I think the GameKings shoot better, but I just can't get them to kill better.

I've used 100-, 85-, and 75-grain 6mms on coyotes and all with the same results: big hole, dead coyote. If you're hide-hunting, you might consider something a little lighter (I've had great luck with a .223, but I've made almost as big a hole with a .22-250 as I have with a .243). If you're shooting for the sake of predator control, I'd recommend the 100-grain .243, simply because it's so versatile and effective on coyotes, deer, and antelope.

Don Fischer's picture
Speer .85 grn .243 ?

Doghouse said:

had quite a run of bad luck with GameKings awhile back. I've used them in 6mm, .308, and in .375 and while they'll shoot nice groups at the range, I seemed to end up tracking a lot of mortally wounded game

I have experienced the same thing with Sierra bullet's. Very accurate but a bomb when hitting animals. I used them in 25cal, 28cal and 30cal all prior to Sierra calling them "Game Kings or the Pro Hunter's". At times I wondered if I should revisit them but Hornady hasn't done enough wrong to make me change. I've only ever recovered two bullet's, one a 117gr Hornady from a 25-06 and a Federal 180gr factory that a guy with me shot. I've had two Sierras that didn't exit but the bullet's in pices everywhere. One might be unfail as I chose a bad bullet for what I did. I shot a black bear with a 140gr Sierra out of a 7mm Rem Mag, the first shot never got inside. The second shot was to the back of the head.

As an all around bullet for the 243, I believe your right about the 100gr. But I use my 243 only for coyotes and stict to fairly fragile bullet's.

Western Hunter,

The 250-3000 was a great deer cartridge and now and again someone does a sort run of them. I guess you don't still have one of those rifle's?

Speer .85 grn .243 ?

I called speer and had a lengthy conservation with a fellow. He said the .85 is just fine for deer and more often than not exit. But, he also said you get a lot of jacket core seperations and pancaked bullet cores just under the hide. He didn't want me to think I was going to get full penentration every time. The more we talked we finally realized we had shared a bear camp in Manitoba a few years back and didn't know it !
Anyway the factory Remington 100 grn shoot well enough at 2956 av. vel. that I will just use them this year and load some more speer 85's later in the season for coyotes, hides aren't worth much here and when yoou kill a coyote you save a deer or turkey. Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Speer Reload Manual #14WesternHunter306/16/2008 11:52 am
130 gr Speer FN.jr1968105/19/2010 11:48 am
accurate load for the 375H&H & 235 gr speer w/IMR406gohip2000309/28/2008 10:49 am
? about speer grand slamsbadbilly57207/10/2007 17:15 pm
Speer BulletsWesternHunter601/31/2012 14:47 pm